carat
color
clarity

Help with Yellow?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1432754850|3881904 said:
If you think trying to find your yellow is challenging, add 100x for the colour red. :lol:

My yellow wasn't challenging at all thanks to your vendor recommendations!! :bigsmile:
So... red must be a piece of cake, no? :devil:

I do want red, though. I want red like your sides, AGBF's three-stone, cokitty's center, preg's new beauty... and I most certainly don't have the bling budget for the red I want, so that's not going to happen any time soon :(sad Fortunately (unfortunately?), I also want green and blue and purple and whole host of potentially more (hah, and less!) affordable colours...

But I refuse to let myself start yet another project before finishing this one, and Jeff said his timeline is eight weeks, give or take, so I've got some time to ruminate ::)

Acinom|1432755160|3881906 said:
Yay! You move fast Yssie. That's great news. I cannot wait to see how this project will progress. Working with Jeff is such a pleasurable experience.

I love the colour pre-heating too :love: :love:
Could be worth it to ask Jeff about it. I wonder whether it's the reddish colour we see in the photo or more of an amber/orange like Jeff describes and which would be more like the photo Gene posted above of the zircon pre heating.

Enjoy the process :wavey:

I think I will ask if he'd be willing to send me a pic of the pre-heated stone. The colour is lovely on-screen, but... I too wonder how representative that photo is of real-world appearance. I've got some pinkish-red nail polish that looks positively pink in some lights and almost yellowish-red in others, without so much as a hint of the pink I see in the next room over, so... I can imagine how difficult shopping for this fiendishly fickle Red must be!!

I can't wait to see the finished stone ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ETA: Can't seem to edit my last post on the first page -

This is the setting she'll be going into - handforged by RDG in 18k YG and two alloys of 18k WG. Ultimately all the yellow metal demanded a yellow stone ::) The diamond found a mate last week, and Erika Winters will be making studs settings :))

jrh_rdg_7_0.jpg
jrh_rdg_4_0.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's a beautiful and intricate setting!!
Your future yellow (or reddish amberish orangish?) stone will feel right at home in this setting.

Is RDG the company in New Zealand that stops its operation recently or am I completely mistaken? In any case, I love this setting :love: :love: :love:

PrecisionGem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would suggest that any zircon you purchase that is commissioned and cut, then heated, the cutter hold off shipping the stone for a week, or extend your return period to two weeks. I have heat an awfully lot of zircon over the years, and every stone I have heated has drifted after heating. It doesn't always happen in a day or two, and it's a slow gradual process, so unless one documents it with a picture shorty after heating, and then one again after about a week, you may not notice it. Peoples memory for color is not good, memory for smell is actually much better.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
ahhhh yellow makes me *happy*! I happened by chance upon a round chryso on Barry's site a few years ago, and have gotten five other yellows since then, and always they end up being sold b/c they're just not my perfect yellow the way my round Barry is. They all end up close, but no cigar. If I could find this same yellow again, I'd be all over it.

I hope you find *your* yellow Yssie! Looking forward to watching how this progresses!

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Yssie :wavey:
If you are still interested in the pre-heated colour, it's good to know that I got an email from Jeff in which he gave more information with regard to the pre-heated color: "it was more reddish orange than most of these that I've cut (most are a very ugly brownish orange), and the photo is pretty close. It might be a bit less red than it looks there, but not much."

So you could ask him to send you a photo of the pre-heated version first and then go from there.

Jeff does not expect that the colour or the post heated colour will deteriorate for this particular rough and his customers have never complained about it. To be safe you could ask him to wait a few days before he sends it to you.
My yellow zircon will be sent to David now!!

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
Yssie the ring looks incredible.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Acinom - yes, that's the right RDG! Thank you - the setting is one of the most beautiful things I've ever had the privilege of owning... and the maker wasn't much of a diamond person anyway, so it seems appropriate to replace it with something colored :))

I will definitely email Jeff about the preheating colour once he's started my stone! From your post it sounds like even within this parcel different stones came out more reddish or brownish, so I'll be interested to see how mine turns out ::)

Will yours be going to David Friedlander (DBL)? Or David Klass? What style did you decide on?? Your thread is behind on details! :bigsmile:

urseberry

Brilliant_Rock
Yssie|1432756437|3881921 said:
The diamond found a mate last week, and Erika Winters will be making studs settings :))
:o How has no one commented on this little throwaway yet? Wow, can't wait to see your giant studs, and what beauteous setting Erika comes up with. Want to tell us any more details?

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
I don't know anything about the heating of zircons, but my yellow zircon from Jeff White which I have had for a couple of years still looks exactly the same hue as when I received it.

SapphireStyle

Shiny_Rock
I think the pic of the first zircon you posted is mine.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie|1432920202|3882715 said:
Acinom - yes, that's the right RDG! Thank you - the setting is one of the most beautiful things I've ever had the privilege of owning... and the maker wasn't much of a diamond person anyway, so it seems appropriate to replace it with something colored :))

I will definitely email Jeff about the preheating colour once he's started my stone! From your post it sounds like even within this parcel different stones came out more reddish or brownish, so I'll be interested to see how mine turns out ::)

Will yours be going to David Friedlander (DBL)? Or David Klass? What style did you decide on?? Your thread is behind on details! :bigsmile:
I have never seen such a setting. It's absolutely stunning. The craftmanship and creativity from RDG is (was) top notch.
I cannot wait to the pre heated version of yours. I hope it turns out to be the color you are looking for.

My zircon will be set by David Klass 8-). I think I will go for a simple solitaire style and let the center stone be the star.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene - thank you again! I think I will take your suggestion and request that Jeff hold onto it for a week or two after heating, to confirm the colour doesn't change - or that he has it on-hand to reheat if necessary.

I was torn between choosing an untreated but less sparkly material and treated but high-RI zircon. I think... for me... Zircon was a good choice because I value precision cutting and sparkle very highly, I think highly enough to sacrifice slightly on colour to stay in budget. Persnickety things, those budgets.

I had a couple more questions on the first page of this thread that I'd love your thoughts on as well, if you've got a few more minutes to spare. Thanks so much for your input on all of this!

Packy your story made me laugh - packrat, indeed, apparently, at least in some ways :halo: how awesome that you found your dream yellow first! My concern is that I really haven't seen much in the way of CSs personally, so my eyes don't know what to look for yet - and possibly don't even know what they really like... Going with a precision cut stone from a reputable vendor from material that other PSers who *do* know CSs are thrilled with is about as "safe" as I can manage! I'd love for this zircon to turn into my Holy Grail yellow like your chryso!!:bigsmile:

Lovinggems Thank you! I can't wait to put this zircon in it - the more I look at it the more perfectly I think they'll fit - colour, style... ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphire - my inspiration zircon is yours!! I Google'd "yellow Pricescope" and this image was one of the first, and I was in love right away - it's such a beautiful specimen :love:

Thank you for sharing it with us! And thank you also for your comment re. your stone not having issues with colour fading - Acinom's is from the same parcel, and mine will be too, so I'm very glad to hear it ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
urseberry|1432926158|3882744 said:
Yssie|1432756437|3881921 said:
The diamond found a mate last week, and Erika Winters will be making studs settings :))
:o How has no one commented on this little throwaway yet? Wow, can't wait to see your giant studs, and what beauteous setting Erika comes up with. Want to tell us any more details?

:bigsmile: I would if I could!! I gave it to Erika with some vague ideas of what I wanted and I'm letting her have at it - I'm really looking forward to seeing what she does! My "wants" we're mostly limited to nine prongs, three "decorated post areas" in the gallery, and Grace-esque pointy prongs ::) I can't wait!

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
Wow. I don't think there's anything that you can put in that setting that would not look fantastic!

Given the rarity and your concerns about the delicacy of the setting, I strongly suggest holding off setting any colored stone you choose until you are absolutely certain that it is "the one". Take it with you to all the places you frequent and see whether it lives up to your expectations. Colored stones are really tricky in that the quality of lighting can have a huge impact on the color that you actually see.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thbmok|1433485074|3885423 said:
Wow. I don't think there's anything that you can put in that setting that would not look fantastic!

Given the rarity and your concerns about the delicacy of the setting, I strongly suggest holding off setting any colored stone you choose until you are absolutely certain that it is "the one". Take it with you to all the places you frequent and see whether it lives up to your expectations. Colored stones are really tricky in that the quality of lighting can have a huge impact on the color that you actually see.

+1.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Yssie :wavey:
Unfortunately in my case the heating did work out well: the colour had faded by the time it had arrived at the jeweller. Statistically this will mean that yours will turn out magically. You had already decided to wait a week before having the ring sent to you and I would certainly advice to do so. Here are some pics of the faded zircon on the last two pages of my thread: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-some-yellow-in-my-future-the-jeff-white-saga.211900/page-4']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-some-yellow-in-my-future-the-jeff-white-saga.211900/page-4[/URL]

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono, Thb, Acinom, absolutely. This re-set is a one-time deal and I need to make sure I get it right. I'm in no hurry at all, and plan to take your advice and tote the stone around with me for a few weeks to all my favourite haunts before shipping it out for setting - and if she isn't Right then she'll go into another setting, and I'll try again. One side-effect of having re-set the diamond so many times is that I've a fair number of empty settings that all require the same sized centerstone!

Acinom - thank you so much for sharing your journey, and I'm so sorry to read the outcome! The colour shift is drastic - its saving grace is that it did happen very quickly, in just a few days as Gene specified, so at least it was caught before the stone was set and sent overseas... And I'm very glad to hear that Jeff has been great to work with throughout this process!

I think I will email Jeff to ask if he still feels zircon is a good option for me. Your stone, SapphireStyle's stone, and mine will all come from the same parcel; I would not have guessed stones from the same parcel could behave so differently! If he does, I'll ask him to hold onto it for a full week - perhaps even two, just to be safe (and to have on-hand for reheating, if needed). I do love the unheated colour but for this ring I want yellow more than anything ::)

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie: thank you for your kind words! Jeff told me (this was when I told him about Gene's post, but before the shift actually happened) he never experienced the colour shift with this particular zircon material. Also, he never has received any complaints on this matter from his customers. SapphireStyle's ring is a perfect yellow and she says her stone does not have any brown at all.

So I assume that this is very unlikely to happen with this material? It will be good if Jeff reviews the stone for 1-2 weeks.
I will live vicariously through you when you receive a perfect yellow!! I had so looking forward of owning a Jeff White stone. Luckily I had already inquired about a 'second' stone.

I am glad Gene mentioned this in your thread. Otherwise I would have assumed that the 'lighting' was off and that the bright yellow would reveal itself again here in Europe...

_30919.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Any news Yssie?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:wavey: Happy 4th weekend!!

Not yet, but the anticipating is building!! Jeff said at the end of May that his lead time was 8-10 weeks and he'll hold onto the stone for a while to ensure it doesn't shift after heating, and I'm going to force myself take several days and play with the stone at home and make sure it's The One ::)

Erika W./JbG will finish my earrings end of July. Her bench will be doing a couple of repairs on the ring and setting the zircon, and she'll ship everything out at once, so... another month-ish, perhaps? Patience is SO not my strength!!

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa! I have NOT been on PS in a while! Yssie, I absolutely love following your jewelry adventures and this one (or two) is no exception! So, I get that you are resetting your sensational RDG with a CS. I get that you are making some unbelievable honker studs with your beautiful diamond. BUUUUUTTTT, what are you going to wear for your E-ring???

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Val - wow, thank you!! I have to say I'm really looking forward to ending the diamond Ering reset saga with this one - and I still can't quite believe that I'll be getting my absolute dream studs in just a few weeks!

I can see myself falling head-first for coloured stones. My yellow-to-be, the PS family suite of blues from Doug that I've been following since the start of Acinom's thread... That they're often truly rare, and are often so much more affordable than diamonds, weighs hugely in their favour!

I'll wear my WF Uprong eternity as an engagement ring - it's what I wear daily right now anyway, to be honest. It's low-maintenance and I don't worry about damaging it during everyday wear, which I was constantly fearful of with the RDG. I guess it isn't too surprising I wound up here at the end - another PSer said I was "one of the band folk at heart" several years ago :bigsmile:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wah!! How exciting for you. Things are moving although you still have to be patient.
I am looking forward to see the end result of your projects.

I can totally relate to what you are saying about colored stones. They are all so fascinating, unique and different.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad that the CS bug has bitten you; just watch out for the slowly but surely spreading "illness". :lol: Whilst I agree that some CS are rarer than diamonds, unfortunately, there are CS that are also more expensive than diamonds!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SHE'S HERE!!!!

And I LOVE her!!!!!!!!!!

:bigsmile:

Jeff hit my proportions requirements dead-on: she's an 8.86mm 3.69ct Tanzanian zircon. He held onto her for eight days after cutting and heating to make sure the colour stuck, and it looks like we got lucky this time :love: I've emailed to ask whether he thinks it was the material, the heating style...

She's moody and unpredictable - I mean, I *know* diamonds, and I figured sparkly stones sparkle pretty much the same way, right? Yeah, not so much :bigsmile: I can't pin this round brilliant zircon down at all. The sparkle is InYourFace and constant, and the dispersion is completely effortless, and she changes colour so drastically! I like her best outdoors in the shade, or under the office fluorescents - there she looks bright sunny fiery yellow, like Jeff's handshot :sun:. The living room halogens bring out more of the orange I see in his studio pic, as does direct sunlight when the stone is facing the sun, and I'm between the sun and the stone... in direct sunlight when she's between me and the sun she turns into a dark olive bogey. And I don't see ANY green in this stone, so I really can't fathom how that's possible! It's... oddly endearing, though ::)

Pics!! Appologies in advance - I'm not happy with them, but my skill with a camera isn't yet up to this challenge - they really don't do her justice, but I wanted to share right away :bigsmile: I had the devil of a time trying to photograph her without blacking her out and losing the colour... or capturing the colour perfectly as a little yellow blur! Oh well, I'll have her for a couple more weeks before she's shipped off to be set, so I can practice a bit more :)) I stuck her in my old Butterflies setting with a couple of loose melee to see how she looks with side diamonds and I think they go really well together :love:

zir081.jpg

zir081hand.jpg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
y_1.png

y_2.png

y_3.png

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
y_4.png

y_5.png

y_6.png

blingbunny10

Brilliant_Rock
Whoa, I love it!! I've never seen a zircon in quite that color before.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results