shape
carat
color
clarity

Heating gold?!

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Pandora/LovingDiamonds oven experiment caused some gears to turn in my head.
Was that 14k YG at 200 degrees you used? Not to endorse nuking jewelry... but I'm intrigued...

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well Pandora heated a loose stone but mine was set in 18k yellow gold (not 14k). It was a buttery colour before but now has a hint of rose gold about it - which I hate!!! I've cleaned it and it's looking a bit better now though. Pandora gave the melting point for gold in one of her posts and I remember thinking that wasn't a problem because my oven at home would never achieve those temperatures!

I would assume that the melting point for gold would be the same (or very close) for 9k, 14, 18k and above.

m76steve

Brilliant_Rock
anytime u heat any precious metal no matter how low or high the temp-u r tempting fate-iv seen my jeweler work with gold-yel, rose, almost any color & was told to get the finished look he is after is not all that easy-some of the metal below the surface or part of the surface itself gets its finished appearence not by chance but by design-there is meaning in the maddness & years of experience knowing what the metal will finish & how to maintain that wanted look-definitely an artist-also any damage done to gold is usually repairable to the original even to reingraving on an item-steve...

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
Ah, understood. Thank you both for your answers.
I thought it was 14k looking more like 18k, rather than 18k going copper heh.

Yes, Steve, you're right. At any rate, I couldn't find any info otherwise, and you're all a great resource for much information. :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results