shape
carat
color
clarity

How much will a CS darken in setting?

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a mounting, from which I removed the center diamond for resetting. I am thinking of having this ring engraved, add a couple of accent diamonds in the engraving design, and have a colored stone center. The previous center was just a smidge over 7mm roundish (OMC diamond). Braga posted a similar "style" if it helps understand what I am after that I will post below, however, my ring is and will remain solid vs "hollowed" out for lack of the appropriate word.

My first thought is to go blue ... spinel, sapphire ... I am not particular about type of stone, so long as it's suitable for setting and semi-frequent wear. I know, though, that since the area for the center is enclosed "under the dome" so to speak, it won't get much light but from the top, and will probably appear darker than if in a more open setting.

My question is - how much darker - on average? I want the end result to be a medium blue ... I am okay with blue/gray, and cornflower blue. I just don't want it going completely black once set. I want to see the facets, sparkle, etc. I am thinking I may need to shop for pretty light colored blues to get the end result I am looking for, but not sure.

I am attaching a picture of the mounting if that helps understand how "enclosed" it will be. Jeff Davies has a couple pretty purple/blue spinels I like as is, but fear they might darken up too much once set.

It would help immensely to see a picture or two of the color I should look for that might help take into account how much it will darken up to land at the right color once it's set. If you have before/after pics of your own stones set to show the difference, please share those!

Thanks so much, in advance, for your expertise!

_20949.jpg

_20948.jpg

_20950.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
You can cover the bottom of the stone with aluminum foil to get an idea.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This type of setting is extremely enclosed and could darken the tone as much as 2 notches. As Pregcurious suggested, shop for a stone anywhere from light to medium light tone and once you have it in hand, cup or foil the stone completely, only leaving the crown open to see how much it darkens.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you both! I would like to "land" in a light to medium tone, so I will probably need to shop for light tones to arrive at my desired destination.

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
JoCoJenn, I always read your threads because you ask good questions. :) Combine that with great answer from the pro's, I learn alot!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It will be a challenge to find a light blue spinel that isn't overly gray; most blue spinels are either on the darker end on the spectrum and if they are light, they tend to be rather steely with the exception of the expensive rare ones. Of course, if you happen to like light gray blues, you are in luck. I think you will find light but bright blue sapphires easier to find.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you, Chrono. I have my eye one lighter blue sapphire that might be perfect, though it's not a round, but I think we can make it work. I am so afraid to post a link to it, though, for fear it will be lurk-snatched. I exchanged a couple emails with the vendor on Saturday night but haven't heard back from him in response to my last question I need to know so I can comfortably pull the trigger on it. :???:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results