liao

Shiny_Rock

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Benitoite has

a nice range of colors from colorless to deep blue
a fantastic dispersion
a beautiful dichroism

What you need is a color line - five to six round little stones same size - then you will see the color you love the most! I would buy this first!!

I prefer colorless ( rare ) to light or light to medium blue the see the fantastic dispersion.

Some medium blue are a bit greenish grey masked (dichroism is the reson for that) and deeper blue often have a deep pavillion course of the precious weight. Deep blue is vertical to the c-axis - so most stones are ovals or pears.

Try to get round or trillions! Emerald cuts are awesome too. Avoid sleepy stones or included stones.

WSF is a very good source, Gemtrader too, rarestone.com and Rick Kennedy ( Earthreasure) are vwry good. Avoid Capistrano - they have nice material too but they are too expensive.

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1414929519|3776303 said:
Benitoite has

a nice range of colors from colorless to deep blue
a fantastic dispersion
a beautiful dichroism

What you need is a color line - five to six round little stones same size - then you will see the color you love the most! I would buy this first!!

I prefer colorless ( rare ) to light or light to medium blue the see the fantastic dispersion.

Some medium blue are a bit greenish grey masked (dichroism is the reson for that) and deeper blue often have a deep pavillion course of the precious weight. Deep blue is vertical to the c-axis - so most stones are ovals or pears.

Try to get round or trillions! Emerald cuts are awesome too. Avoid sleepy stones or included stones.

WSF is a very good source, Gemtrader too, rarestone.com and Rick Kennedy ( Earthreasure) are vwry good. Avoid Capistrano - they have nice material too but they are too expensive.

do you mind giving me a short lecture about a,b,c-axis? If I remember correctly, c-axis is the 'length' axis of the rough stone right?

I have something like this
http://www.thegemtrader.com/Jan%2011%20BenSet%20Page.htm

And I prefer something similar to second one from the left. If you have a gia gemset, it is close to vB5/4

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
http://www.mindat.org/min-624.html

Look at the rotating crystal. You can move it with you mouse or finger (ipad)

Rotate it in a position when see exactly the triangle - this is the view along the c-axis. The pale color. Many trilliants, rounds and "windowed " stone are cut with the table vertical to the c-axis.

Rotate it in a position when you exactly look from the side at the crystal. This is the direction with the strongest color - you see why many cut as ovals or pears.

The c-axis it not the longest - in aquamarine the crystal is often a long prism -o.k.

Morganite is often tabular shaped - the c-axis is shorter than a and b.

In Benitoite you see the orientation easy with a dichroscope.

The second left is perfect - my favorite too - but this whole set is gorgous!! The colorless and light blues will look like diamonds - this gem is the closist natural gem to blue diamond.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1414947510|3776379 said:
http://www.mindat.org/min-624.html

Look at the rotating crystal. You can move it with you mouse or finger (ipad)

Rotate it in a position when see exactly the triangle - this is the view along the c-axis. The pale color. Many trilliants, rounds and "windowed " stone are cut with the table vertical to the c-axis.

Rotate it in a position when you exactly look from the side at the crystal. This is the direction with the strongest color - you see why many cut as ovals or pears.

The c-axis it not the longest - in aquamarine the crystal is often a long prism -o.k.

Morganite is often tabular shaped - the c-axis is shorter than a and b.

In Benitoite you see the orientation easy with a dichroscope.

The second left is perfect - my favorite too - but this whole set is gorgous!! The colorless and light blues will look like diamonds - this gem is the closist natural gem to blue diamond.

I like benitoite, but I think some well cut blue spinels also come very close to a blue diamond, although I don't think either really could be a blue diamond simulant. If sphalerite ever came in blue, then that would be a more natural blue diamond simulant. :naughty:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Agree, :D

Sphalerite with a hardness of 7-8 !!! Same with titanite....

Have you seen nice stibiotantalite??? I have a small pure yellow ( would be intense yellow in diamond) one - 0,53 ct - this material is awesome but heavy - looks like a 0,30 ct diamond! A top color for this material!!

http://www.classicgems.net/gem_stibiotantalite.htm

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1414950260|3776395 said:
Agree, :D

Sphalerite with a hardness of 7-8 !!! Same with titanite....

Have you seen nice stibiotantalite??? I have a small pure yellow ( would be intense yellow in diamond) one - 0,53 ct - this material is awesome but heavy - looks like a 0,30 ct diamond! A top color for this material!!

http://www.classicgems.net/gem_stibiotantalite.htm

The thing with sphene (titanite) is that it still doesn't have the same refractive properties of a diamond, but sphalerite comes pretty darn close. I've seen round brilliant yellow sphalerite that most novices would be hard pressed to guess were not diamond.

Do I have to say "stibiotantalite" three time fast? :lol:

It looks like Brad from thegemtrader.com had some.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Marlow|1414954324|3776442 said:
http://www.nhm.org/site/research-collections/mineral-sciences/butterfly-collection

Scroll a bit down an you see a stibiotantalite butterfly

Thanks for the link, those are some gorgeous butterflies. :cheeky: The benitoite one shows some nice stones, which would be of help to the OP on what colors are optimal in these gems.

I don't think I can say any of these mineral names three times fast , except beryl. :tongue:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Too early for tongue twisters - let me have some coffee (maybe with a shot or two) to loosen my tongue first. :lol: In any case, the second from the left would be the ideal colour for me as well. Not too dark but not too light to allow dispersion to show.

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1415050533|3776954 said:
Very nice, a bit grey!

that is exactly what I thought. too gray :(( I think the color around vB3/3

should I snatch this one :confused: The cutting is not that good either

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
No, go for one of the WSF stones you like....

I remember a bright light blue pear - 0,62 ct.

The best deal is the 0,96 ct - 0,05 ct more and the price pct is 3000 and not 1800!!!!!

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1415053039|3776987 said:
No, go for one of the WSF stones you like....

I remember a bright light blue pear - 0,62 ct.

The best deal is the 0,96 ct - 0,05 ct more and the price pct is 3000 and not 1800!!!!!

it is a great deal, but I will not put any weird triangle shaped benitoite into my collection.

Thanks. I think I will get the 0.62 or 0.73ct one

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, both a really nice!! And the size is very good.

And hurry up - here are a lot of lurkers!!!

And if possible take the round 0,26 ct too - 600 pct is top! Normally aroud 900-1000 pct.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow - thank you for the link to the rare stone butterflies! A treat to see some of these rarer stones set :))

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
And some are not really expensive and worth to try - except for a ring maybe...

liao

Shiny_Rock
I just email them. Honestly, I am not sure about the 0.26ct, it is too dark. I hope these benitoite is not sold yet (like that beautiful cat's eye from TGT)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I think his pictures are often too dark - look at the rhodolites and tanzanite.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depends on how picky you are - if you just want something nice, then get it. If you are picky, I'd keep looking.

liao

Shiny_Rock
I just received the benitoite. Honestly, I am not whether the 0.62ct is a real benitoite. The 'lower value' of the refractive index is off quite a lot. It is exactly 1.75. I have not check the density, because I left my gem scale home. Currently, I am visiting my son, and ask the stone to be shipped here :bigsmile:

The 0.26ct, on the other hand, is undoubtedly benitoite. the refractive index match the value in mindat, but the color is pretty dark :(sad

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, you only see one reading course the other is around 1,80 ! It is ok.

You will see doubling of the pavillion facet with your 15x loupe. Buy a dichroskope and you see - even in the pale blue - the strong dichroism.

The deep blue tend to be dark - thats why I prefer the pale blue variety. But price and size is very good. Take it in sunlight.

liao

Shiny_Rock
yeah the 'upper' is correct. Anyway, do you know where can I find the liquid for refractometer in US, or perhaps in nyc? I am almost running out of it, and the one near my home is ridiculously expensive :wall:

what do you mean by "doubling of the pavillion facet"? And how do you know I have 15x loupe? I think most people are using 10x loupe. are you an oracle? :bigsmile:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
You post it before that you have a 15x loupe.

The RI liquid is very expensive - esp. if you need an RI around 1,81 ( mine stops around 1,795)

I don't know in US. Google Anderson liquid, Maybe Rubin & Son ...

Need a new one too - really expensive :knockout:

If you look with your through the table facet down to the facets of the pavillion you see ( like zircon or sphene) a doubling of the facets.

Depend a bit on the orientation of the stone so move it a bit ...

You like the pear?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liao|1415850055|3782463 said:
I just received the benitoite. Honestly, I am not whether the 0.62ct is a real benitoite. The 'lower value' of the refractive index is off quite a lot. It is exactly 1.75. I have not check the density, because I left my gem scale home. Currently, I am visiting my son, and ask the stone to be shipped here :bigsmile:

The 0.26ct, on the other hand, is undoubtedly benitoite. the refractive index match the value in mindat, but the color is pretty dark :(sad

Does it fluoresce under short wave UV? If not, it's not a benitoite.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
It is!!!

Sorry, but this vendor will not sell a fake!!! To my knowledge he cuts the stones - and his father together with the Gray family run the mine for a few years!!! They still have a lot of rough...

liao

Shiny_Rock
Marlow|1415868816|3782557 said:
You post it before that you have a 15x loupe.

The RI liquid is very expensive - esp. if you need an RI around 1,81 ( mine stops around 1,795)

I don't know in US. Google Anderson liquid, Maybe Rubin & Son ...

Need a new one too - really expensive :knockout:

If you look with your through the table facet down to the facets of the pavillion you see ( like zircon or sphene) a doubling of the facets.

Depend a bit on the orientation of the stone so move it a bit ...

You like the pear?

I know it is expensive, but this one is absurd. He asked for a freaking $400 for 10gram. Well, that pear is pretty descend, the color is okay, but the 'spark' is not that great. it looks like a plastic cut diamond rather than benitoite. I think I will give it to one of my client, since she has been longing for benitoite

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results