shape
carat
color
clarity

Help with an inexpensive bezel ring

lizzi87

Rough_Rock
Hello everyone!

I need a new engagement and wedding ring. The one I have is a cushion cut green amethyst in a prong setting, pave diamonds on the e-ring and half eternity pave band. With a small child, I can't wear the ring. I'd have cut her up by now given her and my natural aptitude towards falling over.

I'd like to have a besel set e ring with a thin band. Just the center stone. The wedding band I'd like to just be a thing gold band. My favorite idea is a sideswept teardrop.

I'm mainly looking for price and comfort but that's a lot harder than I thought it would be. I'm very open to different types of stones although I gravitate towards green and greenish blue colors. I also love labradorite and smoky quartz.

I would like it to be gold because I think silver isn't as good a setting. (Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though!)

I'm not sure if I should find a stone and then someone to set it. I need to keep both rings under 300 dollars. I want something unique and well made but my budget sucks. Any ideas or help or suggestions would be so greatly appreciated. I miss wearing my rings but they are just not working on a daily basis.

TIA!

Lauren

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Lauren would you be open to a vintage or pre-owned ring? Some of my favourite pieces are pre-owned and you can really snag a bargain.

Is your budget 300 for each ring or all up? It may be hard to buy a nice stone and also have it set in gold for that price.
I had a stone custom set in Argentium silver earlier this year and that cost almost 100 just for the setting! If you are looking at buying a stone and having it set I would suggest making sure the stone is a calibrated size/ will fit a stock or pre-made setting as these are generally more affordable than custom made rings.

Hope this helps and I look forward to seeing your ring!

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
PS I love the idea of a side swept teardrop/pear! I saw one posted on PS not that long ago and immediately wanted one!!

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
i love the side-set pears as well. i would suggest browsing etsy and preowned. i agree with PP that this will be difficult to do as a custom piece. what types of stones do you like? if you are open to cabochons or rose cuts, there may be more options in your price range. on the other hand, if you want a more traditional faceted stone you may have quite a challenge finding what you want. if you go with silver, you will also have a lot more options in your price range. i think with a bezel setting there are not so many concerns about durability for silver. the main issues with silver (from what i understand) are upkeep because it tarnishes and potential skin reactions due to nickel or other base metal allergies. I might look for argentium silver which doesn't tarnish (or does so at a glacially slow rate compared to typical silver). if you like a 2-tone look you can also consider options with a silver band and gold bezel (again, depends on what color stone you want). pricing for stones of different species/sizes/colors/clarities varies widely. can you give us a better sense of what size/shape/color/stone type you are considering?

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the band, do you want just something like this - http://www.e-weddingbands.com/store/product876.html ? I'm not sure we can get both rings for $300 if they're in gold.

Nodeform has awesome pear rings, but this one is in silver and still over budget - https://www.etsy.com/listing/104336957/tear-drop-pink-tourmaline-engagement

Yvonne Raley is someone who I buy from several times a year, and she is really good at working within a budget and putting together awesome stuff. I would definitely convo her on Etsy. She miiiiiight even be able to get it done in gold. https://www.etsy.com/shop/yvonneraley?ref=l2-shop-info-name

lizzi87

Rough_Rock
Frankly I am open to whatever gets me what I want, is as close to my budget as possible, and will last. So preowned is fine. I'm a big resale shop fan!

This is what I was thinking for the band.
Hey, I found this really awesome Et...75398/strong-but-thin-domed-or-flat-top-14-kt[/url]

If that link doesn't work, feel free to laugh at this noob cause I have no clue how that magic works.

Something incredible thin, basically. My fingers are small and kind of angry so the thinner, the better.

I am open to cabochons but I'm not sure what rose cuts are. I'm a very......"unique" person (feel free to read odd, weird, kind of strange but not in a psychopath way instead of unique there)......and I like things that stretch the current definitions. I do like two tone looks and I am a fan of oxidized silver as well.

I do really want a sideswept teardrop so the stone can't be too small or it'll be lost. Probably in the 6 or 7 mm range. I am a fan of green and london blue colors but I also like smoky quartz and labradorite. I'm open to some ideas there clearly. Not a red, pink, yellow, orange, purple fan.

And I just want to say THANK YOU for the number of responses and suggestions I have already received. I'm excited now!

Question: is there anyone who thinks doing it in silver is a BAD idea? I didn't even consider silver cause I thought it was just not a choice.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
A rose cut is kind of in between a cabochon and a faceted stone. It will basically have a flat bottom like a cab, but have chunky facets cut into the top rather than a smooth domed surface. I really like this for low-clarity or included diamonds, I think they're interesting, completely unique, and also very low profile. But you can get just about anything in a rose cut, if you're looking for a low profile bezel it's definitely the way to go. And I'd definitely contact janish on etsy, as others here have mentioned.

Here's a diagram for a rose cut, so you can see what it would look like from the top and the side:

http://junkboxtreasures.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/Round-Faceted-Stone-Rose-Cut.jpg

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
You could also look for someone who will work in goldfill. You definitely don't want gold plated -- that will wear quickly -- but goldfill might work esp if you want a white metal and if these are just a relatively short-term set for while you have young kids.

ETA: I'm also interested to hear what others thoughts are on silver. My personal feeling is for this application and budget it is appropriate.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
also check out kyleanne metals. i think folks here have bought from her before and she is having a sale.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KyleAnneMetals

not a side-set pear but a side-set trillion rose-cut green quartz with gold bezel and silver band for 135
https://www.etsy.com/listing/180990418/on-sale-rose-cut-trillion-prehnite?ref=shop_home_active_24

and she has some pretty hammered or twisted gold bands that should be able to stack with her other rings and might be within budget.

or here's a very dainty sideswept pear from another etsy seller in tsavorite/YG. the stone is small but doesn't look lost b/c the band is so thin (IMO). based on her other prices looks like you could get a matching band within your budget.

ETA: I like shopping.

deskjockey

Brilliant_Rock
enbcfsobe|1418840812|3803054 said:
also check out kyleanne metals. i think folks here have bought from her before and she is having a sale.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/KyleAnneMetals

I think OP mentioned liking labrodorite, kyleanne metals has a little bitty rose-cut bezel one:

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/165021873/on-sale-rose-cut-labradorite-bloom-in?ref=shop_home_active_2

That, plus one of her little bands, would come right in the desired budget :)

It's not a pear, but I thought it looked pretty cool :)

lizzi87

Rough_Rock
Wow! You guys are even more on top of this than I am! I'm so glad I came here!

I'm fairly certain I haven't mentioned this before now but I am also looking for comfort because this will become my everyday wedding set with my green amethyst/diamond pave set being for special occasions.

In other words, I want a pretty dainty band for both so I can actually wear them together and not hate life. The thicker bands hit some weird nerve in my finger that sends shooting pain up my hand.

Since it will be everyday wear, I wasn't thinking I could use silver but I'm open to it. Again, thank you for all the wonderful suggestions! Keep 'em coming!

kimpnoth

Rough_Rock
RE: Durability of silver

I have a silver ring I've been wearing for,um, 35 years. I wear it almost everyday to work and out-and-about. I do not wear it for housework, yard work, etc., although I occasionally forget to remove it when doing some minor, active things. I don't abuse it, but I don't baby it either. It's held up well. There are some dings, and I did have to have the bezel replaced about 5-7 years ago (it was just worn), but otherwise it's been good to me.

evergreen

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, OP! There's an Etsy vendor, Caroline Henry, who works in sterling and, when I emailed her in July about theoretically setting a stone, was happy to work with customers' stones. Her prices for finished pieces are really reasonable, and I love her bezels -- they have a simple, smooth but robust look that might compliment a side-swept pear well since it's an unusual choice, and protect it. https://www.etsy.com/shop/CHenry?ref=shop_sugg She will also bezel in rose or yellow gold (for color and durability).

But, full disclosure, I haven't actually seen in-hand any of her work, I just keep planning to have her set about 4 or 5 of my stones and never quite get around to emailing her. :D

p.s. These -- http://www.thegemtrader.com/Dec12TourmPairPage.htm -- are some very pretty rose-cut tourmaline pears... Yes, tourmaline is a softer stone, but if your amethyst has done OK maybe you aren't that hard on your hands, and you're planning to bezel, and a rose cut can be set low...! I've' just loved them from afar for a little while. If you only want one of them, I bet you could sell the other on Loupetroop or Diamond Bistro pretty easily.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results