shape
carat
color
clarity

how to find local retailer who works with pala gems?

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Is there an easy way to find a local retailer who can call in stones from Pala gems? I live sort of the middle of nowhere right now which makes it hard and don't have any local jeweler. or is it better to find someone who has a good contract with pala and then have them ship stones to me to view? I am specifically interested in blue sapphires and can't get to a Intergem show... which seems like it would be the best way to see stones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I get an online vendor to call the stones in, then shipped to me to view. Prices will vary based on what your vendor charges on top of what Pala charges so it's important to me to use a vendor that has competitive pricing to begin with. Also note that Pala's review period is extremely short.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Makes sense. the million dollar question is what vender has competitive pricing? I went through the PS list of recommended colored stone dealers and went cross eyed. i am considering getting a nice blue sapphire and trying to educate myself. have read a ton here on PS and think finding just the right stone can be like climbing Mt. Everest. Just taking the first steps now. :wink2:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ahem....have you considered asking for assistance here in CS? :))

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
yes, yes! I see how helpful folks have been here for others. I am still trying to look at things to be sure this is what I really want and more specifics about size, shape, budget.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They have this store locator on their site:
https://www.palagems.com/find_jeweler.htm
I found it worked best when I entered in my state only.
I don't know which of the recommended PS vendors can order through Pala, but I think I remember Wink from High Performance Diamonds being mentioned once???

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I think Wink Jones works with Pala. Pandora got her tsavorite engagement ring from Pala.

Annette

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know several posters have had Rick call in stones from Pala.
Rick Martin of Art Cut Gems - www.artcutgems.com

Gary has called in some spinels for me.
Dutton's Diamonds (and colored gems) http://www.diamondexpert.com/http://www.escobardiamonds.com/

I am so far out in the boonies that the Pala websearch came up with nothing. :lol: 2Neezers suggestion of entering ONLY the state worked better. My favourite local CS shop made the list whilst the rest are several hours away.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks. I don't know how I missed that link on Pala. I have three in my state, but luckily some are close. However I assume any retailer will mark up a lot more than someone online? I thought it might be cheaper since stone only gets shipped to store and I go in to look rather than ship to online vendor, then to me, then back to online vender. I do understand that it also depends what the retailer wants to add onto the stone price.

I was looking... does anyone have a chart of different colored blue sapphires and the common names of how they would be described.. terms like vivid, medium blue, light blue, etc.

i found this color wheel posted, but real examples of stones would be more helpful and terms that I can use when communicating with venders.

colourwheel_for_stones.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have the GemEWizard chart on my laptop which I'll post tomorrow.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry I could not find a better chart for you. Note that this is only to be used as a starting reference point.

7989383sapphireanalysis.jpg

tono_saturacion_pw.jpg

versioncompletacolores_pw.jpg

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
i dont know if I should start a new thread about characteristics of colors...

but I am wondering if a blue sapphire can "glow" and be "velvety" at the same time? is velvety as a description used more for darker stone colors? i see these words used a lot to describe stones, but some stones definitely look more velvety while others are more electric. from the initial pics that I have seen, the more electric ones seem to be more medium blue and not medium/dark. I have seen a lot of stones with pretty color, but are criticized for not "glowing."

i understand both medium and medium- dark are desirable colors and what I gravitate to compared to the more light stones. I just have not seen a picture of a nice medium-dark blue that does not go black. The nicest color (to my eyes) stones on PS that do not go black seem to be more of a medium blue and electric, but I think i prefer a softer, darker look. I understand why it is best to see these thing in real life!

For instance... how would the color of this stone be described if you were talking technical terms that a dealer would understand? Beyond, obviously, vivid saturation.

This one is more navy... how would one describe this?

And finally... this last one seems to be a different blue than the two posted above. how would one describe this stone?

silksapphire_s_sapph-_vivid_saturation.jpg

oval_sapphire_3_stone_at_scl.jpg

sapphire_with_bril_half_moons_at_scl.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It may be that some people use glow and velvety interchangeable or have a different definition .

Glow - I attribute this to the intensity or high saturation of colour.
Velvety - I attribute this to fine or microscopic inclusions that diffuse the bright or sharp brilliance into a "soft" colour.

So yes, a sapphire can both glow and be velvety at the same time if going by my definition. As much as I love a medium dark blue sapphire, I find it easier to shop for a medium blue sapphire for the reason you mentioned; too many medium dark sapphires have extinction issues. Those that don't black out and yet have that intensity of colour are $$$$$.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Slksapphire's is that perfect trade ideal - medium dark with intense saturation, and I think with a bit of that velvet look.
The second sapphire is less saturated than the first one. Does not appear velvety on my monitor.
The third sapphire looks to be lighter toned (medium light) with high saturation. It also looks to be slightly silky/velvety.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
yes, I agree the second stone is not velvety to my eyes and does not really have any glow either, but I did find it a nice color to me because it is more like a navy blue than a electric blue, but I sense this particular stone is not top notch because it has neither glow or velvet. I am unsuccessful looking for a a picture of a stone this navy color that is higher quality stone.

Green with Envy

Brilliant_Rock
Also wondering if any setting will make stones appear darker? planning on prong setting with side stones.

For example- will a stone with color like this look different once set?

madagascan_sapphire-_jeff_davis.jpg

jefff_davis_mozambique_0.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Green with Envy|1416504613|3787290 said:
i dont know if I should start a new thread about characteristics of colors...

but I am wondering if a blue sapphire can "glow" and be "velvety" at the same time? is velvety as a description used more for darker stone colors? i see these words used a lot to describe stones, but some stones definitely look more velvety while others are more electric. from the initial pics that I have seen, the more electric ones seem to be more medium blue and not medium/dark. I have seen a lot of stones with pretty color, but are criticized for not "glowing."

i understand both medium and medium- dark are desirable colors and what I gravitate to compared to the more light stones. I just have not seen a picture of a nice medium-dark blue that does not go black. The nicest color (to my eyes) stones on PS that do not go black seem to be more of a medium blue and electric, but I think i prefer a softer, darker look. I understand why it is best to see these thing in real life!

For instance... how would the color of this stone be described if you were talking technical terms that a dealer would understand? Beyond, obviously, vivid saturation.

This one is more navy... how would one describe this?

And finally... this last one seems to be a different blue than the two posted above. how would one describe this stone?

The best advice is to show the dealer an accurate photo of a gem you desire. One dealer's definition of "vivid" may not be your own. I've learned that the hard way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results