shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you feel about estate rings?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
As most of you know, I have been on the search for a replacement for my lost e-ring.

Jeff White is looking for a stone, and I've been researching settings for quite some time.

This Leon setting is the one I'm settling on, I think: http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=294

(with a more oval centre sapphire instead of the round ruby). But I love the proportions of this ring.

So I happened upon this one on the New York estate Jewellry website.

What do you think?

Here are the specs as posted:

This is a lovely 18k white gold Sapphire and diamond cluster ring. The Ceylon Sapphire has an approximate weight of 2.45 carats and it is surrounded by 10 round and 2 heart shape diamonds with a total approximate weight of 1.20 carats. The color of the diamonds is G and the clarity is VS1. The ring is size 6.5, but can be resized.

foo7.jpg

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I despise heart shaped diamonds. If you like them and you can examine/audition the ring, why not try it out?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2008 5:55:01 PM
Author: mercoledi
Personally, I despise heart shaped diamonds. If you like them and you can examine/audition the ring, why not try it out?
I have the same issue, the Leon had pears instead but the overall design is so, so similar, I'm tempted.

I'm wondering that they're ok because they're not standing out on their own (like, in a pendant, which I definitely don't like the shape for....)

ETA the hearts look yellower than the rounds...is that just me?

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
They look yellower to me in pic2, but it might just be because the tables are different. Would it be hard/cost effective to get the estate ring and swap out the hearts for pears? Is this someplace you could go visit it before buying?

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2008 7:15:02 PM
They look yellower to me in pic2, but it might just be because the tables are different. Would it be hard/cost effective to get the estate ring and swap out the hearts for pears? Is this someplace you could go visit it before buying?
I would have a harder time adjusting to the colour difference (if there really IS one in real life...) as opposed to the hearts vs pears.

I''ve e-mailed them and asked if they can take a photo outdoors so I can get a sense of the colour of the sapphire...then if it looks promising, it might be worth asking if a pricescoper in the NY area would be willing to go in and take some handshots for me...if that looks good, it would be worth a flight to NYC (I''m in Canada).

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don''t mind heart shape as *sidestones*. I bet IRL you wouldn''t even be able to tell they are hearts. I think it is pretty.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
That is a really pretty ring. I don''t think you will ever notice the hearts. In fact, they probably fit in more compactly on the sides than pears would. I think it is a small detail that you would have to point out to people, sort of like heart-shaped prongs, for example.

The real question is if the sapphire is the right one.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/14/2008 10:11:31 PM
Author: Fly Girl
That is a really pretty ring. I don''t think you will ever notice the hearts. In fact, they probably fit in more compactly on the sides than pears would. I think it is a small detail that you would have to point out to people, sort of like heart-shaped prongs, for example.

The real question is if the sapphire is the right one.
Exactly. I''m not sure that it''s too light...so I''ve e-mailed them and asked for an outdoor handshot to try and get an idea.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
OK so I got the handshots of the ring.

It is definitely too light and I''m not fussed about how flat the setting sits. Also, I still see tinges of yellow in the heart sidestones which is a dealbreaker for me.

Oh well...thought you might enjoy the pics though. Here you go

foo12.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I actually really really like it LS. And I don''t think that that was taken outside. The lighting isn''t right.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/16/2008 8:40:03 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I actually really really like it LS. And I don't think that that was taken outside. The lighting isn't right.
You may be right, Freke. But I can't say for sure...If I didn't see the yellow I'd almost snap it up, it is SO CLOSE to what I want...

If only I had a friend in NYC who could go in and take some real pics for me on girly fingers so the setting's not all squished down.......
8.gif

I'm too far away (Canada) to take a trip just for a looksee...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do have any issues with estate rings - in fact, I love them for 2 reasons:
1. Great pricing
2. Antique design

The design looks very pretty and with metal prices these days, it could be a very good buy. I presume the sapphire is heated? It looks to be a very pleasant blue in the picture. I''d recommend getting an appraiser and looking at it in person. Certainly would be worth your time if you like it.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
I agree with Freke, that picture was taken inside...lovely pictures and I love the ring. That blue is gorgeous. I know you prefer the darker blues...but as someone who owns one, mmmmm this ring you posted is just deliciously blue and as you know the darker ones can look so dark inside. There are some NYC folks on here... The ring is from Israel Rose? Sometimes when I''m cranky at work I just scroll through their rings, life seems more beautiful after that, thinking about all of the people who were in love and the art that the ladies wore.

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Saw this ring and thought of you because of the side treatment. Just another variation of your amazing ring.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Hey Lost, I know you''ve been knocking around on Leon''s site, but did you run across this beauty? It looks like what you want, except for the pave on the shank.

r1011_008Ww.jpg

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love estate rings as long as they are TRULY what I want. I love the ring you posted with the exception of the hearts...you don''t want to settle after this long if you don''t like them either...

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Mercoledi: Looks a bit *cocktailey* to me....
2.gif

err.......oops, not supposed to say that am I??
1.gif

The stone is massive and I'd have to sell my car to get that one!

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 11:04:00 AM
Author: neatfreak
I love estate rings as long as they are TRULY what I want. I love the ring you posted with the exception of the hearts...you don''t want to settle after this long if you don''t like them either...
Hello NF

I agree with you 100%. I''ve spent the week talking to myself about this one, and am now sure that I''d be "settling" if I took it.

The fact that it was about 1/2 of my budget almost pushed me to the other side but I kept thinking about how I''d feel years down the road (FOR D*MN SURE I''M NOT GONNA LOSE THIS NEW ONE!!!) if I cut corners now.

So we wait for WhitesGems to come up with "the one"....JEFF, ARE YOU OUT THERE??
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 12:20:35 PM
Author: LostSapphire
Looks a bit *cocktailey* to me....
2.gif

err.......oops, not supposed to say that am I??
1.gif

The stone is massive and I''d have to sell my car to get that one!

Lol. LS you are so funny.
1.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 12:23:33 PM

Hello NF

I agree with you 100%. I''ve spent the week talking to myself about this one, and am now sure that I''d be ''settling'' if I took it.

The fact that it was about 1/2 of my budget almost pushed me to the other side but I kept thinking about how I''d feel years down the road (FOR D*MN SURE I''M NOT GONNA LOSE THIS NEW ONE!!!) if I cut corners now.

So we wait for WhitesGems to come up with ''the one''....JEFF, ARE YOU OUT THERE??
1.gif

Then you should wait for sure. I wholeheartedly agree with Mrs. Salvo''s saying "A deal is only a deal if you are getting exactly what you want". It is so true.

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 12:27:40 PM

Date: 6/20/2008 12:23:33 PM

Hello NF

I agree with you 100%. I''ve spent the week talking to myself about this one, and am now sure that I''d be ''settling'' if I took it.

So we wait for WhitesGems to come up with ''the one''....JEFF, ARE YOU OUT THERE??
1.gif

Then you should wait for sure. I wholeheartedly agree with Mrs. Salvo''s saying ''A deal is only a deal if you are getting exactly what you want''. It is so true.

"Paging Jeff White"............
3.gif

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
You got a problem with cocktails?
martini.gif

2.gif

It is a bit much I suppose...

There''s supposed to be a new Jeff White ''drop'' this week- I can''t wait!
Not that I have a gem budget
38.gif
. Someday...

shinyrocks

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/20/2008 12:33:14 PM
martini.gif

2.gif

38.gif
. Someday...
Yep. I got that same email. Waiting with an itchy trigger finger
11.gif
9.gif

LostSapphire

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/20/2008 12:33:14 PM
martini.gif

2.gif

38.gif
. Someday...

Absolutely NOT!
2.gif
And I''m not gonna go there in this thread!!! But I couldn''t resist with that honker from Leon Mege!

stacy

Shiny_Rock
LostSapphire -- I''m glad you''ve decided to wait and get exactly what you want. I know one thing -- if Jeff finds the right color and cuts it, it will be AMAZING! I know waiting is hard -- I am waiting for him to find a red spinel for me and it takes a while -- I also thought about trying to get someone else to find it for me. But I''ve decided to wait it out!

Do you think you''ll ask Leon Mege to set your stone, once you get it? That would be awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results