shape
carat
color
clarity

Horse head shaped FCD

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I know this is awful, but allI can think about right now is The Godfather.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He is the only dealer I know of that sells horse head shaped diamonds. There may be others, but I don't know. I suppose they're popular for people into Equestrian sports, or who own horses.

It was probably a very shallow wide stone to begin with.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Elliot - now I can't get the thought out of my head :mrgreen:

TL - I wasn't aware that diamond rough could grow in such strange shapes. I assumed diamonds conformed to some kind if growth shape, like cube or octahedral. I don't know anything about crystalline formation and if someone could elaborate I would be interested. What would cause a diamond to grow a certain way, anyway?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I think it's really neat, plain. The setting is awful; hard to tell even what it is. I like the color & the idea is unusual -- do they sell those often or is this a one-off? If I bought it, I'd somehow have it hang as a pendant without any other setting, or it would make a super brooch. Interesting use of the shape of the rough.

--- Laurie

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1390150095|3596180 said:
He is the only dealer I know of that sells horse head shaped diamonds. There may be others, but I don't know. I suppose they're popular for people into Equestrian sports, or who own horses.

It was probably a very shallow wide stone to begin with.
I actually ha seen this somewhere else. Let's see if I can did it.

katharath

Ideal_Rock
This was new to me, wow!! Thanks for posting it. That's so odd looking to me, lol.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting. I agree that the first picture would make a great brooch for someone who frequents, or is involved in horse racing, but the ring is... ummm... well... butt ugly :lol: and has ruined the outline.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Maybe in a bezel on a long chain. For an old lady who has some racehorses or something. I imagine her southern :lol:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw this cut of diamonds at a jewellery exhibition when I was out in Hong Kong last November, either as loose stones, or finished jewellery as rings for gents.

They can look quite tasteful simply bezel-set in a chunky setting.

DK :))

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
I had only seen one before, I think also on DBL. I wonder why horse heads instead of, say, dog heads? I would think there are more dog people than there are horse people, right? If someone cut a diamond in the shape of me departed Italian Greyhound I'd be all over it :love:

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I wouldn't know what it was unless you told me, even then it's a stretch. I will file this away along with heart shaped stones in the "waste of rough" folder. :saint:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1390187943|3596709 said:
I wouldn't know what it was unless you told me, even then it's a stretch. I will file this away along with heart shaped stones in the "waste of rough" folder. :saint:

Ha! those are hardly comparable. Someone have me a free chubby heart in a baguette setting, im all over it. A free horse head in a baguette setting? hmmmmm no thanks.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
The more I look at it, the more charming I think the 1st one is. If I were a horse person, I'd definitely have that made into a pendant or a brooch. A wealthy horse person, that is.

It's hardly comparable, but along those lines, I bought this 14k Siberian at the National Specialty. It's kind of fun to have, so I can dig how a horse lady would feel. (Or a diamond lady.)

_13879.jpg

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1390223702|3596858 said:
The more I look at it, the more charming I think the 1st one is. If I were a horse person, I'd definitely have that made into a pendant or a brooch. A wealthy horse person, that is.

It's hardly comparable, but along those lines, I bought this 14k Siberian at the National Specialty. It's kind of fun to have, so I can dig how a horse lady would feel. (Or a diamond lady.)
Totally agree :))

Your lovely brooch is no doubt more meaningful because you have been involved with Siberians for so long. How ever that too is not sooo obvious to someone else looking at it for the first time. I think that's what the diamond has too though it could have been more sympathetically set.

ETA: This type of thing is also more obvious in context i.e. at a race, meet or show imply because other like-minded people are there and will spot the similarity to subject more readily I should think.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Elliot86|1390145440|3596128 said:

That is so weird.
Doncha know I work up one morning to find the stone in my bed after dissing a prominent PS member :twirl:

Whoever compared the shape to heart shapes was spot on.
Both are cut from shallow oddly shaped rough known as a "Mackel"
Both came into being in the early '60's as tooling technology increased with regard to diamond cutting tools.
For whatever reason, heart shapes are far more common than horse head shaped diamonds.

As far as the ring- we've done many different styles using horse head diamonds.
Personally I like unusual designs that don't place prongs on the horsie's head. Even a bezel will tend of obscure some of the finer details.
This one was a very heavy men's ring- and was extremely well received by it's new owner....as well as me. But of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Exactly, Starzin. I'd wear that horse at a race, horse show, or especially at the party afterward. Although, since it's a diamond tschochke, I might wear it elsewhere too, just to show off. :D

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry gotta run but I'll be back to ask questions David.

JF what's a " diamond tschochke" please? Saves me Googling it when I get back ;-)

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
JewelFreak|1390264466|3597281 said:
Exactly, Starzin. I'd wear that horse at a race, horse show, or especially at the party afterward. Although, since it's a diamond tschochke, I might wear it elsewhere too, just to show off. :D
Gotcha... and ditto!!

I shall translate as "diamond trinket"... ta muchly Freke.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Rockdiamond|1390264408|3597280 said:
Elliot86|1390145440|3596128 said:

That is so weird.
Doncha know I work up one morning to find the stone in my bed after dissing a prominent PS member :twirl:
Starzin >> :lol: :shock:

Both came into being in the early '60's as tooling technology increased with regard to diamond cutting tools.
For whatever reason, heart shapes are far more common than horse head shaped diamonds.

As far as the ring- we've done many different styles using horse head diamonds.
Personally I like unusual designs that don't place prongs on the horsie's head. Even a bezel will tend of obscure some of the finer details.
Starzin >> Totally agree with leaving prongs out of it and appreciate the design effort to imitate a bridle

This one was a very heavy men's ring- and was extremely well received by it's new owner....as well as me. But of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Starzin >> I apologise for an insensitive comment... I should have perhaps tempered it with "not my taste" but para-phrasing, you are right, to each his own and what matters of course, is that the new owner is delighted with it. I'm pleased for you that it had a ready sale.
I think my brain also has a problem wrapping around what's happening in the middle of the ring - is there a reflective plate underneath in the manner of Peter Lees' pendants?
ETA: Just went back and saw I had totally missed the side shots showing precisely that! Duh... :???: I actually do like the tiered effect too... gee I guess you might just know what you're doing after all :lol: :lol: :lol:
(note to self: brain in gear before opening mouth)

Also, is it slightly sort of 3D up the nose to between the ears?

I think you could get a run of requests on these from horse owners/trainers with entries in the (British) Grand National or the Melbourne Cup!! (sorry I know there's a big horse race in the US but can't remember where :oops: )

I also saw the white horse head pair - please tell me they were set as earrings.
http://rockdiamond.com/index.php/je...matching-horse-head-diamonds--157total-weight

Can't get over the ears and mouth on (all) these horsies - I really DO think they're great :))

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Rockdiamond|1390264408|3597280 said:

Thanks for chiming in, that's very interesting. I guess hearts are more common because there is more demand for them but the horse ones are pretty amazing with their careful detailing in my opinion, almost like a sculpture or figurine. I would love to see one in person some day :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the horse head shape and although I dislike the setting, I understand it was done so to amp up the colour and protect the points.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
Not something I'd buy myself, but it's cool! I also don't like the setting, although I do appreciate the use of gold over the stone to look like a bridle.

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bridle. Not bridal. :wacko:

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, that pair was sold as earrings- I did not have pics of those, but here's how we combined the bridal look, with prongs on another pair
Thanks! I can imagine they look quiite stunning :))

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I want dangly horse diamond earrings. I want a horse parure. I can't believe I am the only PSer who likes these.

Dreaming about horse diamonds...

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Being a horse person I would rock that in a simple pendant on a thicker fancy link chain! But sorry Rock - not that setting. It kind of gets lost.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results