shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you feel about green gold for green stones?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
What are people's opinions on green gold and setting green stones in green gold? I'm starting a new project with my 2.51 Gene oval mint garnet and am doing EW marquise diamond sides. I was at the jeweler today and was thinking of going all rose gold. He seemed to think that would be very "different" looking with a green stone. I'm wanting something different but don't want to wash out the stone. I was thinking of a green gold gallery for all three stones and a white gold shank. It is 18k so not incredibly green though they didn't have any to show me. I do love mixing colors of metal and for some reason do not want a YG shank but am not opposed to a yellow head if that's what would look best. I really dislike it when people only use yellow prongs on green or red stones when the rest of the metal is white but I feel like it would work if the whole gallery was yellow (or green) gold. Thoughts?

garnet.png

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
Re: How do you feel about green gold?

SO it is you who got that one!
I would go with the white gold shank and rose gold gallery BUT I would have them make the inside only of the basket green gold. That will preserve the color of the stone from washout and the rose gold basket will make the stone pop!

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I kind of like the look of a minty green stone with pink gold.

kiz-vanadiumchrysring1.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Here's my prasiolite ring from JKT. The stone is such a delicate pale green, and the green gold complemented the color well. I'm not sure how it would look with your stone, but I have a feeling that the green of your stone and the green of the gold may compete with each other and clash. But you could always ask your jeweler's opinion!

prasring1-1.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
not all green gold is created equal and will, therefore, look different from from one jeweler to the next. also, the difference between 18k green and 14k green is very very noticeable.

try and see a sample before the setting is made in order to make sure it is what you want.

personally, i like 18k green gold a lot and think it would go well with your stone....

MoZo

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochi's greenish chrysoberyl set by Whiteflash in green gold is to die for! :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mochi's stone has a lot of yellow in it though, and I like greenish yellow chrysoberyls in a yellowish gold, or green gold. However, I also prefer minty stones in rose gold, and had my mint garnet set in pink gold. I think it makes the gem pop more. The above ring in rose gold was my inspiration for doing that. :love: Thank you Kismet!!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for the responses! I think you've convinced me that I wasn't doing a fashion "don't" to want it in rose gold. I was googling green gold rings and that WF chrysoberyl of Mochi's was the only one I saw I loved in google images. Mostly it was looking like subdued yellow to me and if I do yellow I like it rich and buttery. I also am so adverse to that "black hills gold" style of pink/green/yellow/white all at once in some kind of floral motif. I will change my order to rose, should be cheaper anyway since he won't have to order the alloy special and it can be cast in one piece. He didn't think it would wash the stone out since it has no window he just thought it was an unusual combo. It's one I really like though!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ohhh I was wondering who got that stone! Glad it was someone from here! Also glad you're doing rg w/it-that's what I'd have done too!

Lee Little

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I just want to say that as a smith and a purist, I love green gold. I have used 18k green, which is pretty much yellow but besides the color the more important thing to me was the alloy being so clean, 75% pure gold and 25% pure silver. Best regards, Lee

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
You know, after going back to my "inspiration" folder, I think I'm changing my mind. I originally said green gold would clash with your stone, but look at this ring. It was made by Julia Kay Taylor around the time that she made my prasiolite ring. This will give you a better idea of how green gold would look with a stone of similar color to yours, and it's really nice.

jktleafring1.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results