shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with my sapphire color

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! I need help deciding what color my new sapphire is. Royal? Navy? Cobalt? Would love to know how to describe the color....

_14220.jpg

Bex

Shiny_Rock
I don't have a ton of experience with gem colors, but from an artistic perspective I'd probably say Royal Blue or Indathrone Blue (but that's pretty obscure!) To me, navy is much darker and blacker with less blue pigment, while cobalt would be lighter and more vivid.

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
Love learning new ways to describe color. Indathrone -- very cool. Thank you both! Going to look into that one.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I would try to stick with names to describe the saturation and tone, like Freke did. I feel terms like navy, cobalt, royal blue, etc are not helpful. It's like saying a diamond is lemon, when you really mean fancy intense yellow. The latter means something to other people familar with gemstones, and helps to determine a value.

Bex

Shiny_Rock
Pregcurious, you made a really good point about using actual terminology! I was assuming he was trying to describe it to a layperson. In my head, he was excitedly trying to describe it to a family member or friend, and was looking for something descriptive and evocative. But I probably read WAY too far into it :)

On that note, I double checked my paints, and misspelled the color in my first post- it's actually indanthrene!

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
You are right, I was trying to describe it to a lay-person (I am female by the way!).
However, I like the idea of being more specific. Do you all agree this describes my sapphire best (taking into account computer color differences of course): Blue hue dark-very dark medium to strong saturation natural corundum?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dark Vivid on my monitor with the color chart next to the picture of your ring.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Seems like it has a hint of green to it, which is why I said navy.

I'm seeing it at strong, dark-very dark via my computer.

What's the light source, OP?

sapphire_compare.jpg

sphenequeen

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

I think that I see Vivid Dark, based on the chart that Freke put up.
I love the color!

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
The photo was taken under incandescent light with a flash . This has been really helpful. Thanks everyone.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Can you post a pic without flash? In my experience, it's not possible to evaluate accurately with flash.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
pregcurious|1390955274|3602989 said:
Can you post a pic without flash? In my experience, it's not possible to evaluate accurately with flash.
Agreed.

RSargent

Shiny_Rock
Here is my ring in natural light. My sunny Vermont living room this morning. Was 8 below last night!

_14247.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results