shape
carat
color
clarity

help with cuprian tourmaline

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is your preferred size and budget? The experts hopefully chime in later and can advice you on this.

The stone you posted is from Adam of Paraiba International and he is a trusted vendor: www.paraibainternational.com
This particular stone does not seem very glowy I'm afraid.
Paraiba's and cuprian's are normally heated, sometimes clarity enhanced since they can be full of inclusions. I bought one faceted Paraiba via Leon Mege and he normally has a small collection of stones since he works often with these stones. But they come with a pricetag. I have also bought a cabochon stone from Paraiba International which is probably less glowy compared to my faceted stone, but I loved the color and soft shape of a cab.

In general faceted stones will be more glowy but more expensive as well.

I hope you will find your dreamstone soon. Hopefully poster Mochiko chimes in: she has found the most gorgeous cuprian and she has set it in a stunning warm gold setting with light pink sapphires. She might have some good advice on gem shows.

_24717.jpg

_24718.jpg

_24719.jpg

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
For a cab with a pale color the price is to high - you will find a better one...

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
Ok I'll pass on that one. I'm after a bright neon colour

Im sure anything from leon will be out of my budget

Size wise - if it's a cab then I'm looking at least a 7 mm round up to an 10 x8 oval
And about 8 mm if it's a faceted stone

Budget wise under 4k

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
leonpariba.jpg

only slightly over budget (lol), my finger size & all

the GIA on this states clarity enhanced, would that just be oiling?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
puppyguts|1417413429|3793133 said:
leonpariba.jpg

only slightly over budget (lol), my finger size & all

the GIA on this states clarity enhanced, would that just be oiling?

No, it could be resin or a polymer too. Nice ring, but I would rather see it against a white background to properly judge saturation on that cab.

Isn't there a video of it on youtube?

S

SparkliesLuver

Hi, puppyguts. Not sure if you've seen it on any other threads, but I bought and returned a paraiba cab from Adam not too long ago (because I realized that I wanted a faceted stone), but it did have some neon glow. The glow didn't knock you over but it was there. Just thought I'd let you know, plus it seems to fit your specs.

http://www.paraibainternational.com/product_info.php?product=2515

If you're interested, let me know and I can direct you to another PS link where I posted my pictures.

gummybeartraps

Rough_Rock
Are there any other stones that are a similar color (with or without the glow) that are more accessible?

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I just found 2 Nigerian Paraiba from a local cutter. I'm picking them up Friday. Attached are Pics'

aare_paraibas.jpg

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Sparkliesluver that's stone looks nice and bright to me. I think I'll contact them

leon's stone from the video looks to me like a pale blue

S

SparkliesLuver

puppyguts said:
Thanks Sparkliesluver that's stone looks nice and bright to me. I think I'll contact them

Sure thing. By the way, I did deal with Adam a bit on the price, just fyi. ;-)

S

SparkliesLuver

mochiko42 said:
Sparklieslover, was that one more blue or green?

So sorry, mochiko, I didn't see your question! :oops:

I'd say it was more on the blue side.

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
puppyguts|1417306149|3792516 said:
Help me find a Pariba Tourmaline, where to look, suggestions

I found this online on ebay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Brazillian-Paraiba-Tourmaline-Cushion-1-71-Carats-/190751246221

__kgrhqn__pefb_wewzgzbqmyh6kwqg__60_35_0.jpg

im not necessarily looking for a cab, just that neon glow

is heat common on these? if there is a help topics on tourmaline can someone please post the link

thanks
I am fairly certain I bought and returned that stone a while back. Didn't have that super saturated glowy quality I was after.

Edit: No, I was wrong. The stone I bought and returned was smaller. It looked very similar to this one though.

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
from Leon

leonparaiba.jpg

$2800 3.23 carats

the colour looks pretty amazing to me

thoughs?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
puppyguts|1417819413|3796055 said:
from Leon

leonparaiba.jpg

$2800 3.23 carats

thoughs?

Meh to me. I'm sorry. :(

Maybe it's just the photo. It is a fair retail price however, even for Leon.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
puppyguts|1417819413|3796055 said:
from Leon

leonparaiba.jpg

$2800 3.23 carats

thoughs?

Did you ask for more photo's? In my one time experience the stone from Perry/Leon looked much better in real life compared to the photo's. Not something to count on though with colored stones.
I find it hard to judge on this one photo.

GoldfishPie

Rough_Rock
Beautiful tourmaline. I want to get in contact with Leon about a cab... Think he has anything under $1k?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GoldfishPie|1417928266|3796943 said:
Beautiful tourmaline. I want to get in contact with Leon about a cab... Think he has anything under $1k?

His stones will mostly have a higher price but it never hurts to ask. Not sure though whether it's possible to source loose stones or whether you would to get a setting via Leon as well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you are fussed about treatment, do ask if it has been oiled or filled to improve the clarity. This treatment is getting more prevalent but not often disclosed.

sparkleismyfavcolor

Shiny_Rock
Acinom said:
Did you ask for more photo's? In my one time experience the stone from Perry/Leon looked much better in real life compared to the photo's. Not something to count on though with colored stones.
I find it hard to judge on this one photo.

I agree. Especially a hand shot. =)

Chrono said:
If you are fussed about treatment, do ask if it has been oiled or filled to improve the clarity. This treatment is getting more prevalent but not often disclosed.

Also agree!

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
I have asked for more info

treatments, certification, dimensions & photos :angel:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the stone much better in these photo's. It would be great if Perry could make a pic with the stone on his hand in natural daylight.

What is your own impression? I actually like the stone and the price seems to be a fair one. But wait until the experts chime in.
I am not sure to what extent the color looks like this because if the lights used.

From my own experience I can say that my Paraiba from Perry/Leon looked a lot different compared to the photo's and the video that was made of the completed ring later. In a good way. The one single photo that resembled reality was a crappy iPhone pic that was snapped together with the french cut diamonds that was used for the ring.

Curious to hear what you think!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does he have a lab report confirming that it has not been oiled or resin filled? Many a reputable vendor were caught by surprise when the stone came back with this treatment because most are not aware that this is now possible and/or trusted their source's word that it is heat only. I don't want to name names but I've seen at least 2 PSers who were surprised that their Paraibas came back from the labs as clarity enhanced. One was oiled and the other was resin filled. Both were from highly reputable sources and therefore gave them a full refund.

puppyguts

Shiny_Rock
Leons email was very brief :

"10 x 8 mm
Not certified.
Treatment in Paraiba cannot be tested. This is not a sapphire. Nobody in the world can guarantee that Paraiba was not heated. If they do, they lie.
Please see below"

I personally like the colour, I was expecting it to be heated as all of the Paraiba I have seen are

I don't really wasn't to bug them too much, they are probably used to people spending a lot more money than I will be - I don't want to be annoying. Should I ask for a hand shot??

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results