shape
carat
color
clarity

Hi , my trade name is Moonstone....

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So guys I've been away but it I've been watching :mrgreen: I don't think there's ever been a real discussion here as to the different types of moonstone because there are several varieties that fall under this trade name.

So I went and look at lots (and lots) and the reality is, you can't tell by looking at it.
http://www.jckonline.com/article/294337-Labradorite_s_Blue_Rainbow_Moonstone_.php

Like for instance:

That apparently isn't traditional moonstone (orthoclase feldspar)

But this one is:

Both images come from GIA's website btw.

So I started doing some extra digging on the internet. Apparently Classic Moonstone will flash blue or white, no other colors. If there's other colors, its not a classic moonstone though the body color (not the flash) can be different colors.

I also found that white labradorite also comes from India is can be also called 'rainbow moonstone. Geeze o pete, its a lot to keep straight!

Anyway There's lots more to learn from where I sit. I have to say I didn't know what I was dipping my toe in when I decided to really look around!

I will post all the info I found in another post.

moonstone_ring.jpg

traditional_moonstone.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Moonstone is a type of transparent feldspar, which is supposedly the most abundant mineral in the Earth's crust. It's a very popular mineral that produces many gems, of which moonstone is part of.

"There are two main subgroups of feldspar that produce gem-quality material; the potassium feldspars and the plagioclases, a series that range from calcium to sodium feldspars. Among the well-known feldspar gemstones are moonstone, orthoclase, amazonite, andesine, labradorite and sunstone.

Amazonite, moonstone and orthoclase are all potassium feldspars. They have a hardness of 6 to 6.5 on the Mohs scale and a vitreous luster. Moonstone also exhibits a unique shimmer known as adularescence.

Labradorite, andesine and sunstone are plagioclases feldspars. Like the potassium feldspars, they have a hardness of 6 to 6.5, but they differ in their tendency to have slightly higher refractive indices, ranking between beryl and quartz."

http://www.gemselect.com/other-info/feldspar.php

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL: regarding your post, Labradorite didn't traditionally fall under the moonstone trade name, right? I think it may now considering some finds in India and Africa. I'm a little tired (late night reading) so please add any correction if I'm wrong.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since you mention fakes, beware of opaline glass, which looks similar to blue moonstone, but it doesn't really have adularescence, it's like a milky bluish glass. Here's a pic.

https://img0.etsystatic.com/023/2/6270970/il_340x270.483509388_f6cu.jpg

Also beware of people that coat the bottoms of moonstone with something blue, in an enclosed setting. Some moonstone also has filler, so beware of that as well, although the GIA samples I've seen are very very milky and not that attractive. A UV light can detect the filler.

http://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/spring-2013-jianjun-spectroscopic-study-filled-moonstone

I love moonstone, here's a pic of mine while trying to get the orange/green rainbow I see.

tlmoonstone_rainbow_effect.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1426600398|3848454 said:
TL: regarding your post, Labradorite didn't traditionally fall under the moonstone trade name, right? I think it may now considering some finds in India and Africa. I'm a little tired (late night reading) so please add any correction if I'm wrong.

As far as I know, labradorite is an opaque gemstone with rainbow, or single colored colored schiller known as labradorescence. I'm not an expert though, and I'm not sure about the origins or changes in the name.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1426600871|3848459 said:
Arcadian|1426600398|3848454 said:

As far as I know, labradorite is an opaque gemstone with rainbow, or single colored colored schiller known as labradorescence. I'm not an expert though, and I'm not sure about the origins or changes in the name.

From one of the articles on JCK
http://www.jckonline.com/article/294337-Labradorite_s_Blue_Rainbow_Moonstone_.php

Labradorite moonstones do not contain ilmenite and therefore look like the milky orthoclase moonstone. Hence the confusion: It looks like moonstone but has the colors of labradorite.

and this (same article)

Moonstone is a potassium sodium feldspar. Gemologically, it has a lower refractive index and lower specific gravity than labradorite. Blue and white are the only colors for a moonstone’s sheen—there is no yellow, orange, or purple.

Labradorite, on the other hand, is a calcium sodium feldspar. It’s also called spectrolite because it produces spectral colors. These colors are produced by interference and diffraction off labradorite’s peculiar lamellar (flat plate-like) growth, not by scattering off albite inclusions. Labradorite has a higher RI and SG than orthoclase moonstone.

So as you can see this is what my confusion is. They may look the same to the eye at times but chemically they're not.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's different kind of labradorite too, the most common being the opaque version that has labradorescence.

http://skywalker.cochise.edu/wellerr/mineral/labradorite/6labradorite2010.JPG

Andesine is a transparent labradorite, and to me, looks nothing like rainbow or blue moonstone.

http://www.minerals.net/GemStoneImages/andesine-labradorite-gem-196746a.jpg

Some rainbow moonstone look very similar to traditional labradorite, except they're translucent, or transparent, and traditional labradorite is opaque. It can get confusing.

http://www.mineralminers.com/images/moonstone/gems/moog169.jpg

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Years ago I remember going to the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston where they had a gem and jewel exhibit. I remember seeing the most amazing moonstone I ever seen, it glowed edge to edge, it shimmered a bluish white, and looked like something living was in there. There wasn't any zoning lines or broken lines or eye visible inclusions. it was just awesomeness. We weren't allowed to take pictures of course, but that stuck in my brain as I was trying to get my mind around moonstone in general.

This is labradorite or 'rainbow moonstone' as identified by the vendor (they're not for sale). nice quality though it only shows mostly blue (they don't always though)

Its definitely not orthoclase moonstone, but most people would not even know it by looking at it. I know I wouldn't have.

I guess also there's something called white labradorite which is also coming out of India and pretty low grade (though some can be very pretty)

Feldspars as a family of gems is super interesting, and also per ct, can be inexpensive until you get into the super gemmy stuff. (too bad I like the super gemmy stuff...lol)

icm_57.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Was that part of a permanent collection at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston? I'd like to find a photo.

The blue glow in some moonstone reminds me of a ghost, and some people consider it a healing spirit, which is why this gem is often sought after for healing properties, although I don't believe in that myself.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1426607287|3848518 said:
Was that part of a permanent collection at the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston? I'd like to find a photo.

The blue glow in some moonstone reminds me of a ghost, and some people consider it a healing spirit, which is why this gem is often sought after for healing properties, although I don't believe in that myself.

I've got a memory for some things that is just terrible...I had to really think about that TL!

Anyway it wasn't permanent, but a part of the smithsonian traveling exhibit. I don't know how often they do that whole thing, but the collection that was there was really extensive.

That looks like it
http://geogallery.si.edu/index.php/en/1007558/moonstone
:lickout: :love:

smithsonianmoonstone.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the picture. So it was a carved moonstone? That is really lovely.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for starting this thread Arcadian. And thank you all for the informative posts and photo's. Moonstones are so elegant and fairy-tale like.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TL, that necklace is to die for. :love: I wish I wore them more often!

Acinom I'm such a nerd (one with good taste of course ;)) ) Feldspar as a family is maddening but also extremely intriguing. "moonstone", is very odd and initially, I didn't know there would be so many chemical differences under one umbrella. And of course you got more than a few camps on the issue.

Don't get me wrong, sure, we have to watch out for fakes and even crazy treatments, which is par for the course anytime there's money to be made, but I think there should be an understanding of what the base material is as well (or in some cases is not). Plus, its just plain fun. :read: I would dearly love to get trades people involved in the convo to pick their brains as well.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Arcadian|1426611386|3848560 said:
Anyway it wasn't permanent, but a part of the smithsonian traveling exhibit. I don't know how often they do that whole thing, but the collection that was there was really extensive.

That looks like it
Arcadian, was the moonstone completely clear, or was it slightly milky? The picture makes it look slightly milky.

I have several moonstones, but the one with the strongest schiller is slightly milky. I think the milkiness serves like the silkiness of a sapphire, dispersing the light, and allows the schiller to be very strong. In my moonstones that are completely clear, the schiller is hard to see if it's not at a specific angle, or on a dark background.

ringmaven

Rough_Rock
My engagement ring is "rainbow moonstone". Super beautiful, but so confusing when people ask what stone it is. ("Well, it is often called rainbow moonstone, but it's actually a feldspar called labradorite..." *the viewer's eyes glaze over*)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1426652064|3848921 said:

That looks like it
Arcadian, was the moonstone completely clear, or was it slightly milky? The picture makes it look slightly milky.

I have several moonstones, but the one with the strongest schiller is slightly milky. I think the milkiness serves like the silkiness of a sapphire, dispersing the light, and allows the schiller to be very strong. In my moonstones that are completely clear, the schiller is hard to see if it's not at a specific angle, or on a dark background.

There are moonstones that are completely transparent, but with strong blue schiller. They are probably the rarest and most valuable of the moonstone family. I do think the milky ones do help with the schiller, like you said.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
ringmaven|1426653042|3848926 said:
My engagement ring is "rainbow moonstone". Super beautiful, but so confusing when people ask what stone it is. ("Well, it is often called rainbow moonstone, but it's actually a feldspar called labradorite..." *the viewer's eyes glaze over*)

I'd love to see a photo of your e-ring ringmaven!

Also here's another thread for the feldspar enthusiasts out there! [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/all-about-feldspar-moonstone-labradorite-sunstone-etc.208567/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/all-about-feldspar-moonstone-labradorite-sunstone-etc.208567/[/URL]

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh I love moonstone. There is something quite romantic about it IMO. I would love to see your ring also ringmaven.

Thank you for starting this thread posting all this info on moonstones Arcadian.

TL that necklace is TDF. :love:
And I'm with you...more pics of moonstones please! :appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1426652064|3848921 said:

That looks like it

@pregcurious, the moonstone was milky/shimmery. The picture does not do it justice, but I'm pretty sure it was traditional Orthoclase moonstone given its age. I'll be in DC this spring and plan on hitting up the smithsonian (how could I not!!) Anyone know if they allow pictures?

If you want to share yours I would love to see (you probably already have but still wanna see...lol)

I have to admit, I'm apparently really looking for the labradorite rainbow moonstone, because quite frankly I do really love the rainbow it gives off. The first one in the OP is ridiculous.. and I love that they put it with alex melee (I want :lickout: )

So what I understand, the rainbow ones (like really rainbow) can be highly valued... more so than straight blue when they're large, transparent, free of inclusions and the flash is well centered. In the end though its all in the eye of the beholder.

I also like this one

Its not to everyone's taste but I find it very intriguing.

Orthoclase moonstone, which only flashes blue to white/blue, has some of the same high standards, though the milkyness (to a degree) is acceptable.

Africa Gems had one that was pretty nice and clean (the video was a bit weird but you kinda had to know what you were looking at...lol
http://www.africagems.com/moonstone-oval-gemstone-22661514.html

@Liz, its ALWAYS great to see you! Still have my email? we have to talk!

@ringmaven I would love to see your ring! I agree, going into the whole science part is rather mind numbing for some. But I think for here (because I'm not going beyond my basic knowlege or anyone elses either!) its on the level of 'good to know'.

@missy, let me see what I can find for pictures :shock: ;))

Ok so back to treatments. Not a favorite subject but, they're out there. I'm not sure if this one got covered but yeah, thats kinda scary.

In identifying gemstones from the Chinese market over the last five years, the National Gold & Diamond Testing Center (NGDTC) found that some treatments usually applied to top-grade colored stones such as emerald (Johnson et al., 1999) or jadeite jade (Fritsch et al., 1992) had also been used to enhance other materials. Impregnated aquamarine, tourmaline, and kyanite have all been encountered. Li et al. (2008) examined the characteristics and identifying features of filled aquamarine. Wang and Yang (2008) reported on a filling technology applied to carvings, beads, and faceted gems from the jewelry market of Guangdong Province. They also researched the identification of these filled gemstones.

A few months ago, the NGDTC laboratory received from a client six bracelets of plagioclase (moonstone) beads with blue adularescence. The bracelets were reportedly from Donghai County in Jiangsu Province, the trading center for crystal quartz. They displayed moderate to strong bluish white fluorescence in an irregular curvilinear pattern, which caused suspicion. Observing the beads from different directions showed that the fluorescence was confined to the fractures, and the authors deduced the presence of some foreign material. In addition to determining the mineral composition of the samples, we collected infrared spectra to confirm the existence of the filling material and examine its composition.

Read the rest of it here
http://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/spring-2013-jianjun-spectroscopic-study-filled-moonstone

bigmoonstone.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1426683895|3849061 said:
I have to admit, I'm apparently really looking for the labradorite rainbow moonstone, because quite frankly I do really love the rainbow it gives off. The first one in the OP is ridiculous.. and I love that they put it with alex melee (I want :lickout: )

So what I understand, the rainbow ones (like really rainbow) can be highly valued... more so than straight blue when they're large, transparent, free of inclusions and the flash is well centered. In the end though its all in the eye of the beholder.

I think straight blue is the most highly valued, but the rainbow ones can be very pretty, like that ring you posted at the top. In any case, any deep blue one that is highly transparent and free from inclusions, as well as large, are very beautiful. I've seen the highest prices on straight blues.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1426684232|3849062 said:

I think straight blue is the most highly valued
, but the rainbow ones can be very pretty, like that ring you posted at the top. In any case, any deep blue one that is highly transparent and free from inclusions, as well as large, are very beautiful. I've seen the highest prices on straight blues.

Of all? Yes. But rainbow ones are also valued when they're exceptionally clean like the one in the op. Not that you see that all that often though!

My sentence structure where I mentioned value was a little awkward, I see that now :oops: , but blues and blue purple (labradorite moonies) are sky high price-wise when they're clean.

I've not yet seen super top of the line orthoclase moonstone yet but I'm looking forward to it.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So this is not a Smithsonian moonstone..........it's a distant relative in the Ebay family. However, with the discussion above about treatments that always emulate the highest quality stones......what are the positives and negatives of a regular everday moonstone? There are a lot of these 'out there'. So, aside from being CHEAP and on ebay are there any good qualities to this moonstone? BTW, that leadoff moonstone ring is truly magnificent....beautiful in every way. :love:
PS......are there any inclusions that are 'good' in moonstone?

ebay_moonstone.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
digdeep|1426685830|3849071 said:
So this is not a Smithsonian moonstone..........it's a distant relative in the Ebay family. However, with the discussion above about treatments that always emulate the highest quality stones......what are the positives and negatives of a regular everday moonstone? There are a lot of these 'out there'. So, aside from being CHEAP and on ebay are there any good qualities to this moonstone? BTW, that leadoff moonstone ring is truly magnificent....beautiful in every way. :love:

The thing about highly included moonstone is that you have to be careful that cracks don't reach the surface and that can make them more brittle. I don't mind some inclusions, or a milky base, but when they're overly included, they look more "rustic." Some people like that look, and put them in artisan silver mounts. You don't want so many inclusions that all you see is a white translucent stone (almost opaque) with a little blue flashing around.

Inclusions are good in the sense that you can id it as natural moonstone, but I wouldn't want inclusions that are too eye distracting if the stone is generally very clean otherwise, and there's one or two gaping inclusions. Many of these stones have mineral inclusions that can be eye distracting in otherwise very clean material. If the inclusions are uniformly spread throughout, I find that more pleasing. To each his/her own though.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1426685653|3849069 said:

, but the rainbow ones can be very pretty, like that ring you posted at the top. In any case, any deep blue one that is highly transparent and free from inclusions, as well as large, are very beautiful. I've seen the highest prices on straight blues.

Of all? Yes. But rainbow ones are also valued when they're exceptionally clean like the one in the op. Not that you see that all that often though!

My sentence structure where I mentioned value was a little awkward, I see that now :oops: , but blues and blue purple (labradorite moonies) are sky high price-wise when they're clean.

I've not yet seen super top of the line orthoclase moonstone yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Yes, they probably are, but you rarely ever see them clean, or the rainbow banding doesn't blend well with the stone. The top example you picked out in the ring is not only very clean, but the rainbow blends into the stone well, sort of an oil on water look, or like looking at a fine opal with a good pattern of color. Even so, the blue on the top ring is not very strong, which is why it has a perfect enclosed setting and dark metal and stones surrounding it, to enhance the pattern. What is probably really super rare is one that is super clean, very very deep blue, and has some rainbow.

gorgeous_moonstone.jpg

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
TL|1426686597|3849074 said:
digdeep|1426685830|3849071 said:

The thing about highly included moonstone is that you have to be careful that cracks don't reach the surface and that can make them more brittle. I don't mind some inclusions, or a milky base, but when they're overly included, they look more "rustic." Some people like that look, and put them in artisan silver mounts. You don't want so many inclusions that all you see is a white translucent stone (almost opaque) with a little blue flashing around.

Inclusions are good in the sense that you can id it as natural moonstone, but I wouldn't want inclusions that are too eye distracting if the stone is generally very clean otherwise, and there's one or two gaping inclusions. Many of these stones have mineral inclusions that can be eye distracting in otherwise very clean material. If the inclusions are uniformly spread throughout, I find that more pleasing. To each his/her own though.

Thanks TL...........this is all so interesting! And thanks Arcadian for opening this thread........... :appl:

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1426686842|3849075 said:
Arcadian|1426685653|3849069 said:

Yes, they probably are, but you rarely ever see them clean, or the rainbow banding doesn't blend well with the stone. The top example you picked out in the ring is not only very clean, but the rainbow blends into the stone well, sort of an oil on water look, or like looking at a fine opal with a good pattern of color. Even so, the blue on the top ring is not very strong, which is why it has a perfect enclosed setting and dark metal and stones surrounding it, to enhance the pattern. What is probably really super rare is one that is super clean, very very deep blue, and has some rainbow.

The one I posted wasn't top, but a good example of what I like and can afford at the moment, but unlike the one you posted, does have some inclusions.

Trust me, I did not put that as an example of the 1% top stuff! The one you posted is a very good example in top color may be lacking the size.

btw, the one I posted wasn't exceptionally large either, only around 6cts. Exceptional ones above the 10ct mark are rare and thats where you spend the most money.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GemWow used to have many spectacular moonstone cabochons way back in 2004 but now all they have are junky ones. I've always mooned over them and they were not inexpensive even back then. I saw many that are similar to the one on the right (deep blue sheen with almost totally colourless and transparent base).

moonstone_set.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results