shape
carat
color
clarity

How would you set an asscher cut blue Zircon

S

SparkliesLuver

Starzin: haha No worries. I'm going to hijack my own thread for a minute - hope that's ok!

I've found these lovely gem silica and a pretty pezzottaite that I'm considering. Hadn't ever head of pezzottaite before. There's also a peridot cab in the running but I didn't include pictures of it since I'm still deciding (and the vendor is obvious). Hopefully it'll all make sense. ;-)

gemsilica.jpg

pezz.jpg

pezz1.jpg

pezz2.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

And here are some setting inspiration ideas.

_22809.jpg

_22810.jpg

_22811.jpg

_22812.jpg

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono said:
Prima will tweak stones to a better cut if you request it. Jaimeen can give an estimate as to the carat weight loss and the estimated final mm size. This is for future reference if you are still checking out Prima's inventory.

Chrono, I didn't realize this. I thought more about my conversations with Jenna last night and she said they chose these two for me because they weren't too deep since I wanted a ring stone. That makes me wonder if I should ask them if they have any deeper stones which may also mean larger though. Might be worth asking?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
That makes me wonder if I should ask them if they have any deeper stones which may also mean larger though. Might be worth asking?
Why not just ask for a cushion that colour, 10mm+, no window, eye clean and see if they can find one?

The gem silica looks lovely and translucent! As for the pezz... I haven't seen much of it online and that looks to be a great piece! - well done.

Ah.. I see what you mean with the settings (I think) but really anything will work with a faceted stone will work with a cab. It's just that some (many) people tend to think cab=silver, faceted=diamonds.

PS: I like the pink one

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ditto Starzin. Specifying depth can lead to other issues so just ask for good colour, your minimum mm size, eye clean and well cut. Well cut should help minimize stones with cut issues like windowing, possibly shadowing, uneven girdle, perhaps an obvious bow tie, etc.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, Starzin and Chrono. Jenna pulled a couple yesterday and said she'd send photos first thing this morning.

As for the cab/mood ring project, I have a special iron in the fire that I'm waiting to hear back on. :Up_to_something: DH and I talked a lot about it last night, and if the vendor and I can come to an agreement then my two projects will become one (due to what the cab is and the stretched budget). Fingers crossed it comes together, but if not then it's not the end of the world. I really do love the pezz but deep down I'm not a pink person at all, so I had to pass. Maybe I'll post it in "somebody's gotta buy this stone" thread because it is lovely.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yes... I wondered if you would think of that and if it would entice you :Up_to_something:

S

SparkliesLuver

Starzin: hehe It did. It definitely did. :naughty: Still no word about that.

As for my zircon update, here are the two new options Jenna sent. She said the window closed up on her hand in the one I already have so she's certain it'll close in a setting. I still want to play around with it more because I'm not sure I agree.

Zircon 1
10.32 CTS
8.5 x 12.1 x 8.6mm

Zircon 2
8.70 CTS
9.5 x 12.0 x 6.8mm
*She said this has a tilt window but they're 100% certain it'll close once set

blue_zircon_10.jpg

blue_zircon_8.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Eh. Looks like lots of extinction in both of those, especially the second one. The first one also has a big ol' bowtie.

I'd say those would be automatic recuts or rejects for what you want.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would inquire about potential bow tie in 1 and extinction in 2. Could be some sort of camera obstruction but who would know better than the vendor?

S

SparkliesLuver

FrekeChild said:
Eh. I'd say those would be automatic recuts or rejects for what you want.

That was pretty much my gut reaction too, FrekeChild. Didn't know if it was just me. I think I'll spend some time with the one I already have and see what I think. I'm also attending a gem show this weekend.

Chrono, I can definitely ask. She didn't indicate any of those "issues" when discussing them in the email, but I see what you're saying.

S

SparkliesLuver

Here's her exact response. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel after reading this. Others?

"We do not see a bow-tie in blue zircon #1 at all. In certain lights you may see very slight extinction, but being that it's almost non-existent I do not know that it can be considered a bow-tie. Blue zircon #2 is a darker stone, and as such will have darker spots in different lights. That is what gives it it's deep blue color, and is to be expected in such a saturated stone.

Precision cut blue zircons are one in thousands, and it is not likely to find one. Most blue zircons are native cut, and you should expect that they are not perfect. Whether you get a stone from us or someone else, a top stone is going to be this exact material and the same cutting. Although we want you to have the best stone possible for your project, you may need to lower your expectations slightly to find a great stone to work with."

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Darker doesn't mean better saturation but that's another story. From her response, I think zircon 1 warrants a look in person.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1412192097|3760043 said:
Here's her exact response. Honestly, I'm not sure how I feel after reading this. Others?

"We do not see a bow-tie in blue zircon #1 at all. In certain lights you may see very slight extinction, but being that it's almost non-existent I do not know that it can be considered a bow-tie. Blue zircon #2 is a darker stone, and as such will have darker spots in different lights. That is what gives it it's deep blue color, and is to be expected in such a saturated stone.

Precision cut blue zircons are one in thousands, and it is not likely to find one. Most blue zircons are native cut, and you should expect that they are not perfect. Whether you get a stone from us or someone else, a top stone is going to be this exact material and the same cutting. Although we want you to have the best stone possible for your project, you may need to lower your expectations slightly to find a great stone to work with."

#1 Darker tone does NOT equate to finer saturation

#2 I can find a precision cut blue zircon in five seconds. Jeff Davies sells lots of them, and I'm sure any lapidary wouldn't be hard pressed to find the rough to cut for you.

#3 NEVER EVER lower your expectations on a blue zircon. You can lower them on a padparadcha, fine ruby, or a fine sapphire, but blue zircons are not rare stones. You can find a great one in your budget if you keep looking.

S

SparkliesLuver

Chrono, I asked her to send me #1.

Thank you, TL. You totally nailed how I was feeling. I don't like being told I should lower my expectations, especially considering we hadn't even talked budget yet and for a blue zircon.

I've been crossing my fingers and toes for the past 24 hours hoping this would happen...and it did! I've been talking with Adam about the paraiba cab that TL posted in "Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone" thread. After lots of discussion with DH, I made Adam my best possible offer yesterday morning and he accepted it early this morning. I can't believe it! :appl: :love:

Here's the scoop: it is old stock, and he was being conservative by rating it "I" as he said most would probably consider it "SI." I asked him about the black specs in the video and he said there are none in or on the cab so it must be unwanted reflection. I've attached the one photo I asked of him.

I'm sort of beside myself right now because I never thought I'd be able to own a paraiba. :D I can't wait for it to arrive!

Acinom, I remember you saying you considered this cab. Did you ever see it in person?

_22896.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good luck with the Paraiba. I was also very tempted but I know I don't need anymore stones. :bigsmile: It looks beautiful and I hope it will be the right one for you.

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, Chrono. :) I really hope so too! I feel like I could get lost in it. Plus, if it is "the one," I'll have plenty of time to think about a setting (since I won't be able to set it until sometime next year).

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yay!!! You must be thrilled :love:
I can't wait to see how you will set it. It looks like a gorgeous stone.
During my Paraiba quest I did not see this stone in real life. I loved the glow and color of the cab and kept coming back to this stone and was very close of buying it (it had a great price). The only reason why I did not buy it were:
- I wanted a faceted stone
- I wanted a Leon setting and he does not set outside stones

What an outcome for you. A true dreamstone!!!

S

SparkliesLuver

Thank you, Acinom. I am! I really am. I feel like a little girl. haha :dance: Poor DH doesn't love it, but he saw how happy it made me so he said go for it. I'm very thankful that Adam worked with me on the price because our budget was firm.

Thank you for explaining your situation. I wasn't sure how you were connected to it, but it's neat to know you seriously considered it.

It is a true dreamstone. I think someone should pinch me! :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pinch PINCH. Did that work? :tongue:

S

SparkliesLuver

haha That's the closest I'll probably get, so, yes! Thank you, Chrono. ;-)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1412250814|3760475 said:
Chrono, I asked her to send me #1.

Thank you, TL. You totally nailed how I was feeling. I don't like being told I should lower my expectations, especially considering we hadn't even talked budget yet and for a blue zircon.

I've been crossing my fingers and toes for the past 24 hours hoping this would happen...and it did! I've been talking with Adam about the paraiba cab that TL posted in "Somebody's Gotta Buy This Stone" thread. After lots of discussion with DH, I made Adam my best possible offer yesterday morning and he accepted it early this morning. I can't believe it! :appl: :love:

Here's the scoop: it is old stock, and he was being conservative by rating it "I" as he said most would probably consider it "SI." I asked him about the black specs in the video and he said there are none in or on the cab so it must be unwanted reflection. I've attached the one photo I asked of him.

I'm sort of beside myself right now because I never thought I'd be able to own a paraiba. :D I can't wait for it to arrive!

Acinom, I remember you saying you considered this cab. Did you ever see it in person?

Now it is your duty to post tons of pictures of that stone. Congratulations, I had a feeling it was older stock.

I'm into cabochons lately, just set one myself. That will make for a gorgeous ring.

S

SparkliesLuver

You can count on it, TL! ;-) I'll start a new thread when it arrives. Thank you very much. I suspected that as well but wasn't entirely sure.

Oh, really? I'd love to see and hear all about it. Is there a thread?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1412255202|3760520 said:
You can count on it, TL! ;-) I'll start a new thread when it arrives. Thank you very much. I suspected that as well but wasn't entirely sure.

Oh, really? I'd love to see and hear all about it. Is there a thread?

Well, I'm so glad a PS'er got that stone, and Adam is a rock solid vendor. Glad he could sell it to you.

No, I didn't start a thread on it. I might post it in the eyecandy thread.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old stock, old pricing AND open to offers? Wow, you are so lucky. I'm super excited for you. When are you expecting to receive it in your hot little hands?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations! When I posted the paraiba photo and stats, you were on about the gem silica and I thought to myself "ha-huh... wonder how enticing this might be" but decided not to stir the pot as it were.

So pleased it worked out for you and we look forward to many, many photos. I hope when you get it you truly love it :))

I assume all thoughts of zircon have now gone with the wind?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
TL said:
No, I didn't start a thread on it. I might post it in the eyecandy thread.
Please do TL! I'm always up for cab eye candy :love:

S

SparkliesLuver

TL: :) I'll keep an eye out for it.

Chrono: I know! (Where is that fainting icon when you need it?) I wasn't believing it either. Adam was super to work with and this wouldn't have been possible without his flexibility. Thank you. :D I'm not sure yet, but I just emailed him and asked if he could please let me know when it's shipped. That way I can keep an eye on the tracking! Of course, I'd love it if it went out today! :naughty:

Starzin: Thank you! hehe It was definitely enticing. And the more I thought about it, I figured it couldn't hurt to reach out to Adam (especially after DH and I had talked). I'm so glad I did!

haha You'll definitely see a ton of photos, so I hope I don't become crazy-photo-lady. ;-) I genuinely hope so too.

They basically have, yes. As I've learned though, nothing is certain until you see it in person. A close friend is coming into town this weekend (to go to the gem show with me) so I'll show them to her. She's anxious to see them in person since she's been on this journey with me too.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
As you say, nothing is certain till you have the gem in hand and I'm pleased your friend will get to see the zircons IRL.

AND a gem show! My, who's the lucky girl this week then? Don't take money. Freeze the credit card - you can't afford anything now you've bought a paraiba! :lol:

By the way did you ever hear from those FB gem silica people? Where were those last two you posted from please?

S

SparkliesLuver

That's definitely something I've learned. :) Me too! She loves gems just as much as I do, if not more. Her engagement ring is actually a CS.

:lol: You sound like DH. But it's true, I cannot afford anything else now; however, it's more than worth it! Plus, I look forward to spending time with my friend at the show. If nothing else, I'll enjoy her company and get setting ideas. :naughty:

No, I didn't. That was disappointing. The two gem silica I posted were from AJS. Here are the links:

http://www.ajsgem.com/gemstones/gem-silica/gem-silica-5.20-carats.html
http://www.ajsgem.com/gemstones/gem-silica/gem-silica-2.62-carats.html

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results