carat
color
clarity

Help with earrings - spess

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of things that might account for why they haven't sold:

1) they appear to have a brown modifier; 2) he says in the description that one is lighter than the other (and you can see that ever so slightly in one of the photos); and 3) they are pretty little at 4.2mm each. That all said, I think they are pretty and the price is fair. =)

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
as the vendor noted, the color difference will not be noticed because they are going to be earrings. as studs the color difference will be even less noticeable. fairly priced as noted above.

interesting: vendor lives near my parents. i was out that way a couple of weeks ago and could have eyed them for you.......!

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My first thought is that they're pretty small. Maybe that's why. They look pretty though!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the feedback!
I now see the brown-ish-ness... funny how something becomes so apparent once it's pointed out.

I do like small studs, as I have small ears - plus I was planning to bezel them. I wear 6mm peridot bezelled studs and they're perfect/almost too large depending on my mood :cheeky:

I've been scouring the sites for small (5-6mm preferably) stones for earrings - but on a budget. Any ideas for where to look for pairs?

(any type of stone but peridot!)

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
anyone want to help me find some budget stones for earrings?
pretty please :saint:

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
The Gem Trader has a pair of orangish yellow topaz pears, 8 x 5 mm, for $102. I don't know how long this link will last, as he is planning his July drop for later today.

http://www.thegemtrader.com/Jun12BTopazPage.htm

As an aside, I have found that finding nice pairs is difficult, so when I see a set, I snap them up, even if I don't have immediate plans for them. Good luck on your search.

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
PumpkinPie|1342027691|3232418 said:
anyone want to help me find some budget stones for earrings?
pretty please :saint:

http://www.primagemsusa.com/

This is Jaimeen's website. His contact email is on the site. I got 4mm spessartite and tsavorite sets for my diamond jackets at very reasonable prices. Just email Jaimeen and tell him you heard about him on PS. They have spessartites in 4mm and 5mm sizes (at least they did at the last Intergem) and he can pick out a nice set for you and send you pictures. He and Geoff are really nice and easy to work with. My eyes aren't the greatest any more and after staring at stones though a loupe for 10 minutes, I thought I was going blind - lol, so Geoff helped me pick out some sets at the last Intergem and they are gorgeous - no brown modifiers and a great price!

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Thank you Fly GIrl and ColorLuvr
I do really like those topaz pears - I've contacted Bradley about the stones he has available.

Any other suggestions from anyone else where I could look for pairs of stones? I swear there used to be a vendor site that allowed you to choose 'pairs' as an option on a search bar on the left side of the page, but I cannot find it...

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What about Multicolour? It seems that they have so many stones...

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks all - I think I might go with Brad's topaz pears (though he had some lovely amethyst trillions that were also tempting) and set them as earring charms on leverbacks - a la Chrono :appl:
I'll update the thread when I get the stones, and again when they're done :naughty:

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Actually - first I want some feedback about whether to prong or bezel set them, and whether to use silver or yellow gold.

Any opinions?

jun12topazpair.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
PumpkinPie|1342220624|3233511 said:
Actually - first I want some feedback about whether to prong or bezel set them, and whether to use silver or yellow gold.

Any opinions?

Making them into studs with a prong setting would be beautiful, classic, and probably the least costly choice.

But, sometimes you just need to get them and see what they look best with. My jeweler thought my ruby pears would look best pronged, and I thought bezeled. He ordered both, and once we popped them into the settings, the choice was clear. Bezels.

Same thing with metals. My guess is they would look great with yellow gold, but they could pop in silver.

rubyearring8948.jpg

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for your opinion FlyGirl - and another pic of an earring charm (lovely ruby!)

I can see either white or yellow gold being great - hard to tell with that shade of golden/yellow stone. Guess I'll have to wait until the stones arrive and take some pics with each type of metal... I'm kind of hoping they look good with white, so I can use silver as a more economical setting option. :cheeky:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results