carat
color
clarity

help looking for a vintage split shank setting for sapphire

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I've just been asked to help a friend find their engagement ring setting. So I'm looking for an antique feeling (could be second hand, could be a repro) split shank, prong setting with diamonds to house a medium blue emerald cut sapphire around the 7x5mm mark (not picked yet but I've got some good options that I'm looking into from vendors I've worked with before). Its all about the setting for my friend anyway, She points out lots of things she likes about settings but didn't really notice the centre stone. I showed her a ton of different colored blue sapphires in different shapes and sizes and didn't really have much of a preference beyond medium sized, medium blue and emerald cut.

My personal taste is is usually very modern and plain so please help me find a great setting for my friend or at least steer me towards some places that would have something I like, as I have no idea where to start.

My plan is to hunt down some options then get input from my friend to help narrow the search. A complete vintage ring would be fine as would me running round pulling all the pieces together from seperate places.

Thanks in advance
:confused:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Re: help looking for a vintage split shank setting for sapph

For some inspriation I would check out the following sites:

Jewels By Erica Grace
Single Stone
New York Estate Jewelers
Lang Jewelers
The Three Graces

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thanks Sarahbear. I've been thru all of those and whilst they have some great rings I've not found what I'm after.

I'm hunting for the perfect setting....please me fellow PSers....

I'm looking for something that looks like this from the top, with diamond covered split shanks

but that is antique looking with engraving/detailing to the sides.

I can only seem to find modern looking split shanks. Also not that many settings that will accommodate an square shaped stone.

Help please!

Untitled-1.jpg

Attachments

• SS bluesaph.bmp
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,302

yanaazul

Shiny_Rock

Having just been pointed at Green Lake Jewelry in my own search, I bet you could find something there. Like this:

http://greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/gallery.aspx?ImgID=58215

Notice that it's listed as "custom portfolio design," so they would start with that ring as the inspiration, and your friend could tweak to her heart's content. For example, that she wants an emerald cut instead of a square, or if she wants the split shanks to be narrower, different filigree in the basket... And look at all the different engraving and detailing motifs they have in their "antique" category!

http://greenlakejewelry.com/gallery/listview_gallery.aspx?fil1=All&fil2=MTG&fil3=A

(The ring I posted is first page, third row, third from left.)

Good luck!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I'm liking that setting PC, do you think it would hold an emerald/asscher cut? x

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

I would just ask jbEG about what shape/size stone would fit.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Done, awaiting JBEG response.

In the mean time do any of the ebay/etsy sellers make good antique looking replicas in case this wont fit an emerald cut?

x

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It seems that the JBEG setting might not fit a 7x5 mm rectangular stone because it is for a 6.5 mm round stone. I drew it out and guestimated that the 7 mm length might be squeezed in but the 5 mm width is going to leave quite a bit of metal showing underneath.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thanks Chrono, If I went for a asscher, would I have a better chance of getting it in? How big do you think I could go?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

A square emerald cut (or asscher-like cut) will definitely fit. You'll have to measure from corner to corner to get it to fit the 6.5 mm setting. I expect the sapphire to be approximately 1.5 carats thereabouts depending on the depth, maybe even 2 carats because that type of cut is typically deeper than other designs. On the downside, I haven't seen many asscher-like sapphires other than those that were custom cut.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Now I come to think of it I haven't seen many asscher cut sapphires either.

Has anyone else seen as square-ish mid blue sapphires? I still haven't heard back from JBEG but I'm guessing that just because it's holiday season. But providing we can come to a suitable agreement I'll be looking for the sapphire to fill it pretty quickly.

After looking around its not essential to get a step cut, being a square shape, eg not round/oval etc is more important.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

It shouldn't be horribly difficult to find a square cushion blue sapphire, compared to a step cut.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I should mention (thanks to the advice of Chrono) that it needs to fit in the 6.5mm round setting. So I'm guessing that will be around 6mm corner to corner.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

I have that setting and I paid under $400 for it. The prices may have gone up now but if you are interested .. I can pass on the email of the seller I got it from. She used to have an eBay shop but she closed it down. Fortekitty also purchased the same setting from the seller.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock

Charmypoo, do you mean the jbEG setting? I would be very interested in the sellers name because I am looking for a vintage style setting myself.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

CharmyPoo > yes please! I'd love to know where you got a similar setting.

greta2603

Rough_Rock

CharmyPoo said:
I have that setting and I paid under $400 for it. The prices may have gone up now but if you are interested .. I can pass on the email of the seller I got it from. She used to have an eBay shop but she closed it down. Fortekitty also purchased the same setting from the seller.

I'd definitely be interested to know that vendor's details as that's a STUNNING setting and right up my street!

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

So JBEG got back to me and the setting will take a 5mm x 6.5-6.7mm centre stone max. This won't fit the sapphire I had planed on so I'm currently searching for one that will. I want the biggest stone that will fit and that's not a normal size so I don't know how lucky I'll be....

Any suggestions for centre stone?
Medium to dark blue (heated/lab created=fine)
Rectangular stone.

I'm also keeping my eyes open for other vintage looking split shanks that will take a larger centre stone.

Thanks guys.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I love Jeff White's cutting in general and he has cut a huge number of sapphires. I think his cushions and asschers are just about the nicest around, so maybe you can contact him with your specs and see if there is a chance he could cut something for you?

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I found this second hand, what do you guys think? its 1,500 USD, a size bigger than I need in 18kt white gold.

The seller says it'll take anything from 1ct-2ct diamond centre (based on a round diamond) which gives me a lot more flexibility when it comes to finding a centre sapphire.

side.JPG

top.JPG

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

MB- I'll go the custom route for the centre stone as a last options. I am not very good at visualizing the finished stone nor do I want the extra wait time or expense associated with custom cutting. But if I go that way Jeff would be at the top of the list. :)

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Happy New Year everyone.

Thanks for helping me with this- its really appreciated.

I've been disusing these settings with my friend and shes really stuck on the JBEG setting but also wants a larger centre stone. I'm gonna start a new thread to ask for help finding this same setting elsewhere.

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pls-help-me-find-this-setting-for-sapphire-desperate.170132/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/pls-help-me-find-this-setting-for-sapphire-desperate.170132/[/URL]

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

Sorry for the delay - I forgot about this thread. I asked and the pricing has gone up to $600 but it makes sense given I got my settings a few years ago. She is a private seller so it will be email that I don't feel comfortable posting on here. Perhaps I will put something up for sale and you can find me through the pre-loved forum.

Charmy-MalayaGarnet-Barry18KFish-SIDE.jpg

Charmy-MalayaGarnet-Barry18KFish.jpg

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Yes please put up a listing on DB then I will email you for the name. Thanks Charmypoo.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

done :)

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock

chel180|1325929095|3097169 said:
Charmy Poo you are a star!

I've email your contact so we'll where we go fro there.

For my reference can you tell me what size fingers you have and what the dimensions are on the centre stone in your ring? That'll help me work out how big I wanna go with the centre stone.

Thanks again :D

My finger is a bit less than a size 3 (around 2 5/8). That stone is 7 mm. Hope it helps!

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock

elliemay

Shiny_Rock

I've just bought a nearly 7mm OEC and would love to put it in that setting. Charmypoo or chel180, would you mind sharing the seller's details (or at least give me some clues on how I can find them)? :))

rosetta

Ideal_Rock

Can I jump on the bandwagon and ask about the setting too charmypoo? Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results