shape
carat
color
clarity

Help identifying possible raw gem

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

tdmiller

Rough_Rock
Recieved a large rock from neighbor in Texas. Unsure of where he found it. Deep purple color with large white opaque clusters scattered about its top. There are also small crustations which are white in color and sparkle. The largest portions of the rock as a whole ''''jut'''' out into rectangular shapes. When holding a flashlight to its surface, the light shines through the edges of the stone in a deep purple glow. The light also hightlights lines that form very geometric shapes, trangular and square/rectangle. The overall estimated measurements are 4.25 x 3.25 x 2.50" and it weighs approximately 2 lbs. I am curious if it is a large raw amythest because of its purple color. Attached are a few photos to help with the description. Any help identifying what I have, or a referral to someone who could would be greatly appreciated. I am certainly interested in having it viewed by a professional. I reside in Southern California, and any information on where to take it is appreciated as well. Pictures to come.

Thank you.

cfjeldheim

Rough_Rock
try taking it to a unaversity and see if they can do it. i live in NV and i find all sorts of spiders that i have no idea what they are. i acuatly had the school buy one from ne it was so rare

just a thought

Colored Gemstone Nut

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Hi TdMiller,

35.gif

What you are describing sounds like a amethyst/purple quartz geode. In describing Geode I am referring to a hollow rock or nodule with a cavity usually lined with crystals.

The size of the crystals, including their form and shade of color vary , making each geode unique. Some are moderate purple to grayish reddish purple and others have rich purple amethyst crystals.

If you can post a pic, we’ll try and help you out more.
36.gif

tdmiller

Rough_Rock
Not a great shot, but you can see some of the lines inside that the light highlights.

tdmiller1.jpg

tdmiller

Rough_Rock
These are the white crustations and ''mini-rocks'' on one side of it. They do not surround it, they are only on one side.

tdmiller3.jpg

tdmiller

Rough_Rock
The back side of it. By the way, sorry these photos are so large. I shrunk the file size... but who knows.

tdmiller4.jpg

tdmiller

Rough_Rock
Another view. This is one of the rectangular blocks that ''juts'' out from it.

tdmiller5.jpg

tdmiller

Rough_Rock
A better one of the lines/divisions in side. Sorry about the picture overkill... just trying to get a good shot that displays it well enough for someone to identify it. It is definitely the most unique thing I have. Thanks for all the help!

tdmiller8.jpg

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
It looks like you have a very nice specimen of purple fluorite. The images aren''t clear enough for me to take a guess at the associated white mineral. Fluorite occurs in a wide range of colors. It''s sometimes faceted and carved but is only Mohs 4 in hardness so it''s not really suitable for jewelry use. It has planes of perfect cleavage which make working it very difficult: it can split with very slight shocks. Sometimes it is cleaved into perfect octahedrons for unique specimens. There are large deposits of fluorite in the American midwest that are worked as an economic mineral yielding fluorine.

Your image 5th from the top shows two intergrown cubic crystals with the corners of one cube projecting from the face of another. It''s a very attractive specimen.

Richard M.

tdmiller

Rough_Rock
Richard,

Thanks for the information. I went searching on some websites to find photos of fluorite. Many of them have the same blocked shapes, but aren''t as dark purple. I also see that it can vary in color though. Is this something in your opinion I should have looked at further? Is there a chance it is of value, or am I better off keeping it as the ''cool rock on the mantel'' it currently is?

In looking at some mineral websites, I found a photo that looks very much like the white clusters attached to one side of it. It was calcite. Is this something that can occur with flurorite?

Thanks for the reply!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Calcite is frequently associated with fluorite and that would be my first guess without inspecting it in person. As for economic value, I''m a gem guy and not an expert on valuing mineral specimens. While both deal with minerals, they''re entirely separate specialties.

Information about mineral sources as well as their perfection (lack of damage), crystal habit, associated minerals, size, etc. is usually vital to evaluating them. Some are very abundant, others are rare, and that''s the basis for valuation. I''d advise you to seek information from mineral collectors in your own area. Universities and museums can often steer you in the right direction. One mineral expert is John Betts whose fluorite offerings are here: Fluorite Note the wide variation in prices. Spanish specimens seem to be in demand.

Richard M.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results