shape
carat
color
clarity

How do you decide to give away/sell a CS?

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Pregcurious said:
My last holy grail stone is a emerald; I need to go see some emeralds in person to get used to them. I think Intergem is my best bet. I won't buy one the first time.

How good are you at resisting temptation and impulse... or would you like me to pass on an old financial adviser's trick :Up_to_something:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
TL they really are horror stories and I'm pleased you were able to recover your money and eventually got one you love for a bargain - what a lovely surprise! You deserved it after the trauma!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Starzin|1390033177|3595327 said:
TL they really are horror stories and I'm pleased you were able to recover your money and eventually got one you love for a bargain - what a lovely surprise! You deserved it after the trauma!

Thanks Starzin, I just don't want people to relive my horror stories at these gems shows. BTW, there's tons of diffused sapphires there as well, but many vendors do not disclose treatment.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Starzin|1390033047|3595326 said:
How good are you at resisting temptation and impulse... or would you like me to pass on an old financial adviser's trick :Up_to_something:
Please pass it on. I'm pretty good at impulse control though.

TL, that is a nightmare. Mental note: no B&B!

Freke, I don't mind if we meander onto other subjects since this topic is not really focused anyway.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
FrekeChild|1389997899|3594976 said:
:wink2: I have a lavender/periwinkle problem.

Ditto! I have not one but two rooms in my house that are periwinkle blue. Plus half of my wardrobe, and an ever-increasing collection of tanzanites, sapphires and blue diamonds. Most of which I love, but that aren't the exact shade I wanted.

No lavender spinels yet though.

When I haven't worn something in two years and I want to replace or upgrade it, I think about selling. Thinking is as far as I've gotten yet though. I too am intimidated about the whole process (pics, listing, etc.). Although I shouldn't be. I spend hours taking pics of my jewelry.
I think that I'm not yet over how much of a loss I'll take selling any of the pieces.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My obsession is blue blue/purple sapphires. They are so beautiful and durable! I am gentle on my rings and remove them for any work, but I find I tend to sell items that are not as durable. If I can't imagine myself coming back to it in 10 years I sell it.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
periwinklegirl|1390065656|3595502 said:

Ditto! I have not one but two rooms in my house that are periwinkle blue. Plus half of my wardrobe, and an ever-increasing collection of tanzanites, sapphires and blue diamonds. Most of which I love, but that aren't the exact shade I wanted.

No lavender spinels yet though.

When I haven't worn something in two years and I want to replace or upgrade it, I think about selling. Thinking is as far as I've gotten yet though. I too am intimidated about the whole process (pics, listing, etc.). Although I shouldn't be. I spend hours taking pics of my jewelry.
I think that I'm not yet over how much of a loss I'll take selling any of the pieces.
That's awesome! I have a periwinkle color picked out for a wall in our laundry room, but I haven't painted it (we moved in in September) and unless I see us staying here for a while, I think it will probably stay it's neutral oatmeal color.

I know this will shock everyone, but the main living space in our house has various shades of teal, our bedroom is teal/seafoam, our bathrooms are both pool blue with a tinge of green. Only my daughter's room is lavender and teal.

I've found that I take so many pictures of my stuff when I first get it/randomly when I'm taking pictures of stuff, that when I decide to list something, I typically don't have to take any pictures at all. BUT, I take way too many pictures!

You need a lavender/periwinkle spinel PG! Even if it's small!

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
periwinklegirl|1390065656|3595502 said:

I agree. Once a you invest in the setting it in gold or platinum, it becomes a big loss.

I would set in silver, but I find the setting process very stressful, so I usually don't set at all until I know for sure. It takes me about 6 months + to fully evaluate if a stone is a keeper, and sometimes more than that to determine how to set it.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
ilovegemstones|1390066829|3595515 said:
My obsession is blue blue/purple sapphires. They are so beautiful and durable! I am gentle on my rings and remove them for any work, but I find I tend to sell items that are not as durable. If I can't imagine myself coming back to it in 10 years I sell it.

Yeah, I try to stick to sapphires or spinels for durability. I would be so upset if I loved a stone and it got damaged badly. I guess if I'm going to get an emerald, I should put it in a pendant. Shoot. Then I can't stare at it.

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know the feeling about not being able to stare at it! I am glad I am not the only one. I wear my emerald ring freely but it was not expensive. I worry more about my tanzanite and zircon ring because they are so brittle.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
How fragile are tanzys?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results