shape
carat
color
clarity

How hard would it be to remove this Ruby from this setting?

jvLin

Rough_Rock
It's a fairly small ruby set in what I think is a very thick Bezel setting. Material is 960 silver. Now, if I wanted to remove this ruby without any damage to the stone, how difficult would it be for the average jeweler? I've heard bezel setting is difficult to remove. I've attached images to this post.

Thank you very much!

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Re: How hard would it be to remove this Ruby from this setti

jvLin|1329290946|3126555 said:
It's a fairly small ruby set in what I think is a very thick Bezel setting. Material is 960 silver. Now, if I wanted to remove this ruby without any damage to the stone, how difficult would it be for the average jeweler? I've heard bezel setting is difficult to remove.

Removing hard stones from bezels is easy. Using a hand saw and a deft touch cuts the setting away from around the stone, leaving the stone in excellent condition. This only applies to stones which are well cut and have good surfaces. It also requires that the jeweler have enough experience to avoid running the saw against the edge at the wrong angle, possibly chipping the edge. Since you can't see the edge of the girdle there is no way of telling what it's condition is at present. There is always the possibility of removing a stone which was bezel set in order to hide a previously damaged edge. One should always hope for the best and be prepared for the worst when you can't see what you're working on.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results