shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me find a Push Present for my wife

stussy5555

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am new to the board so I apologize if I am posting in the wrong area or posting links I should not be posting. My wife is due April 22nd, and I am looking for a really nice push present for her. I want something unique and different. Her birth date is October 18th so I was thinking a nice Opal. I found one I really like but I have no idea what a good price is for it. What's it worth and is this a reasonable price?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-Black-Opal-Diamond-Fashion-Ring-/380196527902?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item58857a9f1e

Also if you have any other ideas, please send them my way.

- Budget: $30K
- Needs to either be Opal or Ruby/Diamonds in the same ring
- Nothing gaudy or larger than 5CT

Thanks guys!

stussy5555

Rough_Rock
derbygal|1397844208|3655588 said:
This one is slightly over your carat weight amount and price, but it is a stunner. $34,500 Tiffany ring. 5.54 carats. http://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/more-rings/tiffany-co-black-opal-ring/id-j_91494/

This ring is amazing! I don't have any problem going slightly over budget, I just want to make sure the price I am paying is not too much. My problem is that I don't have a clue on what I am buying and if I am paying too much. I can only see that it looks great. So with that said, what would you say Tiffany sells this ring for in their retail store?

Thanks!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the first one you posted - the one from ebay, for the rainbow POC. But unfortunately, I don't know anything about that vendor.

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have no clue about the price a Tiffany ring of that size. Hopefully someone else can chime in. Good luck with your search. What a lucky lady you have to be getting such a wonderful gift! :appl:

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the way, the Tiffany ring is on a fancy website called 1stDibs that sells antique, vintage/used jewelry. It would be a second-hand item. I have no idea on the price of a new opal ring.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
stussy5555|1397845114|3655597 said:
derbygal|1397844208|3655588 said:
This one is slightly over your carat weight amount and price, but it is a stunner. $34,500 Tiffany ring. 5.54 carats. http://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/more-rings/tiffany-co-black-opal-ring/id-j_91494/

This ring is amazing! I don't have any problem going slightly over budget, I just want to make sure the price I am paying is not too much. My problem is that I don't have a clue on what I am buying and if I am paying too much. I can only see that it looks great. So with that said, what would you say Tiffany sells this ring for in their retail store?

Thanks!
I imagine that that is a one of a kind piece and vintage, so there is really no telling how much it'd be retail/new.

http://www.rauantiques.com/item/Tif...WELRY&fq=Stone:Opal&rows=99999&follownutch=no

stussy5555

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the help! It looks like it's hard to gauge whether you are getting a good price or not but if you like the ring and it's coming from a reputable company, you should be OK.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I don't know enough about opal or ruby prices to advise specifically, but though the 1st ring you posted is very pretty, I am wondering why a jeweler would price a "Brand New!" as they put it, ring that they say retails for $29K, at $19K. They may be perfectly dependable but that strikes me as fishy. Especially when they're in Palm Beach.

I didn't find the opal ring on Tiffany's website. Doubt they sell it currently.

The last ring, posted by Virginia Zee, is gorgeous. I can't imagine anyone not being over the moon at that. It's pink enough that I'd be tempted to call it a pink sapphire rather than a ruby, but a rose is still a rose, you know.

Somebody with more ruby and/or opal knowledge is bound to stop by soon & give you better ideas on costs. Good luck and congratulations!

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
What a lovely husband you are!

Has she specifically said she wants an opal? It's a very specific taste and choice for a ring. Not everyone likes them and having a statement piece like that might not be everyone's cup of tea. I think if you are hoping to surprise her, a Ruby might be a safer option?

Some people also consider opals bad luck, but I think that historical superstition has pretty much passed.

luvsdmb

Brilliant_Rock
Better yet, let her pick out what she wants. That would be fun for her! After all diamonds are Aprils birthstone.
How fun would that be for her, a push present for Mom now that one day could be passed down to baby.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
fyi rubies are far better suited for rings. Opals are much softer (therefore more susceptible to scratching & abrasion), more fragile, and require extra babying.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
MollyMalone|1397919878|3656079 said:
fyi rubies are far better suited for rings. Opals are much softer (therefore more susceptible to scratching & abrasion), more fragile, and require extra babying.

I was going to raise this point too. Opal is quite fragile and I don't believe it will hold up to daily wear. Occasional wear, maybe.

It's 5.5 on moh's scale vs 9 of that of a ruby's

It's an important consideration.

Good luck!

simurgh

Rough_Rock
misskittycat|1397900414|3655962 said:

Has she specifically said she wants an opal? It's a very specific taste and choice for a ring. Not everyone likes them and having a statement piece like that might not be everyone's cup of tea. I think if you are hoping to surprise her, a Ruby might be a safer option?

d.

+1 on this ... As another October baby, with our first due in august, I hate opals (and am not too find of peridots, which is the august birthstone) (though at least my mom loves them). They can also be a little hard to match clothes or other jewelry to. Those rubies are stunners, or a diamond for April would be lovely.

MarionC

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Some people also consider opals bad luck, but I think that historical superstition has pretty much passed.
As to the luck, I've always heard that opals are lucky for people born in the "opal month" =)

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
Jimmianne|1398044346|3656830 said:

As to the luck, I've always heard that opals are lucky for people born in the "opal month" =)

It's so funny how people read differently into things. Personally I am not superstitious at all but some people are. It can be a good and bad thing!! I actually think that the opal rings that have been posted are all gorgeous but I wouldn't wear them as they aren't my cup of tea. And I have associations with opals and naff 70's jewellery, but that's my cross to bear. Also, the point about them being soft is an important one. Me? I wear my push present (diamond stud earrings) almost every day. I want to wear them all the time. You definitely can't do that with an opal ring.

All of this is a moot point if the OP's significant other is a huge fan and has specifically requested a large opal ring ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Will this be an everyday wear or occasional wear ring? Does she know how to care for an opal? It would be horrible to have a $20K opal dry up or get scratched. Even wiping with the wrong cloth can scratch up the opal.
http://www.gemsociety.org/article/opal-jewelry-and-gemstone-information

When purchasing something this expensive, I would have the stone verified by a lab to make sure it is what it is advertised to be. I would also caution you that the seller does NOT accept returns. The only way the seller would accept a return is through an eBay dispute should the ring be not as described. In this case, there is so little information that it is practically in their favour.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-Black-Opal-Diamond-Fashion-Ring-/380196527902?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item58857a9f1e

stussy5555

Rough_Rock
I ended up buying the ring that derbyGal posted, but I bought it directly through MS Rau Antiques. I spoke to their gemologist on the phone to get more information about the ring, its history, etc. After doing a little research, I found that they are very reputable. They also guarantee the authenticity of the ring. So I will be taking it to Tiffany's to get checked out.

When derbyGal posted that particular ring, I knew that was the one (Thank you derbyGal!). I also knew my wife would love it. After luvsdmb mentioned that I should let her pick out what she wants, I decided to show my wife the ring prior to having the ring shipped (being how expensive it is) - she absolutely loved it. I showed her all the other options in this thread, and I even told her she could pick out anything she wanted, and she wanted this ring. It's a very classy and timeless piece - a style both of us like.

We are aware that it's a fragile piece and not a daily wearer. I will also make sure we research the care of the ring as well, and ask the staff at Tiffany as well. Last but not least, we will get insurance on it, however, I will need to better understand what insurance does and does not cover.

http://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/rings/more-rings/tiffany-co-black-opal-ring/id-j_91494/

Thank you all again for your advice and input. Next comes the baby! :shock:

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm concerned that the pic, when magnified, suggests the opal suffers from "crazing". Australian opals in general have a lower water content than others, but that doesn't mean they inevitably are impervious to crazing. So please scrutinize it carefully (if it is crazed, I would return it regardless of its Tiffany provenance).

I wish I had some fail-safe pointers for you, should you keep it as planned. Alas, I don't... I'm easy on my rings, but I ruined the black opal in the special occasion ring I inherited from my grandmother by accidentally knocking the ring into an arm rest at the Met Opera House as my SO was helping me off with my coat... sigh :(sad

This ring obviously has spoken to both you and your wife, and it commemorates such a happy occasion for you two. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed & wishing you well with it! More importantly, much joy to the soon-to-be three of you :))

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rau Antiques is a reputable outfit. Regardless, please double check their return/refund policies. Also, please ask the gemmologist about the condition of the opal (any cracking or crazing or scratches).

derbygal

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope the ring meets all of your expectations and that it turns out to be a great opal. Congrats to you and your wife! :wavey:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oops. :oops: Should've finished the thread first.

OP: what a great present! I'll have your kids too if you like :bigsmile: :saint:

I hope its more beautiful than anticipated and she wears it in good health for years to come. Congratulations on your baby, btw!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results