carat
color
clarity

how do you find a good BE treated ruby?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want a BE ruby.

I'm comfortable with that treatment from what I've read. And I don't want to be talked out of going that route.

What I do want to know is how you could find a nice one? I looked at multicolour but the ones with colorsi liked had huge windows.

Also I want to be sure its modern BE treatment that goes all the way though the stone not just the surface.

I worry- how do you find a reputable vendor that sells BE treated stones,where you feel comfortable knowing they've disclosed all the treatment? Also, just because its treated, doesn't mean I don't care about cut.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Maybe you email Multicolorgems - think it is no problem for them to find such a stone you like (cutting, color) in Bangkok.

Thaigemstore....?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Jeffrey Davies might have some.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad you made this thread. I've wondered myself. I'd like to see some treated gems in person, and theyre still gonna be really pretty.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Ooh this thread is so timely! Thanks for posting as I'm also on the search for one, for a family member. I'm curious to see any replies.

royalstarrynight

Shiny_Rock
I'm curious as to what makes a "good" BE ruby different than a "good" untreated ruby?

I would consider color, cut, clarity, etc equally important. I'm sure ebay would be a good place to start.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
We don't often get this question as you're probably aware Niel and I'm with Marlow, as long as someone understands what it is and how to care for it - and you do - there are some beautiful BE stones around.

I saw some recently and I'm really trying to remember where... I also think Tan has them on one of his sites - certainly others on ebay. One thing is for sure, if you see very clean rubies without disclosure, move on.

Reaching out to Jeff Davies seems like a good idea, maybe also one of the larger houses based in Thailand?

Niel - I worry- how do you find a reputable vendor that sells BE treated stones,where you feel comfortable knowing they've disclosed all the treatment? Also, just because its treated, doesn't mean I don't care about cut.

If I see that a vendor is disclosing BE then it would be the old "trust but verify" but I've also seen glass-filled disclosed.

Have you tried emailing Multicolour and saying that you want a well-cut, no window, $xxx, BE ruby do they have one or could they recommend where you might try?

TL and Chrono may have suggestions or you could do a Google images search and back-track the vendor that way.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
royalstarrynight|1410159648|3746835 said:
I'm curious as to what makes a "good" BE ruby different than a "good" untreated ruby?

I would consider color, cut, clarity, etc equally important. I'm sure ebay would be a good place to start.

Haha. I'm still looking for all those same qualities in a BE ruby. My point is that they are difficult to find.

My concern with eBay is the trust but verify. I don't want to spend 40 bucks shipping and money on a lab cert on a stone from Thailand in the event that it comes back glass filled.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel,
My only concern with rubies that are diffused, is that they are often times also flux heated (also known as glass in-filling if those bother you) without disclosure. If BE diffused only, their care is no different from any other sapphire because the treatment is permanent and stable. I have seen some reasonably priced diffused rubies on MC, some with good cutting. If nothing catches your eye, I would email David to see what else he has available, specifying you want something non-windowed. IIRC, he has tweaked a few stones for LD in the past.

RSN,
When shopping for any gemstone, regardless of treatment, colour almost always comes first as well. So in the case of a good diffused ruby compared to a good untreated ruby, high saturation and purity of the red hue is the goal.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1410177508|3746882 said:
Niel,
My only concern with rubies that are diffused, is that they are often times also flux heated (also known as glass in-filling if those bother you) without disclosure. If BE diffused only, their care is no different from any other sapphire because the treatment is permanent and stable. I have seen some reasonably priced diffused rubies on MC, some with good cutting. If nothing catches your eye, I would email David to see what else he has available, specifying you want something non-windowed. IIRC, he has tweaked a few stones for LD in the past.

RSN,
When shopping for any gemstone, regardless of treatment, colour almost always comes first as well. So in the case of a good diffused ruby compared to a good untreated ruby, high saturation and purity of the red hue is the goal.

That was exactly my concern as well.

But OK, mc has options outside of what's on the site, is what I'm hearing? And he might be willing to touch up cutting if its not up to par?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Niel|1410178170|3746886 said:
But OK, mc has options outside of what's on the site, is what I'm hearing? And he might be willing to touch up cutting if its not up to par?

Yes, and yes.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1410178260|3746887 said:
Niel|1410178170|3746886 said:

Yes, and yes.

Is it fair to assume that if its BE treated us modern BE treatment that penetrates the whole stone. I don't want a be stone that's had surface treatment.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not make that presumption, not knowing how long the stone has been in circulation. However, surface diffusion is quite easy to detect with the right tools.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
So is this what we're talking about? Can you give us an idea of how much you're willing to spend?

Unfortunately this shop doesn't have any more 8)

for-niel.png

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good question . I have no idea what a fair market value is for such a stone.

MC has stones ranging from .8-2cts and from . $90+$800

My preference for rubies is to be more towards the orange red than pink red, with red being most dominant of course .

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results