clarity

Help me choose a metal for my new Peter Torraca zircon

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Help me choose a metal for my new Peter Torraca zircon

pregcurious|1430019028|3867884 said:
I would put it with stepcut traps. Kind of like this:

I would love to do this, but I'm afraid that would be much more expensive. ::)

...unless someone can find me a deal on a pair?? ;))

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

That would be so expensive for a stone that size.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

DecoDaze|1430022890|3867903 said:
A couple of thoughts--I agree with Lovinggems about asking David about unplated WG, maybe higher karat for more warmth? That might work well, especially if you think YG is too yellow.

For the prongs, I think in close-ups, the single claws show off the cut corners best, but I'm wondering if from a distance, the single prongs will tend to visually "square off" the corners? I think from a distance (e.g., normal viewing conditions), the double claw emphasizes the lines of the cut corners better. I'm planning to do double claws on my asscher beryl for that reason. Of course, I could be wrong! :bigsmile:

Love your stone! :love:

Thanks for your thoughts, Deco... I may have to leave the prongs up to DK, I think. I'll have him do CADS showing each type and post here, but in IRL, I agree about the double prongs.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel|1430063225|3868056 said:
That would be so expensive for a stone that size.

Yeah... that's the problem. As you know, I'd LOVE to have a big 'ole whopping asscher three stone, but to have the budget for the side stones would most likely be triple (or more) my budget for the entire project. ::)

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Since I can't shell out several thousands of bucks for sidestones, I really just need help with an alloy that would best suit my stone (match as closely as possible).

Here's a photo I found of 14 vs 18k rose gold next to my stone. Although it shows darker, the 18K actually looks pretty good.

Anyone else have any comparison photos or links? [emoji3]

imageuploadedbytapatalk1430066355.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Just the RG comparison. Hopefully this one will show up better.

EDIT: okay, maybe not... :|

imageuploadedbytapatalk1430066511.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1430066418|3868082 said:
Since I can't shell out several thousands of bucks for sidestones, I really just need help with an alloy that would best suit my stone (match as closely as possible).

Here's a photo I found of 14 vs 18k rose gold next to my stone. Although it shows darker, the 18K actually looks pretty good.

David Klass works in more affordable options for side stones. I'm sure he could do white zircons if you want to go with natural gems, and at that size, they would look very believable.

14K rose will look more coppery than 18K, so it depends what you rather have, a more subtle look, or a very coppery look?

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

TL|1430066621|3868086 said:
msop04|1430066418|3868082 said:

David Klass works in more affordable options for side stones. I'm sure he could do white zircons if you want to go with natural gems, and at that size, they would look very believable.

14K rose will look more coppery than 18K, so it depends what you rather have, a more subtle look, or a very coppery look?

Thanks for the suggestions, but I really like the Erstwhile setting. I may mention it to him, but I'm not a fan of white zircons. If I were to do a three stone, I'd like diamonds... of course, I'd like a 4 ct solitaire ering, but that's not in the cards right now. :bigsmile:

I'd rather have a more subtle look, so it sounds as if the 18K may be the best option for this project.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I would do smaller stepcut traps, instead of ones that match the proportions of that ring exactly. DK can source ones. I actually just bought a set that I am planning to use for a jadeite (next to the spinel below).

The proportions of the side stones in this shank look pleasing to me, but that is a personal perference.

_29605.jpg

_29609.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Why all the suggestions about settings? Isn't this just what metal choice to use?

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock

Can DK show you photos with your stone next to his rose gold alloys? I think I prefer the less coppery rose gold, but it's hard to say without real life photos.

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

msop04|1430066518|3868085 said:
Just the RG comparison. Hopefully this one will show up better.

EDIT: okay, maybe not... :|

Based on this photo, I think the 18K would complement the stone very well, but I would ask David's opinion as well as ask him to snap some photo's for you with different types of gold.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I would ask David to snap the stone next to several different alloys, if he has them in hand. As of now, I don't see any of the current options working except perhaps unplated brushed white gold.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results