shape
carat
color
clarity

help with white sapphire

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jmg124

Rough_Rock
i have been lurking and have learned a great deal from everyone on this site but still have a few questions...

the scenario:
i have been shopping for a white sapphire for my e-ring. i''m looking for something that is princess cut 6-7.5mm, eye clean and without inclusions, don''t really care if it''s been lightly heated, and i want a white or VERY SLIGHT pink/blue tint. i am told by many that these are difficult stones to find as sapphires aren''t really cut in princess and, if they are, not at that size.

Anyway, Ambassador Diamonds (the only dealer i''ve found in town so far that would even consider putting a white sapphire in a setting) in tucson found a princess cut 7.5x7.59mm eye clean sapphire, 2.55ct, looks very white but the saleswoman told me it has a slight pink (which i couldn''t really notice). i went to see it today and it is sooooo beautiful - it even radiated colors like i didn''t expect - it was a fair competition between the sapphire and the diamonds when we put it on a setting to see how it would look ( i was VERY surprised). However, it does have one pretty significant inclusion that can be seen under magnification and it also has a red line (looks kinda like a tiny string which i thought was really weird - is that normal??) Anyway, she initially told me $1550 but when i asked if that was firm she said she could go down to $1450. She also said it probably wasn''t heated but she seemed to be guessing. that was the first time i''ve ever seen a white sapphire and i''m not extremely knowledgable....

My questions are:
Does this sound like a reasonable price for a stone with a noticable inclusion like that?
Does that red strand (that is only seen under mag) sound normal??
Is it okay to ask for an appraisal? If so, how do i go about getting that done?
Should i also get it certified? if so, (again) how do i go about getting that done?
Do you think it would be worth it to have online dealers send me some to look at (considering i will have to initially pay for it and then send it back when i don''t like it AND have to pay shipping costs)?

In addition, i have done a great deal of research online and have looked at a ton of websites. I am weary of just looking at pictures and taking someone''s word for it, though. Other quotes i''ve been given are the following:

Indygmes: 7.3x7.2 white, 2.15ct, $625 - this sounds too good to be true - do you think it is?

NSC: 7.07x7 white square radiant (http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/expandedstones.aspx?stoneid=U2305) this one looks a bit cloudy to me but it''s hard to tell in a picture.

Gary Dutton: 6x6mm, 1.24cts, $341 - this also sounds ridiculously cheap.

Mindy Robbins (from Robbins Diamonds): stated her dealer could find her something for $800 or less.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide and sorry for such a long post....

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/8/2008 6:56:08 PM
Author:jmg124

My questions are:
Does this sound like a reasonable price for a stone with a noticable inclusion like that?
Sapphires (and other coloured gemstones) are viewed differently than diamonds. Eye clean is what most go for. It is difficult to find one that is loupe clean and still hits all the other C''s. If you can''t see the red line inclusion with your naked eye, then the stone is acceptable unless you personally have a problem with it in your mind.

Does that red strand (that is only seen under mag) sound normal??
Yes, most gemstones have different kinds of inclusions ranging from bubbles to other material inclusion.

Is it okay to ask for an appraisal? If so, how do i go about getting that done?
Yes, if you don''t know the vendor. You can check the PS database for a listing of independent appraisers. However, for a sapphire that isn''t very expensive, it may not be woth the cost of the appraisal fee.

Should i also get it certified? if so, (again) how do i go about getting that done?
I don''t think it''s worth getting certified. Certification is usually done on gemstones that are of top notch quality, humongous sizes, rare and very expensive.

Do you think it would be worth it to have online dealers send me some to look at (considering i will have to initially pay for it and then send it back when i don''t like it AND have to pay shipping costs)?
Yes and no. Ask as many questions upfront as possible to eliminate those that you don''t think you''ll like and just narrow it down to 1 or 2 choices. Deal with very trusted sources with good return policies so you don''t have to worry about an independant appraisal, if you chose to go that route. Request for as many pictures as needed (top view, close up, side view, pavilion view).

In addition, i have done a great deal of research online and have looked at a ton of websites. I am weary of just looking at pictures and taking someone''s word for it, though. Other quotes i''ve been given are the following:

Indygmes: 7.3x7.2 white, 2.15ct, $625 - this sounds too good to be true - do you think it is?
I don''t know this vendor. Do you have a link? I need a picture to get some idea of the quality. White sapphires are very inexpensive.

NSC: 7.07x7 white square radiant (http://www.thenaturalsapphirecompany.com/nscnet/expandedstones.aspx?stoneid=U2305) this one looks a bit cloudy to me but it''s hard to tell in a picture.

Gary Dutton: 6x6mm, 1.24cts, $341 - this also sounds ridiculously cheap.
Please add the link. Gary is a very honest vendor who I''ve dealt with numerous times. His stones are always as represented. Don''t hesitate to ask him anything. He also always gives one of the best pricing around for the quality that he sells.

Mindy Robbins (from Robbins Diamonds): stated her dealer could find her something for $800 or less.
Everything depends on the quality, size and cut. It''s hard to guestimate without the stone in hand, or at the very least, pictures.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide and sorry for such a long post....
No problem and you''re welcome.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

jmg124

Rough_Rock
WOW!!! Chrono: thank you soooo much for all the info. that was extremely helpful!

tradergirl: i tried wildfish but they didn''t have anything
7.gif
I also tried simplysapphires, NSC, Indygems, etc. Most people couldn''t find what i''m looking for...

This is the email Gary Dutton sent to me:

"I just finished looking at the colorless Princess cut sapphire...I think it''s be best looking Princess cut colorless that I have seen. I''m impressed with the quality of cutting, the squareness of the stone and just how clean it is...if graded as a diamond it would be at least a VS1! It also appears totally colorless, which is something one doesn''t often find....and I don''t think I would be able to find anything quite as clean and well cut and colorless as this one without a very long and difficult search."

I think i might buy the stone from Gary and see how it looks. I just went with my guy to look at the 7.5mm and we both feel it''s a bit too big for my size 5 finger.

Another question:
- I went to a jeweler in my area and the saleswoman kept telling me that i shouldn''t put a white sapphire in my ring but that i should do a colored stone instead. she says that a white sapphire will look nice "when you first get it" but then it will get dull. It seems to me that, if i keep my ring CLEAN, it should always look as beautiful as when it is new. What do you think??

PR1.21sapph.jpg

jmg124

Rough_Rock
sorry, i forgot to mention those pics are the ones from Gary Dutton...

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
nice finds, Chrono!

a white sapphire should wear the same as any other sapphire over time. if you wear it 24/7 for 30 years you're going to see facet wear but if you love your stone, it won't matter. there is something about white sapphires that intrigues me.........i'd go for that first one Chrono posted in a hot minute over almost any diamond!

if your credit card can stand it and all the vendors have a good return policy, how about having several sent to you to preview and returning the ones you don't want?

movie zombie

eta: the square shaped stone from gary is really unusual and certainly worth previewing!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d take that first white sapphire from ACS in a heartbeat too if I was looking for one. Fantastic colour and cutting.

Gary''s white sapphire looks intriguing too. Worth a look see. Shipping will not cost more than $20 both ways total.

A white sapphire will not get dull but the facets may show some wear and tear earlier as compared to diamonds.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results