shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me decide on this pink sapphire!

Nurse22

Rough_Rock
I've been a pricescope lurker for probably a decade. Usually, if I have a question it's already been answered somewhere within the forums. However, we very recently purchased a pink sapphire for a ring project and it wasn't quite what we were expecting from the vendor photos. So I determined it was time for my first post/plea for opinions. The vendor photos display a light pink color with peachy undertones and purple flashes. In person, it appears as a purple pink with some peach undertones. I'm not sure if I should love it or if I should send it back. I knew when I was purchasing a stone from across the country that there was a great chance it would look different in person and why we chose a vendor with a great return policy. I was definitely expecting a lighter stone and I was expecting to love it. Opinions please.

It's apparent this vendor makes every attempt to accurately depict the actual color of their stones but they also accurately state there is no exception to seeing them in person. It's a shame we can't just make the trip and pick on out in person!

_33214.jpg

_33215.jpg

_33216.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you already have your answer. Even if it did look like the photos, if you don't love it you don't love it.

I do, however, feel it really doesn't look like the vendor photos when comparing them to your photos. I would have to ask though, to your eye, do you ever see it look like the vendors pic IRL?

Nurse22

Rough_Rock
I do LOVE the vendor pics but, no, I don't see it look in real life as it does in the photos. There are times in real life that I am pleased with the stone but I'm not sure I love it like I do the photos, if that makes sense. Thank you so for your reply.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nurse22|1439421963|3913895 said:
I do LOVE the vendor pics but, no, I don't see it look in real life as it does in the photos. There are times in real life that I am pleased with the stone but I'm not sure I love it like I do the photos, if that makes sense. Thank you so for your reply.
Yes it totally makes sense.

If you don't love it let her go, try something else. ::)

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
As you may know from lurking the forums, we can't really decide this for you as personal preference is exactly that - personal ;-)

However if you're wanting our opinion of what we think of the stone then we can help there! To be honest from what I see, I like the colour I am seeing in your pictures better than the vendors, it looks more saturated. So while it doesn't look the same as the vendor pic, the colour looks better than the vendor pics to my eyes.

From what you were describing as far as your desired colour, it sounds like a Padparascha may be a bit more what you're searching for?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think as a good rule of thumb (IMHO), if you have to ask if you "should" love it, then you already know you dont :( It's a hard thing to be excited about something and then have it not quite be what you wanted IRL, but definitely don't hesitate to send it back and try again. It was smart to choose a vendor with a good return policy. Good luck, and let us know what you find!

Nurse22

Rough_Rock
jordyonbass|1439424701|3913902 said:
As you may know from lurking the forums, we can't really decide this for you as personal preference is exactly that - personal ;-)

However if you're wanting our opinion of what we think of the stone then we can help there! To be honest from what I see, I like the colour I am seeing in your pictures better than the vendors, it looks more saturated. So while it doesn't look the same as the vendor pic, the colour looks better than the vendor pics to my eyes.

From what you were describing as far as your desired colour, it sounds like a Padparascha may be a bit more what you're searching for?

Well who doesn't love a good pad? There isn't anything that's quite like them! But no, I wanted a LIGHTER pink stone than I was expecting. I also wasn't prepared for the deep purple hues. I appreciate the peach color and the lavender color in the vendor pics.

Yes; opinions on the stone is what I'm after, and if I should keep it. Thanks for the help.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock

So it looks like the stone is more saturated than the vendor photos, and you are looking for a very light pink?
It appears both your shots were taken indoors, what kind of light did you take them under? Do you have any outdoor (shade) pictures? Or under fluorescent lights? This may help give us a little better reading of the color. From the vendor's description it sounds like it might be a 'shifty' color stone, changing noticeably under different light?

Nurse22

Rough_Rock
PieAreSquared|1439427506|3913915 said:

So it looks like the stone is more saturated than the vendor photos, and you are looking for a very light pink?
It appears both your shots were taken indoors, what kind of light did you take them under? Do you have any outdoor (shade) pictures? Or under fluorescent lights? This may help give us a little better reading of the color. From the vendor's description it sounds like it might be a 'shifty' color stone, changing noticeably under different light?

That's exactly right! I have carried this stone into every different lighting situation I could for the past 2.5 days trying to "find" the stone in the pictures. Also I keep having to pull it out and look at it because I can't remember the color in my mind, it looks different all the time. Thank you that makes so much sense about it being shifty in color. The two pictures I posted are my first impression of the stone right inside our back door (which is as far as I got with the package before opening it) but that area of the house is kind of dark. It's also the color I see the most when I look at it. I will definitely post more pics.

Nurse22

Rough_Rock
More pics. Thank y'all for not being harsh, I was a little hesitant to post.

_33221.jpg

_33222.jpg

_33223.jpg

_33224.jpg

Nurse22

Rough_Rock
If it looked like this second pic in real life I would be sold, smitten and completely happy with this stone. However the only time I've seen it look like this is IN THIS PICTURE. I knew sapphires look different in different lighting but it varies greatly. This picture gives me hope that I might have the stone I want? Who knew a sapphire could be so conflicting.

S

SparkliesLuver

My personal two cents is send it back. If you don't open the box and immediately go, "wow!" then it's not the right stone. Nothing wrong with that - it just didn't work out. Pictures and descriptions can only go so far, then you gotta see it in person.

In the picture where you love it, what lighting is that? Is that where you'll often be or no?

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I love the sapphire better in your pics compared to the vendor pics at it looks more saturated in your pics. But what's most relevant is that you were looking for the 'sweet baby pink' from the vendor pics. I would therefore advice you to send it back and continue to look at more stones. Perhaps Gemfix will be better able to help you now that you have seen the stone in real life.

S

SparkliesLuver

Is there a certain shape you're looking for? Gary has an emerald cut burmese spinel - just a touch smaller than the cushion you currently have - that's what I'd describe as baby pink, but it doesn't have any peachy tones.

7592197_orig.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
SparkliesLuver|1439467193|3914033 said:
My personal two cents is send it back. If you don't open the box and immediately go, "wow!" then it's not the right stone. Nothing wrong with that - it just didn't work out. Pictures and descriptions can only go so far, then you gotta see it in person.

In the picture where you love it, what lighting is that? Is that where you'll often be or no?

I second this! I've definitely made the mistake of waiting and figuring that I will "soon/sometime" love the stone, since I loved it in photos/online. But that's always ended in me being disappointed and the stone just sitting in the box, unfortunately. But I think the spinel posted might be a nice color, since it looks more baby pink and that seems to be the color you're after.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Don't know if this is the right color or in your price range, but found this on wildfishgems.com. Kind of has a bowtie looking thing in one of the pics, but not in the hand picture. It's $975.

pps106-b.jpg
pps106-bhs.jpg
pps106-certDD.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LDogs,
That dark bowtie will come on and off, depending on the angle and lights.

Nurse,
Actually a darker more saturated colour is worth more but if you don't like it, it doesn't matter how much it is worth because that's not what you wanted. In this case, I would return the stone and perhaps ask Andrew if he has a lighter coloured stone?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1439471892|3914051 said:
LDogs,
That dark bowtie will come on and off, depending on the angle and lights.

Nurse,
Actually a darker more saturated colour is worth more but if you don't like it, it doesn't matter how much it is worth because that's not what you wanted. In this case, I would return the stone and perhaps ask Andrew if he has a lighter coloured stone?

Thanks Chrono! I wasn't sure if it was just the picture, or whether it would always be there. In that case maybe it isn't a great one.

Nurse22

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1439468816|3914038 said:
Is there a certain shape you're looking for? Gary has an emerald cut burmese spinel - just a touch smaller than the cushion you currently have - that's what I'd describe as baby pink, but it doesn't have any peachy tones.

I'm looking for either an oval or cushion. I really love those peachy undertones and I've determined I really don't care for those lilac-y deep purple hues. This is a beautiful stone, I tend to keep an eye on Gary's page and newsletter in case he gets either a sapphire or spinel that fits what I'm looking for.

_33232.jpg

_33233.jpg

_33234.jpg

_33235.jpg

Nurse22

Rough_Rock

This picture was taken outside but when I look at the stone outside it doesn't look like this. The picture captured something I don't see in the stone but is exactly what I want...it kind of gave me hope.

Nurse22

Rough_Rock
lovedogs|1439471537|3914050 said:
Don't know if this is the right color or in your price range, but found this on wildfishgems.com. Kind of has a bowtie looking thing in one of the pics, but not in the hand picture. It's $975.

pps106-b.jpg
pps106-bhs.jpg
pps106-certDD.jpg

Very pretty but not quite the shape I'm looking for. The stone I have is approximately $2,500. Thank you for showing me this stone.

Nurse22

Rough_Rock
lovedogs|1439469049|3914040 said:

I second this! I've definitely made the mistake of waiting and figuring that I will "soon/sometime" love the stone, since I loved it in photos/online. But that's always ended in me being disappointed and the stone just sitting in the box, unfortunately. But I think the spinel posted might be a nice color, since it looks more baby pink and that seems to be the color you're after.

Yeah I was afraid of that but I also was afraid I might regret returning it but I'm kind of doubting that now.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another seller to try may be Hemi Englisher at Gemcal.com He seems to have a fair supply of spinel from time to time. It may be worth asking him if he has anything. For that matter, some PSers have actually gone to Gemfix and have reported back that the majority of their stones are not on the website. It may be worth calling them to ask if they have anything closer to what you seek.

PieAreSquared

Shiny_Rock

I can't say I agree.
If I open the box in the darkest spot in my house, I can't really expect to be immediately wowed, can I? I might wait till the next day and go "WOW" somewhere else. I am sure I am not the only PSer this has happened to?
However... if I spend several days with it and try it out under various light, and am still not wowed, then I would say it is not the right one for me.
Nurse22, it sounds like you have tried it on for a few days, and you are not loving the lilac, which is not going away.
Even though human tendency is to always 'believe our eyes', I would heartily recommend carefully reading the vendor descriptions (when provided) in addition to looking at their pictures, since they can describe what the picture may not translate. I'm thinking "icy pink", "baby pink", "warm pink" or similar may be the description for you to look for.
Think of this as a great learning experience, now you know what you do not want (lilac), and are closer to getting what you love!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From your pics I think the sapphire is lovely. However, if I was looking for a "baby pink" stone this one would not be the one for me due to the purple modifier. I only have one true baby pink stone (spinel) even though I have others described by lab reports as "pink". If you put them side by side you can easily pick out the true pink. So if a true pink is what you are going for- I would send that lovely stone back without any guilt. Someone will buy it and love it, and you will find the right stone in due time.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
If you are still interested in Gemfix, I have a pantone book (vestige of a misspent youth, lol).

This one is the only one that qualifies as actually pink:

Pink Sapphire Modified Brilliant Cut Oval
Weight: 1.63 cts
Measurements: 7.8x6.3mm, depth 4.5mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Madagascar
Enhancements: Heat only
Price: $ 1550.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_pink_433
Description: Certified Pink Sapphire with brilliance rivaling a spinel, no haziness here! Bright and flashy to the max, color is a beautiful cool pink. Awesome!
(Cut by Andrew Gulij)
(AGL lab report included).
Pantone 2365C--this is a pink color, but as a TINY touch of a purplish tone going on. Not NEARLY as purple as the one that you got. The other "pink" stones Andrew has are leaning toward lilac or mauve.

NOTE: If anyone else needs me to check a Gemfix stone with my pantone book, just start a thread. :wavey: :wavey:

Nurse22

Rough_Rock
iLander|1439496454|3914226 said:
If you are still interested in Gemfix, I have a pantone book (vestige of a misspent youth, lol).

This one is the only one that qualifies as actually pink:

Pink Sapphire Modified Brilliant Cut Oval
Weight: 1.63 cts
Measurements: 7.8x6.3mm, depth 4.5mm
Clarity: VVS
Origin: Madagascar
Enhancements: Heat only
Price: $ 1550.00
Order/Stock No.: sapphire_pink_433
Description: Certified Pink Sapphire with brilliance rivaling a spinel, no haziness here! Bright and flashy to the max, color is a beautiful cool pink. Awesome!
(Cut by Andrew Gulij)
(AGL lab report included).
Pantone 2365C--this is a pink color, but as a TINY touch of a purplish tone going on. Not NEARLY as purple as the one that you got. The other "pink" stones Andrew has are leaning toward lilac or mauve.

NOTE: If anyone else needs me to check a Gemfix stone with my pantone book, just start a thread. :wavey: :wavey:

Oh my thank you so much! This is such a big help! Is the 204pc stone considered purple too? It looks so pink. Does this include the spinels as well (all lilac and mauve?) So helpful, thank you!

Nurse22

Rough_Rock
I have considered these two spinels specifically because of their description light/icy pink with the peach flashes.

Spinel Oval Modified "Portuguese" Cut
Weight: 2.48 cts
Measurements: 9.2x7.2mm, depth 5.1mm
Clarity: VVS-VS
Origin: Pamir Mountains, Tajikistan
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 995.00
Order/Stock No.: spinel_299
Description: Bright and beautiful cool light pink with peach flashes. Excellent cut and eye clean. Pantone Color Card 672C with flashes of 1565C. (Cut by Andrew Gulij)

Spinel "Portuguese" Style Cut Oval
Weight: 2.08 cts
Measurements: 9x6.7mm, depth 4.8mm
Clarity: VVS-VS
Origin: Pamir Mountains, Tajikistan
Enhancements: None
Price: $ 695.00
Order/Stock No.: spinel_304
Description: Icy light pink with flashes of apricot. Appears very clean overall, some faint inclusions which may or may not be visible to the eye. Pantone Color Card 672C is close, with flashes of 1625C.
(Cut by Andrew Gulij)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
another potential site to explore would be Doug Menaude's new site kingstonegems.com. His bespoke gems site doesn't have tons of cut stones, but this site has more. I used the search filter for the color "pink" and it looks like he may have some that you may like. In particular he has some gorgeous pink sapphires, but they might be too "bright/electric pink" for you vs. the baby pink. Just another site to explore in case you like it :) And he is amazingly responsive via email and happy to answer questions.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results