shape
carat
color
clarity

Help With Designing Shank

Tully

Rough_Rock
Hi all. Newbie here, but been following for quite some time.

My story is - I'm up for 10 years of marriage in September and hubby has promised me an upgrade on my cheap little ruby ring I bought about 15 years ago. I've got myself a gorgeous emerald cut 1.5c Burmese ruby and have decided to go with a very fine claw set airline/floating halo around it. All gold is yellow gold. Ruby measures 7.8mm x 5.7mm and I'm wanting the halo to be very small, at about 1.2mm, so it doesn't over-power the ruby IYKWIM.

My problem lies with the shank. I have fat little fingers and as this will be the only ring on my right hand it needs to be able to hold its own. I was thinking of a 6mm wide shank and all I can come up with is four rows of claw set 1.2mm diamonds - same size as the halo.

My other thought was to go a 5.5mm wide shank with a row of claw set 1.2mm diamonds on the outer edges and a row of 3.1mm diamonds in the middle to give it a bit of size. Do you think the bigger diamonds in the middle row will detract from the size of the ruby?

My aim is for the ruby to be the star of the show and not outshone by the diamonds. I realise they're only small and as some people have said to me "no one will notice them", but I want to get the symmetry right so that it looks in proportion, but still has a "wow" factor about it. It's so hard when you're dealing with something so small and costly.

estelle

Rough_Rock
If I were you, here's what I would do for finger coverage: I would set the EC ruby east/west in a halo. I would have a plain shank and I would put stackers on either side of it per my mood. Congrats on your ruby! Sounds beautiful. :)

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Congratulations on your anniversary and your fab ruby! Way to go.

Can you find photos online that resemble what you'd like? Maybe a few different ones. It would be easier to get an idea that way.

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the shank is too thick, it can also potentially detract from the ruby (make it look smaller), which is why super thin delicate bands were the rage a few years ago and is still going strong. What is your ring size? At this point, it might be better to play around with online pictures to see what it might look like proportion-wise. I also agree that it is very possible for the ruby to be outshone by multiple small diamonds.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Laurie that some photos as concept ideas would be very helpful. Fwiw, I have very small hands but big fingers and wide bands only serve to emphasize the size of my fingers, unfortunately. :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results