shape
carat
color
clarity

Help me choose settings for my new stones!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
new_stones.jpg

I finally received the last of the latest batch of CS that I've bought. Now, on to setting them! I've decided to get them set by Sally at HoW, but would like some feedback on setting suggestions for the cuprian and the tanzanite. The star rose quartz I will get set into a yellow gold pendant. :)

(1) Mozambique cuprian tourmaline, 2.07 ct. About 7 mm roval shape (I previously posted about it here: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mozambique-cuprian-2-07-ct.203224/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mozambique-cuprian-2-07-ct.203224/[/URL] ) ....... It is rather deep so I would want to set it at low as possible.
Here are some of the doodles I did, any suggestions? I thought it might go nicely with a light pink sapphire halo, or white zircon halo. Or else a 3/5 stone ring, or a solitaire? I'm flip-flopping a bit on the setting for this one! I would probably do 18k yellow or rose gold for this depending on the setting.
cuprian-setting.jpg

(2) Light colored tanzanite 1.52 ct 7.34 mm x 5.87 mm (it's this one: http://selectgem.com/products/1-52ct-untreated-tanzanite )
Here are some doodles. I'm worried about the softness of tanzanite, so do you think it would be safer in a halo to protect it? I'm thinking of going with 14k rose gold for this ring.
tanzanite_setting.jpg
I also liked the look of this other ring that Sally has done.
uploadfromtaptalk1404045422544.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1404045434789.jpg

Suggestions/advice welcome!!! :love: :love: :love:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would not only set the cuprian as low as possible but as protectively as possible, hence I think a halo might be best. Pink sapphire or pink spinel halo in rose gold. As for the tanzanite, the standard HOW halo looks nice. The "problem" is that you now have 2 halo rings. Will it bother you to have several halo rings?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Tanzanite is also soft, so the halo may be best for it. My second choice would be the baguettes.

I agree with Chrono about a halo for the cuprian.

I didn't know that HOW did halos. Could you post more?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the feedback! Is there such a thing as too many halo rings?? :lol::lol:

Yep, HoW does halos but I still think their specialty is bezels and lotus rings. I found that iolite halo ring on the sold items page, seems like a custom job.

I hope this link works: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/151256776

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Don't know how I missed this! The stones are lovely :)) The pink quartz looks edible and I see you're setting it in a pendant - I look forward to the show and tell :))

I love the idea of the aquas with the cuprian 3-stone but be guided by those more experienced saying a halo would protect it more. The pink sapphires would be lovely, or an aqua halo?

Love the HoW setting for the tanz - just beautiful. It would look lovely with the pink sapphire halo, leaving the aquas for the cuprian!

Very exciting!

ETA: clarity

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Yep, HoW does halos but I still think their specialty is bezels and lotus rings.
You could always make one of them a bezel halo. IOW a whole lot of little bezels joined together to make a halo.

ephsea

Shiny_Rock
I'd like to vote for the pink sapphire halo as well for the cuprian! I've ogled cuprian/pink combos before, and I find it to be a real jaw-dropper. Also a big fan of the openwork on the bottom of that How setting. I'm eager to see everything set, you have such marvelous aesthetic sensibilities! :praise:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rose gold for the tanzanite and the cuprian. I would set the rose quartz in yellow gold.

texaskj

Brilliant_Rock
Doesn't Sally do beautiful work?
I'm not going to be any help, mochiko, but I really like all of your doodles.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Starzin, ephsea, TL and texaskj for your feedback and comments! Texaskj, thanks also for liking my doodles! I've no artistic talent at all but I had a lot of fun putting pen to paper - even bought a new pack of colored pencils to do so!

Here's a quick photo of the pink sapphire melee for the cuprian. I specifically asked for natural, soft baby pink that was less saturated instead of hot reddish pink in order to complement the gentle tone of the cuprian. This will be going in an 18k rose gold halo.

I decided to use diamonds instead of zircon for the tanzanite halo. 14k rose gold, but Sally asked if I would like to have the halo in WG to match the diamond melee. I'm not sure because I don't like having different golds for the head and shank, but I'm also concerned that the RG might detract from the diamond halo... Would be glad for your thoughts on this. :)

The melee for both halos will be 1 - 1.2mm.

Sally and I are also working on a special custom project. My first (and currently only) niece was born last year and I will meet her for the first time this coming Christmas. So I decided to ask Sally and Pomme to make a special gift that could be an heirloom piece inspired by the Faberge gold egg pendants. It's going to be a handcarved 10-13mm 14k YG golden egg locket/pendant, with a hand-engraved floral motif and studded with about half a dozen small round bluish green, green and pink tourmaline (see picture) . It will have a clasp so it can be opened and closed . I'm very excited to see how this turns out!

uploadfromtaptalk1405757990050.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1405758277118.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Wow, you have the best ideas! I'm gonna hire you to design settings for my stones that just sit here while I can't think of designs! :love:

The pink melee looks absolutely right for the cuprian. That will be stunning! As for the tanzanite -- I like rose gold with a diamond halo; it adds richness & you get the benefit of the rg next to the tanz. Holy mackeral, Michiko, the egg pendant sounds totally scrumptious. I wish I were your niece! Can't wait to see photos of everything when they're done!!!

--- Laurie

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie, thanks, you really overestimate my abilities. It's really Sally and Pomme who can translate my rough ideas into reality!

Here are my inspiration pics. Random pink sapphire and Paraiba necklace (via Google).. And a sterling heart locket from HoW (so I suggested something kinda similar, but yellow gold, egg shaped and studded with tourmalines).

uploadfromtaptalk1405768884193.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1405768899030.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
OMG, Mochiko, that necklace is a knockout. Such beautiful colors together & the saturations & tones so right. Wish it were mine! I think your niece's piece will be wonderful & something she'll always treasure. From Sally, the workmanship will be superb, too -- a perfect heirloom.

--- Laurie

endless_summer

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What fantastic projects! The cuprian is amazing, just amazing and the pink sapphire melee is flipping perfect for it. Definitely, no, there is not such as thing as too many halos - go for it, yay tanzanite! And, I can't wait to see how the egg pendant turns out - what a lucky niece!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The pink sapphires will look amazing around the cuprian. Great combination.

ilovegemstones

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I LOVE all of your stones, Mochiko! The tanzanite will look so amazing in that iolite halo ring she made in rose gold, just perfect! And the cuprian with the rose sapphires in rose gold will be so beautiful! She will do something magical for sure with the rose quartz pendant. I love the cutwork they do and your locket will be really special. Lucky niece you have! I can't wait to see the finished pics! :love:

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks pregcurious, endless summer, TL, and ilovegemstones! although I'm still a newbie, I feel that I've learned so much in a few short months from participating in the CS forum and PS in general. I'm very thankful for the wealth of knowledge available here and how willing people are to be honest and helpful (it's also nice to have a SMTB forum but I wouldn't have been able to learn more about CS without all the constructive feedback here) . Whether my wallet is grateful is another matter :razz:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You don't need any help at all; your ideas are fabulous. The light pink sapphires is going to be spectacular with the cuprian. I'm not sure about rose gold w/white diamonds for the tanzanite. I think I would need to see examples or pictures of them together before making a final decision. As for the gemstone studded pendant, can I be your second niece?

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A few vendor photos..more to come later as I get them from Sally. I think that the quality of HoW's work is very good considering the attractive price point for handforged/no casting work.

Mozambique cuprian with pink sapphire halo in RG. I think IRL the sapphires should be more baby pink and have less purple in it (may be the photo)...
icm_fullxfull_31.jpg
icm_fullxfull_32.jpg

Untreated tanzanite with diamond in RG
icm_fullxfull_34.jpg
icm_fullxfull_35.jpg

Star rose quartz cab in RG pendant
icm_fullxfull_33.jpg

Still to come.. egg pendant; lapis lazuli ring; Oregon sunstone pendant; August vintage diamond solitaire in RG..

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now THIS is how you should set a green blue tourmaline. The pink, halo and rose gold just make the stone pop.

Awesome ring, great job setting it!! :appl:

icm_fullxfull_31.jpg

The others are beautiful too, but this one ring is just why I always go on a roll about setting warm and cool stones together, and bright colored cool stones in rose gold.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1412516819|3762428 said:
Now THIS is how you should set a green blue tourmaline. The pink, halo and rose gold just make the stone pop.

icm_fullxfull_31.jpg

The others are beautiful too, but this one ring is just why I always go on a roll about setting warm and cool stones together, and bright colored cool stones in rose gold.

TL, I'm so glad I took your advice on setting it in rose gold. THANK YOU!! :wavey: :appl: I did flip flop between YG and RG for a bit, but very happy with how it looks with the pink sapphires and rose gold.. very, very impatient to get it in my grubby hands. (I've been so patient...waited 2 months, which seemed like a long time, but it was a bulk order for 7 pieces so... :naughty: :naughty: )

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
3 fabulous pieces!!! Congrats.

I especially love your gorgeous cuprian tourmaline with the delicate pink halo :love: I am looking forward to see how it looks on your hand. It's such a sophisticated colour combination.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are all beautiful! You do have the most amazing projects and I can't wait to see your heirloom locket. :appl:

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
mochiko42|1412517553|3762433 said:
TL|1412516819|3762428 said:

icm_fullxfull_31.jpg

TL, I'm so glad I took your advice on setting it in rose gold. THANK YOU!! :wavey: :appl: I did flip flop between YG and RG for a bit, but very happy with how it looks with the pink sapphires and rose gold.. very, very impatient to get it in my grubby hands. (I've been so patient...waited 2 months, which seemed like a long time, but it was a bulk order for 7 pieces so... :naughty: :naughty: )

Awesome - JEWEL OF THE WEEK !!!!!!! :appl: :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic new jewellery; my favourite is the cuprian in RG and pink melees! I hope someone else here on PS with a new Paraiba gets the hint. :tongue:

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that paraiba is divine! What a stunning colour combo.... :love: :love: :love:

lilmosun

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing...I think you should help me choose my settings for my new stones :)

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Wonderful!!! The paraiba is obviously a stand out but all are superb and I particularly like the pierced baskets on the rings :appl: :love: :appl:

Can't wait for the remainder!!

Chrono :twisted:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results