shape
carat
color
clarity

How do ring stones actually hold up for everyday wear?

Cedar_lea

Rough_Rock
So I fell in love with a faceted sunstone the other day. . . . . .

My boyfriend and I have been together for awhile, so long that my friends with similar relationship lengths are all getting married, so we're beginning to talk about rings.. He is very opposed to diamonds. I just want something big and sparkly. I'm thinking a pale color other than pink, I'm loving the almost clear sparkly stones. I talked to a local jeweler and he suggested either a pale Montana sapphire or a white sapphire with some color. Of course he didn't have any examples in sock, so I couldn't see them in person. I researched online a bit and realized that I do really like the idea of the Montana sapphire because I like the natural US mined element, but I also realized that if picking out my stone isn't an option than purchasing it myself online is best.

Than I thought some more. I'm only looking at sapphires because of the hardness issue, and I don't know how big of a deal that really is. I have an opal ring from a previous marriage that I've been wearing since 2012 in a standard 4 prong setting with no issues. It is synthetic, and I did hear that they're a little more durable than the natural once. It's also not a faceted stone so I'm sure there's small scuffs that would have damaged it if it were cut to be sparkly . . . . . But still there's a lot of stones that would be what I'm looking for between sapphire and opal.

So, those of you with everyday wear sparkly non-diamond rings -- how are they holding up?

Any other advise anyone wants to send my way is also appreciated.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I find that PS is very focused on durability so you will probably get recommendations to stick with sapphire, spinel and certain types of garnet if you don't like diamonds but personally I think as long as you are aware of the risks and match the stone with your life style - then you should pick whatever YOU want!

I'm an office worker and I wear a huge natural Zircon most days, not a scratch on it even though it would not be recommended as an engagement ring stone. One of my favourite sites to visit is this one: http://www.hkjewellery.co.uk/web/page/engagement-ring-galleries they use a huge range of gem stones and have some great unique designs to browse. If you love sunstone - I say go for it. :naughty: Perhaps just choose a simple claw setting so the stone could easily be replaced if need be. I see many people IRL here wearing "softer" stones such as emerald, opal, topaz or moonstone as engagement rings for years with no major issues. :wavey:

Cedar_lea

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the advice! You're already expanding my options. I've already been given my favorite stone by the ex so I kind of hav an open playing field as far as stone choice. I think I'm really just obsessed with facets right now, but I don't want anything that looks like it wants to be a diamond, so a little color is preferable. I keep wanting to like morganite, but pink is my least favorite color so I know I'd eventually get sick of that. So I'm looking for the thing that no jeweler carries because everyone wants bold color or no color. I'm also don't want anything really delicate, but I don't want my boy to feel like he could afford the ring in the not too distant future so options are good. I hadn't explored spaniel or considered garnet, if there is even pale garnets. . . . Or zircon for that matter. I just don't know how different durability is when you're talking faceted jewelry. I love the sunstone, but if its not going to wear well there's other options that I also like. I've drooled over aquamarine, topaz, and amethyst but I'm not sure if they're going to get cloudy with wear.

I'm sure like with most thing results vary, but I also know that by all reports my opal ring should have broken before now so I don't know how serious the durability issue really is.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HotPozzum|1410217141|3747288 said:
Well I find that PS is very focused on durability so you will probably get recommendations to stick with sapphire, spinel and certain types of garnet if you don't like diamonds but personally I think as long as you are aware of the risks and match the stone with your life style - then you should pick whatever YOU want!

I'm an office worker and I wear a huge natural Zircon most days, not a scratch on it even though it would not be recommended as an engagement ring stone. One of my favourite sites to visit is this one: http://www.hkjewellery.co.uk/web/page/engagement-ring-galleries they use a huge range of gem stones and have some great unique designs to browse. If you love sunstone - I say go for it. :naughty: Perhaps just choose a simple claw setting so the stone could easily be replaced if need be. I see many people IRL here wearing "softer" stones such as emerald, opal, topaz or moonstone as engagement rings for years with no major issues. :wavey:

and chrysoberyl of course :dance:

if you want something in between pale and deep, i feel like thats a great option, they usually come in a yellow or yellow green/ chartreuse color. Or they are sometimes a more seafoam green, but those are much more difficult to find .

examples
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-chrysoberyls.202304/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-us-your-chrysoberyls.202304/[/URL]

Cedar_lea

Rough_Rock
That chrystoberyl is really interesting. I really like the one that is described as soft lemonade color in the thread you linked. It seems to have that inner glow that made me love the sunstone, and poking around online this men's ring is really similar in color to the sunstone that made me start wanting a sparkly rock on my finger. http://www.mensjewelryformen.com/mens-jewelry-rings-MR-176.html -- I have to find a way to see some of these in person!

If beryls are a good option does that mead aquamarine wears well too? That's another that makes me all excited.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cedar_lea|1410222565|3747351 said:
That chrystoberyl is really interesting. I really like the one that is described as soft lemonade color in the thread you linked. It seems to have that inner glow that made me love the sunstone, and poking around online this men's ring is really similar in color to the sunstone that made me start wanting a sparkly rock on my finger. http://www.mensjewelryformen.com/mens-jewelry-rings-MR-176.html -- I have to find a way to see some of these in person!

If beryls are a good option does that mead aquamarine wears well too? That's another that makes me all excited.

heres the tricky part. A chrysoberyl isnt a beryl.

silly i know, but a beryl is not good for everyday wear, where a chryso is.

That lemonade one is mine. it is a very light yellow.
They are actually quite affordable as well. Though a little hard to find, that yellow on is 6.5x6.5 cushion and was only about $200

Cedar_lea

Rough_Rock
Oooo that is pretty, and not tiny either. I noticed that the pricing was nice, especially on the lighter colored ones that I'd be looking for.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm not sure if I can post this but they can take it down if needed.
Diamond really is the most durable and sparkly gem.

If your opposition to diamond is how the natural ones are mined/marketed/priced there are also man-made ones.
If you don't want it to look like a diamond to 99.999% of the public get one that's been grown in a lab that comes in one of many colors.

Cedar_lea

Rough_Rock
Thanks Kenny. It's really my boyfriend's objection not mine, although I find most diamonds a little boring so I'm not fighting him on it. He feels that they've been made artificially scarce and expensive, so its not even the typical blood diamond objection.

That said I'd probobly be wanting a little color anyways, so I'd be looking outside of the average ring styles anyways. I'm from a family with rock hounds (sadly a generation too fat back for me too have been involved in more than looking at the pretties) so I appreciate stones that are a little off more than typical mall gems. I do love some of the design work that can be done with pave diamonds that aren't really done with other gems, so I definately have some appreciation, but unless they're in an intricate design or cut so you get remarkable rainbows I'd typically prefer something else.

I haven't had much faceted jewelry, so I'm probobly fairly easy to impress with sparkle.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I focus on durable stones (diamond, spinel, sapphire, jade), but I have opals and moonstones. If you have a softer stone, be careful about how you wear it. I have a diamond halo with a eternity band that I wear mostly to work or for social events, and I take it off when I walk in the door because the small stones are vulnerable to falling out. I have a plain gold band for all the other days.

Natural colored diamonds in appealing colors are truly rare, and they are beautiful. The downside is that they are expensive.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cedar_lea|1410227110|3747421 said:
Oooo that is pretty, and not tiny either. I noticed that the pricing was nice, especially on the lighter colored ones that I'd be looking for.

I'll admit I am quite the chryso fan, so don't let me convince you if they aren't you're thing . But when cut well, they can have a really great sparkle. Also they aren't too popular, so they are very reasonable in price . And that sounds to me that your Bf Could appreciate that they haven't been inflated by popularity.

Plus, they can be quite lovely .

But I'll get off my soap box hahah

Cedar_lea

Rough_Rock
Neil -- your soapbox is the sort of thing I was looking for. I didn't want to just blindly decide it had to be sapphires, and I'm really liking alot of things about the chrysoberyl. Its got alot of the things that made me like the sunstone going for it. I wish I knew where to find it in person. Your collection wouldn't happen to live in Oregon ;-)

Is there anything you suggest to look for in a good cut, especially since I'll be looking at one of the paler colors so the cut will be what keeps it from being bland.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cedar_lea|1410229788|3747458 said:
Neil -- your soapbox is the sort of thing I was looking for. I didn't want to just blindly decide it had to be sapphires, and I'm really liking alot of things about the chrysoberyl. Its got alot of the things that made me like the sunstone going for it. I wish I knew where to find it in person. Your collection wouldn't happen to live in Oregon ;-)

Is there anything you suggest to look for in a good cut, especially since I'll be looking at one of the paler colors so the cut will be what keeps it from being bland.

Haha sadly no. Are there any gem shows you could go to near pyou?

Cedar_lea

Rough_Rock
Good call! I just checked when the gem show is and its next month! I thought it was a couple months ago. I'm happy to have an excuse to get out to the gem show again. I've only been to small town shows, and this would be a big city sized one!

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
Niel|1410228949|3747442 said:
But I'll get off my soap box hahah

Niel, your soapbox is why I find myself checking out chrysoberyls now, even though I never really thought much about that color range before. Keep preaching! :p

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I have just found another gemstone that I love. Its called rutilated quartz. Its clear quartz with golden rutiles going through the stone, which gives it a metalic shimmer. I think pretty durable, and inexpensive, while beautiful. Not a favorite place to look for jewels, but JTV showed some beauties last week. Don't order anything with black in it(tourmalated). Its my new favorite inexpensive stone.

Annette
www.JTV.com

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
While it is very pretty, but quartz will not hold up to everyday wear. It will get scratched very easily because quartz is everywhere. It's main component of regular sand.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cabochons hold up MUCH better than faceted stones.
For the faceted version, if it is a common variety and inexpensive, you can always replace it when it gets worn/chipped/damaged.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Forgot to add that synthetic opals are more durable than natural opals because many are impregnated with resin.

Cedar_lea

Rough_Rock
Thanks chrono! I kind of knew that was the case but I couldn't remember all the details. Everyone was so adamet that my opal would die that it made me skeptical of the hardness rule. I knew that faceted stones would be a more delicate option, but I didn't just want to assume it has to be sapphire. I know that there's more to the issue than just hardness, and the reasons not to use emerald totally make sense, but I'm still not sure where the line is for other 7+ hardness stones. I'm just trying to make sure there isn't something amazing being overlooked or disreguarded (like the crystoberyl). I want to make sure that he has as many options as possible to get me what I want. Plus I like seeing the pretty rocks. :)

Cedar_lea

Rough_Rock
Thanks chrono! I kind of knew that was the case but I couldn't remember all the details. Everyone was so adamet that my opal would die that it made me skeptical of the hardness rule. I knew that faceted stones would be a more delicate option, but I didn't just want to assume it has to be sapphire. I know that there's more to the issue than just hardness, and the reasons not to use emerald totally make sense, but I'm still not sure where the line is for other 7+ hardness stones. I'm just trying to make sure there isn't something amazing being overlooked or disreguarded (like the crystoberyl). I want to make sure that he has as many options as possible to get me what I want. Plus I like seeing the pretty rocks. :)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MOH only tells one picture about the wearability of a gemstone. MOH is the scaled used to measure hardness, which is about how scratch resistance a gem is. For e-rings which take a lot of abuse over many years, people recommend MOH 8 and up but with care, one can wear something around MOH 7.

Other factors to be considered:
Clarity
Cleavage planes
Brittleness
Thermal shock/sensitivity

http://www.gemsociety.org/article/hardness-and-wearability
http://www.allaboutgemstones.com/gemstone_durability.html

SPSGuy

Rough_Rock
Hi,

Some good replies and advice in the thread here. I would just add that durability is especially important in rings (and bracelets) than other kinds of jewelry as they received far more wear and tear. In general, go for something higher on the moh's scale (>7.5 I would say), and also some gemstones (like Emerald) are high on the mohs scale but can be (relative to other beryls) brittle in some circumstances, so I would watch out for that.

I would say based on what you've talked about so far, think about a beryl or chrysoberyl. If you were thinking sapphire, maybe Aquamarine? The colors can be less bold and its a reasonably durable stone.

Check out my site in my sig for more choices, I have a chart there where you can organize by hardness.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Chrono|1410524949|3749634 said:
Other factors to be considered:
Clarity
Cleavage planes
Brittleness
Thermal shock/sensitivity

One more thing to consider is the setting style and how it affects impacts on a stone. A tightly set white gold bezel will allow no give if the stone is strongly impacted, whereas any prong setting will give some small shock absorption. Sapphires are typically more shock resistant than anything but diamonds and yet my dear sister has nearly knocked all three sapphires out of a three stone bezel set ring that I made for her just a few years ago. Let's see, here's a picture of that piece. All of the damage occurred around the perimeter of the stones and not where the actual impact occurred. She does a lot of filing and office stuff and said that she never noticed any impacts, (I guess the ring insulated her from that).
The moral of the story is to make sure that you match the setting style AND stone type to your intended uses for the ring.

three_rounds_bezels.jpg

Cedar_lea

Rough_Rock
I think I need a definition of bezel. I've always thought of it as the metal in watch backs that makes me break out in hives. Is bezel also the name for any setting that goes around a stone?

I'm a floral designer so I definately work with my hands. There's quite a bit of squeezing then into small places and using bleach to sterilize buckets and alot of glass, metal, and wood to bump into. I would never describe myself as someone who is careful about the things she wears. My opal ring has lost a tiny channel set diamond somewhere along the line, but the opal is still in tact and showing its colors nicely.

Cedar_lea

Rough_Rock
I also wanted to say that that ring is really beautiful. I'm assuming its a photo after you repaired it because I don't see any damage.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results