shape
carat
color
clarity

Help finding complimentary ring for heirloom band

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This heirloom is extremely precious and sentimental and was recently given to me. Despite being out of the habit of wearing jewelry I want to enjoy this ring daily for the love and great energy of it's previous owner. She usually wore it with a variety of colored stone rings (mostly oval, one round three-stone).

At lunchtime I tried pairing it with an oval blue sapphire ring and it loved the look. I'm hoping the Pricescope community can help me find a beautiful complimentary ring to help me enjoy my family treasure.

I'm very flexible but have listed some preferences in order of priority:

- Oval center stone (prefer less than 10mm tall)
- Prong setting with the stone partially covering the heirloom (I don't mind the gap)
- 18K yellow gold (or two-tone)
- Diamond side stones (two or more, not an eternity)
- Blue sapphire (or other colored stone, diamond, colored diamond etc - no coral or pearls)
- Flat band (domed/thicker bands stuck out at the side were not complimentary)
- Vintage (around 60 years old would be awesome)
- Modest (in the style of the ring's original owner)

Also,
- Open to two or more rings, stacker combinations or other recommendation
- Flexible budget (let's say $5,800, I care about value but I'd go way above if I'm being really honest and found something I loved)

Thanks in advance and I promise to post photos of any rings I buy from your awesome recommendations.

20140624_090933.jpg

20140624_091554.jpg

20140624_091612.jpg

Wyntery

Shiny_Rock
I think you'll get more response to this in the colored stones forum than here. There are some real experts over there who can help you find the perfect stone and the perfect setting. You have an excellent budget, they'll help you put something together.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the suggestion Tyty. I'm just not fond of a halo style with the band, though the ones you listed are really pretty. The attached is my favorite, though it's nothing like I thought I wanted.

roval_langs.jpg

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
Oh I love this blue stone ring. I think it will complement your diamond band nicely. Are you planning to wear it as a wedding set?

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I can see why you love that band. It's elegant & classic but modern at the same time. Very pretty.

A few ideas from 1st Dibs:

You said you might go a lot higher if you love something -- well, this is a LOT higher but such a nice ring, I couldn't help putting it up here.
It has a GIA report rating emerald treatment F1 -- minor clarity enhancement. Probably oiled, which is acceptable in an emerald. Price, gulp, 12, 499 http://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/ring...ald-diamond-gold-engagement-ring/id-j_195512/

Hand shot:

This one isn't probably something you'd considered, but again, it's a stunning ring. Circa 1890. Nice star ruby. $7500.
http://www.1stdibs.com/jewelry/ring...n-natural-star-ruby-diamond-ring/id-j_186086/

So far, the vintage sapphire rings I saw within your budget range were overpriced, considering the quality of sapphire they contained.

12_499.jpeg

f1.jpeg

org_sue287_l.jpeg

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the suggestion, the green emerald from 1st dibs is pretty but not my style (I used to have a great 3-stone EC diamond ring that I loved for a RHR). I think the band is too thick as well, a flat band is a better match. Sorry not feeling the ruby halo but it's a pretty shape and color.

I am planning on wearing this on my middle finger as a 'set' but not a wedding set. I don't want to resize the ring since it fits on both middle fingers and imo looks best there. I just want to get a friend for it.

If I stretch my budget it would only be for something I really loved. I'm fussy and difficult - that's why I love pricescope! Great suggestions though, I like the creativity. Appreciate more recommendations!

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cool ring Neil! I didn't think I'd care for the style as much as I do. It's really pretty, a little rough on the budget and bigger than my ideal size but a contender. The color looks gorgeous in the photos, I didn't realize Tanzanite came in blue.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
- Oval center stone (prefer less than 10 mm tall)
How small can the stone be? This might hold some promise (unheated 8 x 6 mm 2.04 ct blue sapphire) for $3200:
http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

You'd have to build your own ring though - have the vendor source the diamond sides for you if you go with the usual RT/PS vendors.

- Blue sapphire (or other colored stone, diamond, colored diamond etc - no coral or pearls)
Everyday wear or occasional wear?

Does it have to be vintage too? If so, then scrap my response above. :lol:

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Chrono said:
- Oval center stone (prefer less than 10 mm tall)
How small can the stone be? This might hold some promise (unheated 8 x 6 mm 2.04 ct blue sapphire) for $3200:
http://www.finewatergems.com/sapphire.html

You'd have to build your own ring though - have the vendor source the diamond sides for you if you go with the usual RT/PS vendors.

Everyday wear or occasional wear?

Does it have to be vintage too? If so, then scrap my response above. :lol:

Hi Chrono,

Really love your find for size and shape! Smaller is my preference to be honest though I think I like a more traditional, darker blue and wonder with my limited knowledge/appreciation whether I'd be overpaying for unheated?

The ring doesn't hav to be vintage - that was down the list and a preference not priority. I have a hard time visualizing a ring that's not yet made and would probably not enjoy the custom route. My EC 3stone project was somewhat trying thoguh the result was worth it.

I have looked at a few mountings for ovals and haven't seen many in 18K yellow with a flat band. Maybe I would need custom with my specific preferences? If so I might check out My diamond zone since they're in Chicago and super nice.

Any more suggestions?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, the 18K YG flat band will definitely add to the challenge in a finished piece. If heated/unheated doesn't matter, what about diffusion? Most ready made pieces do not have quality centre sapphires, the same way most ready made diamond rings do not use well cut centre diamond stones.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not a problem stacking a 14K YG ring and I like that the basket is high enough to sit above your current band without too much rubbing or gap. It's a lovely setting.

I clicked on the link anyway because I wanted to check out the colour of the sapphire and the workmanship & design of the ring. :))

quaddio

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The more I look at these together I'm not sure the 'Arts and Craft' style will compliment the new channel-set band. I like the shape of the stone and the color is acceptable. Any other PS thoughts?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results