shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with how to set my pink diamond heart,please.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
I bought a light pink diamond heart last year-it measures around 5.6 x 5.89 and I just can't figure out what to do with it. I thought of making it into a pendant, but I already have 2 diamond pendants I wear- my pear shaped diamond with the fancy light pink diamond halo in rose gold and another diamond pendant set in platinum that also has some pink diamond accents that my husband gave me this year for Christmas. The other issue is that since it is light pink I'm not sure it will not really show up as very pink on a necklace. I did find this picture with a yellow diamond and pearl that I thought it might work well in.And I also have a very nice loose South Sea pearl with fabulous lustre that I could use. So, that's one option.

Another option is another ring. But at the over 50 crowd, I need to be careful it doesn't look too young. I also have a pair of light pinks that total .18ct that could be used as sides to make it a three stone. So three stone halo? Or, then I ran across this JAR design. I could bezel the heart in rose gold and use either periwinkle or lavender sapphires, or mint green garnets as the surround- and even though the heart would be a heart shape- the actual face of the ring could be either an oval or rectangle. Does that make sense? I would keep the shank with white diamonds for contrast.

Or does anyone have some other good ideas??

80daca113fcd8634cee7ed43b165dded.jpg

lot-1828-an-unique-coloured-diamond-sapphire-and-diamond-ring-by-jar.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
At the heart of the matter, what item of jewellery will you wear it as most often? Another ring or pendant?

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1393606099|3624721 said:
At the heart of the matter, what item of jewellery will you wear it as most often? Another ring or pendant?

haha Chrono- yes that is the "heart" of the matter. :lol: I think since I wear one of the other two pendants pretty much all the time that I'd wear a ring more- as long as it isn't too over the top or too large.

Also here are pics of the heart and the two smaller diamonds- pretty accurate for what I see IRL.

_15419.jpg

light-pink-round-diamond-48142.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Purely from a design perspective I think the pearl idea sounds gorgeous. Especially if the pearl is very white, I think it will bring out the pink of the diamond well.

On the other hand I love the idea of mixing the pink and light green - but I' can't say how obvious the pink would be that way.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the contrast of mint green with your pink but it has to be light enough to not overpower the pink heart; a fine balance is definitely needed but the right amount of contrast will make the pink pop. The next question is then is how easy/difficult will it be to get a bunch of mint green melees?

Couldn't resist the heart pun either. :bigsmile:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono|1393609936|3624772 said:
The next question is then is how easy/difficult will it be to get a bunch of mint green melees?

Wouldn't a jeweller be able to source them?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sapphires, yes. Spinel, depends. Mint garnet, unlikely unless the jeweller has awesome connections. Most vendors only have diamond melee contacts.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Yes- I wasn't sure how easy it would be to get mint green garnet melee, either (say that 3 times fast!!)- but I think the contrast would really help the pink pop,too. When I put it next to light blue- I think it drains the pink a bit. Of course with a rose gold bezel and rose gold cup the pink will amp up a bit. Of course, JAR's ring is obviously a much more intense pink. The heart does look pretty next to lavender which I think would be easier to obtain in sapphire melee. I think green sapphires are a bit too gray for my taste with the heart. Green diamonds-too expensive. I've always loved the pink diamond/ green diamond combo.
But what do you think of the idea of this type of ring over other types? My feeling is that it takes the heart out of "cutesy"

533709_345113455525767_397106587_1.jpg

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
LoversKites|1393609684|3624769 said:
Purely from a design perspective I think the pearl idea sounds gorgeous. Especially if the pearl is very white, I think it will bring out the pink of the diamond well.

On the other hand I love the idea of mixing the pink and light green - but I' can't say how obvious the pink would be that way.

The South Sea pearls I have are pretty white with pink/blue overtones. It's interesting, but I prefer the one I have that doesn't have as much pink overtone with the diamond-more straight blue overtone. The other ones have both pink/blue.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1393610175|3624776 said:
Sapphires, yes. Spinel, depends. Mint garnet, unlikely unless the jeweller has awesome connections. Most vendors only have diamond melee contacts.

Do you think the same cutters that cut sapphire melee would cut garnet if given the rough?

eta- also wonder if they cut under 2mm? as I think with this small of a heart they would need to be smaller.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1393611572|3624797 said:
Stock picture but he has round tsavorite melees as small as 1 mm. It needs to be lighter in tone though, much lighter.
http://www.africagems.com/calibrated-tsavorite-garnet-round-aaa.html

Dubious looking cut in the picture (may not matter if they are that tiny?) but these are lighter. 1.5 mm and up.
http://www.africagems.com/calibrated-tsavorite-garnet-round-aa.html

good find, Chrono! So it would be a matter of finding the right color minty garnet. Hmmmm, might take awhile, but I think it might be doable.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it'll take time. AfricaGems is the only vendor I know of that seems to carry the more difficult to find stones.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1393612004|3624805 said:
Yes, it'll take time. AfricaGems is the only vendor I know of that seems to carry the more difficult to find stones.
thanks, Chrono!!

Now if anyone has some time and photoshop skills that I sadly lack and would like to do a mock up for me that would be wonderful!!!
I think after looking at it that with the shape of the heart a cushion shape halo (like the above pink/green picture) might be the best shape).

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
ooh, just saw some pastel sapphires in a pastel greenish blue (almost aquamarine color) that may look pretty, too!!

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is what I would do. Set the South Sea Pearl flanked by the two pink diamonds in a ring ONLY IF both the proportions and color work together. Set the heart diamond in a rose gold ring setting -let the diamond speak for itself. If none of these suggestions work then I would set the heart shaped diamond on top of the p earl in a pendant or a gorgeous pin/brooch.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock
lambskin|1393625367|3624921 said:
Here is what I would do. Set the South Sea Pearl flanked by the two pink diamonds in a ring ONLY IF both the proportions and color work together. Set the heart diamond in a rose gold ring setting -let the diamond speak for itself. If none of these suggestions work then I would set the heart shaped diamond on top of the p earl in a pendant or a gorgeous pin/brooch.

thank you for your suggestions, lambskin. The South Sea pearls I have are drop shaped so work much better for pendants and earrings rather than a ring. And if I were to just put the heart in a rose gold setting, you wouldn't see it on me as it would just blend away with my skin tone. I need to put something around it to make the color pop a little more.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Hm. What about the light pink heart embedded into a green gold setting? I almost see a thick green gold band - maybe tension setting the heart or with the heart mounted flush against the band. I hope I'm explaining this well. I think it would take out the cute factor and look quite classy.

Anyway, just a thought.

pinkjewel

Ideal_Rock

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
What about surrounding the heart with bling that distracts the eye from the "heartness" of it? Some examples of what I mean:

Especially the 1st one, to my eye, delute the cuteness.

Mint melee sounds dreamy with that pink; it would be so individual and pretty and eye-catching. Interesting the variety to be found, even if it isn't easy -- I had no idea chryso melee existed. Too yellow for this project, you're right, but a good factoid to store in the back drawer of the mind.

--- Laurie

image12.jpg

image21.jpg

image31.jpg

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
What about a cigar band type ring with lots of white melee? Or put the two rounds on either side of the heart, and have the rest of the diamonds be white? The diamonds could be uniform in size, or vary a bit. Pink diamonds in rose gold, of course, the rest of the ring in platinum? The diamonds would be a little bit more subtle, but it would still a statement piece.

Just an idea.

ETA: These are just some different cigar band rings I found on Pinterest. I thought they were cool!

multi_band.jpg

tiger_band.jpg

two_tone_band.jpg

yellow_band.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How about a multi-FCD ring made up of different colours and shapes?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this ring design and setting by White Flash:

hearttmb_big_dscn4651.jpg

A contrasting halo in a different colour (? aquamarine) to the pink heart diamond may help to emphasize the colour of the diamond. Rose gold may work better than WG too.

DK :))

Vidalia

Shiny_Rock
Pinkjewel,
I think you're idea of combining the pink heart with blue-green accent stones would lead to a very unique and pretty piece! It makes sense these colors would likely intensify one another given that red and green are opposites on the color wheel.

Below please find a FICD ring on hold at 1stDibs that uses that color combo in rose gold. And here's the link: http://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/engagement-rings/fancy-intense-blueish-green-cushion-cut-diamond-gia-cert-ring/id-j_84781/
Good luck with the project!

pink_and_blue-green_fcds_on_1stdibs.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results