shape
carat
color
clarity

Help building sapphire ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

alikat

Rough_Rock
I'm pretty clueless about rings, but I know I want a sapphire ring for my engagement ring. I'm doing preliminary research so I can tell my boyfriend exactly what I want.

Anyway, I love the Vatche x-prong setting, my question is would it work with a sapphire?
803-b.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
No reason why not. I think it would be very pretty!!!
1.gif
Welcome to PS BTW
35.gif

alikat

Rough_Rock
Thanks! This forum is really amazing.

Any suggestions on where I could find a round sapphire around 1-1.5 carats? I''m thinking of getting a dark blue one, but I''m open to other colors as well.

One more question - the ring has settings at 1.0 and 1.5 carats, would I need the sapphire to be that exact size?

dimonbob

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The Vatche'' X-prong which you have pictured is a very nice ring and your sapphire will look great in it.

Something you need to know. The ring comes in the 1ct size that will take anything from a 0.90ct to a 1.40ct round diamond. The 1.50 will take anything from a 1.40ct to 1.7ct round diamond.

A one carat diamond is not the same size as a one carat sapphire. The sapphire is heavier and therefore smaller. If you get a 1.50ct sapphire it will probably fit into a 1ct Vatche'' X-prong.
Sapphires are usually cut deeper than diamonds which also makes them appear smaller from the top. Of course it could also be a shallow cut.

Get your sapphire first and tell whoever is getting your ring the mm diameter of your stone. They will order the correct ring for you.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Hi, Alikat! Welcome!

I think a sapphire in that mounting would be lovely...what fun!

You probably should spend some time ''window shopping'' both online and in jewelry stores to figure out what color/tone sapphire you like best. Also, you''ll want to decide whether or not heat treatment is OK with you. You''ll probably discover that round sapphs are scarcer than ovals and cushions, etc...but they''re out there...

Prices can be all over the map, so it''s important that you work with a trustworthy dealer to ensure you get a fair value..

www.palagems.com has some great reading/educational material about sapphires which might be very useful before you start your search..

HTH,
widget

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
that concave cut from richard homer that Mine posted would be spectacular in that setting!

peace, movie zombie

Edward Bristol

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Sure!

This will be wonderfull with a blue sapphire.

But: Lighter than ''medium dark'' will be too thin looking in this setting.

The biggest hurdle will probably be to get a fitting round stone (the ''natural'' shape of sapphire is lengthy). Also you will not want a bellied stone in this setting.

However, you might consider buying a (''native'' cut) oval stone and have it re-cut. That will increase your choices and thus might be good for your budget, even if you have to buy 2 or 2.5 carat and cut it down to 1.5.

Edward Bristol
www.wildfishgems.com

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/19/2005 5:42:49 AM
Author: Edward Bristol

The biggest hurdle will probably be to get a fitting round stone

'Alikat', do you want a round stone? The Vatche settings are made for different shapes too - versions for squares are readily available, but have seen ovals and marquises set in some. I do not know if these are considered custom order or not by the maker.

alikat

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for the very informative replies! It will probably be a few months at least before I get this ring - it all depends on when my bf wants to pop the question
2.gif
but I feel much more prepared now.

I''m not stuck on a round sapphire, though I prefer the round look.

Would you suggest finding the stone first then choosing the setting? Thanks!

larussel03

Brilliant_Rock
It would most definately work! I have a 1 ct blue topaz set in a setting just like that and it gets TONS of compliments (and occasionally the confused friend asking "did you get engaged" haha)

ETA: also try www.simplysapphires.com , they have some great rounds

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Irina,
Your photo shop skills are getting mighty good. That is just stunning!!! Love that beautiful blue color, yummm.
30.gif
30.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2005 11:05:31 PM
Author: kaleigh
Irina,
Your photo shop skills are getting mighty good. That is just stunning!!! Love that beautiful blue color, yummm.
30.gif
30.gif
no kidding!! I love that blue... and want that ring!
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results