shape
carat
color
clarity

Heartbroken...tsavorite dilemma

Melvis

Rough_Rock
So I've decided on a ring at a store I fell in love with (the Neil lane Marquis) and started talks with them about changing out some of the side stones to Tsavorites. They've mentioned that the smallest they can get Tsav is 1.5 and the rounds on this ring are 1.25. The sales lady said that they would not be able to set the tsav at that size (1.25 i presume), b/c they become to soft to work with. I wanted tsav instead of emerald b/c of their hardiness to stand up to daily wear.

And now Im forced with either abandoning my idea of green stones on the sides (which was my way of making the ring 'my own'), or going custom. I know jewelry stores are not known as the greatest places to buy, but I did like the fact that no matter where I move in the nation, they would be easily accessible and lifetime warranties (I understand the contract about having to take it in every so many # of months to be checked) What I dont like about custom is that they only provide a ONE year warranty... what am I suppose to do 5,10 years down the road and need work done? Or loose a stone....? Not to mention the extra cost of having to go custom....

I've attached the two pics of the ring and the tsavorite ring I wanted to 'marry' into one ring..neil_lane_and_kirk_kara.jpg

Melvis

Rough_Rock
Just for the record, the left picture (neil lane) down the side is a 1-2-1 round setting. the 2 rounds are in a marquis cut out. and that is where I wanted two Tsavs to go.. but too small.. I also tried to see if they could set Tsav marquis in there and they said they could not do it w/o cutting out some of the ring and then it would possibly not look right...

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Melvis|1383690235|3551128 said:
And now Im forced with either abandoning my idea of green stones on the sides (which was my way of making the ring 'my own'), or going custom. I know jewelry stores are not known as the greatest places to buy, but I did like the fact that no matter where I move in the nation, they would be easily accessible and lifetime warranties (I understand the contract about having to take it in every so many # of months to be checked) What I dont like about custom is that they only provide a ONE year warranty... what am I suppose to do 5,10 years down the road and need work done? Or loose a stone....? Not to mention the extra cost of having to go custom....

I've attached the two pics of the ring and the tsavorite ring I wanted to 'marry' into one ring..
You pay to get it fixed? If a ring is well-made you shouldn't have to worry about it all that much. Buy some extra tsavs when the ring is made, just in case you lose some, and make sure and get prongs checked regularly. Maintaining jewelry for those kinds of repairs is not THAT expensive, provided that they aren't happening regularly. Plus most jewelers will tighten prongs for free.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't speak to this store, but many of my friends with store rings have had side stones fall out. I've never lost melees on my custom pieces. One time I heard a little rattle like a stone might be loose and the supplier fixed it at no charge even though it was more than a year later. Look at the quality of the piece in addition to the warranty.

Melvis

Rough_Rock
Im curious to know if anyone has ever heard of the issue with the smaller 1.25 being to 'soft' to work with.. especially in tsav..
would there be any other green stone I could use of similar hardness that would give as much sparkle... lab created emeralds, green saphires?? (i know we're talking 1.25 size but still I want it to have that green effect and not a green/blackish look for being too dark or too light that it's mint).
I've noticed that they offer colored diamonds and have green 'artistry' diamonds (yes I know they are color treated but would still give the green Im looking for and since they would be diamonds, pretty sure they would work as 1.25 size).

if i do go custom, would I be able to take it to any jeweler to have them fix the issue and is there any idea of what that cost could be? ie: reset any of the small stones or heaven forbid.. my center stone have issue..?

Just trying to make sure I know where and what Im spending my or rather my FF $ on.. I know stores are not what most pser's prefer and that most will scream custom... but not everyone has a budget to be able to pay upfront for such a large $ purchase.

Michael_E

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Melvis|1383700350|3551279 said:
Im curious to know if anyone has ever heard of the issue with the smaller 1.25 being to 'soft' to work with.. especially in tsav..
Small stones are easier to break for heavy handed jewelers. For those with experience, setting small garnets of any type are quite easy. There is no difference in hardness in any stone that can be attributed to the size of the stone. Often small stones are more durable because they have fewer durability robbing inclusions. My view on your jewelers reason for not doing this is that they just don't want to do it. FYI, Stuller sells small round tsavorites down to 1mm...not much color at that size, but still distinctly green.

would there be any other green stone I could use of similar hardness that would give as much sparkle... lab created emeralds, green saphires?? (i know we're talking 1.25 size but still I want it to have that green effect and not a green/blackish look for being too dark or too light that it's mint).
Tsavorite is really your best bet for a good green color in a natural gem. Green diamonds are irradiated/HTHP treated and tend towards olive/yellowish tones. The teal ones are nice, but not really green.

if i do go custom, would I be able to take it to any jeweler to have them fix the issue and is there any idea of what that cost could be? ie: reset any of the small stones or heaven forbid.. my center stone have issue..?

Just trying to make sure I know where and what Im spending my or rather my FF $ on.. I know stores are not what most pser's prefer and that most will scream custom... but not everyone has a budget to be able to pay upfront for such a large $ purchase.

Going custom means that you get exactly what you want right out of the box...no "fixing" required. If you mean buying this setting from the retailer and then putting green stones in where you want them, then yes, any competent bench jeweler can do that. You'd be better off just having this piece made to your specs, though it really does depend on the price that the retailer wants for theirs. Believe it or not, sometimes getting a custom made piece can be less expensive than getting a commercial piece, (some retailers have very high margins to cover their very spendy locations).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Michael_E|1383712360|3551398 said:
Going custom means that you get exactly what you want right out of the box...no "fixing" required. If you mean buying this setting from the retailer and then putting green stones in where you want them, then yes, any competent bench jeweler can do that. You'd be better off just having this piece made to your specs, though it really does depend on the price that the retailer wants for theirs. Believe it or not, sometimes getting a custom made piece can be less expensive than getting a commercial piece, (some retailers have very high margins to cover their very spendy locations).
I was going to start bolding parts that I agreed with, but basically Michael's whole post is spot on.

You haven't really told us what you want. It looks like some pretty intricate metalwork with lots of small stones and a large center stone. If you tell us exactly what you want, we could probably give you a good idea of where to go to get what you want. Even within your budget.

Honestly, stuff you buy from a "store" is going to be mass produced, and likely not very good quality. (What store are you talking about anyway? A chain store I'd guess? A chain means nothing as far as quality. You could have an experienced bench working on your ring, or someone who has just started. If you do a search for common chain stores on Pricescope, you're going to hear a LOT of bad things. A guarantee means very little to them. I'm talking Kay's, etc.)

I'm a big advocate for getting exactly what you want, especially for your engagement ring. From what it sounds like, you need to go custom, and speaking as someone who has had MANY custom items made, and on a college student's budget at that, it's not as expensive as you seem to think it is, depending on what you want.

Imagine this hypothetical scenario: You get the chain to alter the ring you like and add tsavorites, spending $2,000. Five years from receiving your ring, 4 tsavorites and 5 diamonds have fallen out and been replaced after your year warranty is up. All were replaced at your cost, adding up to about $900 with labor and replacement of stones. You're fed up having spent that much extra money and decide to sell your ring and go to a solitaire. Or you could keep your ring and just never wear it. Either way, you've spent close to $3000 total you could have used to get exactly what you wanted custom made to your specifications by a company that would stand by their work.

So:
What is your budget?
What kind of ring do you want?

Instead of the "woe is me" bit, just come out and ask us for help.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
http://www.kay.com/en/kaystore/diam...ut-14k-white-gold/100020/100020.100023.100051

The Kay Neil Lane rings you're looking at is going to cost you $3,700+ tax + extra for alterations. For that you're getting 7/8ctw of diamonds set in 14kt. "Diamond Total Carat Weight may range from .83 - .94 carats."

I did a marquis search on Whiteflash for diamonds under .50cts. For a diamond between .35-.50ct, it's going to cost under $1,500 for a diamond that's larger, better quality and prettier than whatever Kay's gives you - even though all of them are virtual selection diamonds! Please note that in Kay's description, there are no color, clarity, carat weight, or cut guides given to you about the center diamond, OR the accent diamonds.

Recently I asked Daniel M for a quote on a ring that was moderately detailed with a fair number of melee diamonds (24) added in 14kt rose gold. Their ballpark for it was going to be under $2k.

So...

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
If you want to buy from a chain store for the warranty, then modify the ring, they probably would not fix it later since it's been changed & worked on by another jeweler. That's likely to void any guarantee they have.

You might be over-thinking this. If you buy a good-quality setting, it is unlikely to need repair in 5 or 10 yrs unless you're hard on your rings or wear them gardening, house-cleaning, etc. Most fixes aren't expensive anyway. Your desire for value for money is super -- many brides-to-be don't even think about it, but there's no way to predict 10 yrs down the line. Stores also go out of business or are bought by new owners who change policies, etc.

Unless I missed it, you don't mention a budget. You could go custom or take a look at the Stuller catalog, which might mean compromising on the design somewhat. Either way, it's possible to find something you like for a reasonable price that will take daily wear well -- millions of women have! :razz: Nobody's insisting you do a custom ring -- from the aggregate experience here, though, merely advising you might be disappointed in the quality from a mall chain store, & finding a skilled & willing jeweler for modifications could be tough. Good luck & congratulations!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The above posters are correct. It is the quality that counts and good custom work isn't necessarily expensive. There are ways to bring costs down and yet get a quality product for less than a mass produced ring. As mentioned, it isn't difficult to source 1 mm tsavorite melees and have them set. A well made setting will not have issues (stones falling out, etc).

Melvis

Rough_Rock
All good points.... I hope this posts can help clarify some concerns:

Back in January when I first seriously started looking and considering chain store vs custom. I did in fact contact a few custom places.. Wink, Brian, and whiteflash. All of their estimates on the casting ALONE was right at 2400-3000 due to the intricacies and based on metal prices at that time. Not to include CAD or any stones. Lets say all stones = 2000 (center and side melee and tsavs) The problem with this is most custom..ok all that I’ve contacted want full payment upfront. Totally understand and agree but its not financially feasible for us to do. Thus the main reason why we are kinda stuck with going to a chain store for financing purposes.

If you know of a custom jeweler that would take payments pre-purchase and that as long as I had the ring at the time of my actual wedding (August 2014)... Im completely OK with that…I don’t need it for the actual engagement…I sorda already have a ring that’s going to be the proposal/engagement ring (my gma died in a tragic car accident 8 months ago in March and my gpa gave her ring to my boyfriend to use for the proposal). Which is why we are taking our time wanting to make sure the WEDDING ring is just right.

Having done a bit more research last night… Im not so much worried about the warranty or if I void it.. I’m better off having my homeowners insurance take out an additional coverage policy for total replacement value of the ring. That way no matter which way I go Im covered fully.

AS for the store.. Im using Marks and Morgan, still a Sterling owned company.. They quoted me the best I could find for a chain store for a ½ carat certified with the sale they are about to have right at $1,000 (originally $1700ish) and then a $300 credit towards the setting (I think that’s what he said). The ring was right at $3,000 with an UNCERT center stone.
Primary Diamond Color HI
Primary Diamond Clarity SI2-I1

They are wiling to replace the uncert with a cert stone and adjust the cost of the uncertified stone out of the ring (appx $1200-1500) and then add the Cert stone in and can even be less with a certified stone than an uncertified. If I wanted, they’d even let me bring in my own stone (would not be covered by warranty) yet would still be covered by my homeowners policy ;-) so Im at no loss if I decided to buy a cert stone from wink or brian ect..

JAREDS (another Sterling company) has the ring w/o center stone for $2100. They expect you to pick one of their certified diamonds at ½ carat starting at $2000.. I think NOT.

As far as the melee diamonds on the Neil Lane marquis.. here’s the details on them:
Diamond Sidestone Cuts 71 ROUNDS
Diamond Sidestone Minimum Color HI
Diamond Sidestone Minimum Clarity SI2-I1

What I want is the neil lane marquis setting with round melee single diamond and then a marquis tsavorite (or two rounds set in the marquis shape) and a single diamond melee stone. Is that too much to ask for?? Lol.

I apologize for lumping everyone in saying custom is the way to go.. it just seems that from the months of lurking on here and researching, no one has anything good to say about chain stores. Sometimes it’s just not avoidable. And for those wondering about budget.. we’ve not set a real hard line on the budget but have been trying to keep it right at $3-4,000 (with the ability to finance…)

Melvis

Rough_Rock
Correction.. Sterling is owned by Signet jewelers..

I also contacted a jeweler last night that provides custom jewelry to most of the Nashville stars and he advised that while it is possible to have melees break or what not, that an experienced jeweler will know how to not put too much pressure on the prongs (like what was mentioned here about being heavy handed).

im surprised the jeweler says they cant do it. it can be done, they just are afraid they will have to buy them if they break them. So Im just curious to know if the jeweler they have is not as experienced.. OR is just making excuses to not do the work.. Which if thats the case.. i'd be happy to let the James Grant, VP of Signet know that one of his jewelers is refusing business...

also my apology for the "woe is me posting" I had just found out and my heart was sunk about the news... I am a girl.. lol and my heart has been set on this design for months now.. lol.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are some options:

Well, what if you guys buy a nice marquis now, set it in a solitaire, and build the custom setting later when funds are more plentiful?

Daniel M asks for half up front, the other half when they are done and ship the item out. They might be amenable to taking payments, that's something you'd have to ask them. You wouldn't be able to get the ring until it's paid for in full, of course.

So. This is what I would do if I were you and had to have the ring before the wedding.

Buy a diamond separately, maybe this one or something similar, but one that someone can physically look at instead of being drop shipped: http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut-loose-diamond-3020444.htm

Ask Daniel M https://www.etsy.com/shop/danielmjewelry?ref=pr_shop_more and Michael E http://www.gemshoppe.com/ for quotes for exactly what you want, something close to the Neil Lane ring, but with tsavorites. Its kind of hard to see the detail with those kinds of pictures, but I bet you they could get close. I'd make sure that they only did the diamonds/design halfway around the shank, so you wouldn't be paying for something you wouldn't see. I would explain that you'd like to do a payment plan, and ask if they would be willing to consider it.

I'm pretty sure that Daniel M and Michael could source the center stone for you too.

One thing you need to be careful about with marquise cut diamonds is that it doesn't have a bowtie. This isn't something that you can tell by numbers, so that's why it's important to have someone look at it in hand.

Note: The diamond on the Neil Lane ring is likely about .30ct or so. This way would get you a bigger diamond. If you wanted a cheaper diamond and didn't care about the size, it'd allow for more room for the setting within your decided budget.

Two other options for finances:
1. Save save save. Set aside an amount monthly so you can pay in full before your wedding date.
2. Get a credit card that allows you to pay 0% interest for the first year or 18 months, and use that to purchase the ring with an independent jeweler, instead of attempting the financing with the jewelry store.

This CAN absolutely be done.

Also, JewelFreak is right on - if any other jeweler does work on a ring from a chain store, it voids all guarantees and warranties. Something to keep in mind!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm sorry this isn't coming together for you as easily as you would wish, Melvis. Hope you don't mind if I too try to nudge you away from the Neil Lane setting. In surfing the 'net, I see that in May, someone on eBay sold the 2-piece set (engagement ring + chevron wedding band) they'd purchased from a Kay jewelry store:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121085928162

The listing is old enough that this is the only pic I could retrieve. Granted, this photo may have been the worst of those posted & I realize you'd have flexibility re the center stone, but what's depicted is a poor value imo. So I'm hoping that after the initial disappointment dulls, you'll consider the options FrekeChild has laid out so nicely for you.

neil_lane_set_on_ebay.jpg

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MollyMalone|1383787314|3551916 said:
I'm sorry this isn't coming together for you as easily as you would wish, Melvis. Hope you don't mind if I too try to nudge you away from the Neil Lane setting. In surfing the 'net, I see that in May, someone on eBay sold the 2-piece set (engagement ring + chevron wedding band) they'd purchased from a Kay jewelry store:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=121085928162

The listing is old enough that this is the only pic I could retrieve. Granted, this photo may have been the worst of those posted & I realize you'd have flexibility re the center stone, but what's depicted is a poor value imo. So I'm hoping that after the initial disappointment dulls, you'll consider the options FrekeChild has laid out so nicely for you.

Hopefully, that is a bad picture, because the center marquise looks like frozen spit, 'fraid to say.

Melvis

Rough_Rock
Thanks.. yes that is a horrible center stone.. and most likely just the stone that it came with. under those bright sparkely lights at the store Im sure it looked a lot better but that stone is way yellow.. just a good example of a bad center stone that NL places in his pieces. Thus the reason why I would trade it out for a certified stone. I just havent found anything else that gives this kind of vintage feel. If my gma's ring wasnt yellow gold, I'd stick with it and get a small channel set or something similar infinity ring as the wedding band. maybe even change out the side diamonds on it for some Tsavs.... it's hard to let go of an idea you've built up as your dream ring...

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would check out James Allen for the marquise. Whiteflash's "outside" diamond policy isn't as consumer friendly as it used to be. JA will also do 3 ASETs for free so you'll know which stone is a good performer. I would ask for such help in Rocky Talky. I would skip the store setting altogether too. The accent and melee diamonds are likely to be frozen spit quality as well with an estimated SI2 to I1 clarity stated. Daniel M is a good bench to try. Does IDJ do such custom work?

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
FrekeChild|1383785280|3551898 said:
Ask Daniel M https://www.etsy.com/shop/danielmjewelry?ref=pr_shop_more and Michael E http://www.gemshoppe.com/ for quotes for exactly what you want, something close to the Neil Lane ring, but with tsavorites. Its kind of hard to see the detail with those kinds of pictures, but I bet you they could get close. I'd make sure that they only did the diamonds/design halfway around the shank, so you wouldn't be paying for something you wouldn't see. I would explain that you'd like to do a payment plan, and ask if they would be willing to consider it.

Good advice, and I wanted to add that you should also check out Adzia http://www.etsy.com/shop/AdziasJewelryAtelier?page=1 as they make custom rings with a similar feel to the one you posted (vintage-y with a leaf-like design on the shank). I know for the setting I've been discussing with them, they requested a $300 deposit with the balance due upon completion.

Good luck!

Melvis

Rough_Rock
I was just looking at his rings.. and do like his designs. Just sent him a message as he also has a band thats similar in design to what im looking and liking on the Neil lane.. all he'd have to do is add some outside edging to it and put a mounting on top for center stone. i do like the idea of not wrapping the stones all the way around for better fit on the finger.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/43519948/handmade-elegant-diamond-blue-sapphire?ref=shop_home_active

The leaf design Im not too crazy about but I do love the cushion setting and scalloped edges of the halo.

I just want to include the Tsavs if at all possible in this design to get the colored stone look. :) thanks for all the support given. Have to weigh my options and see what we can do.

Funny... i did look on ebay and found another NL marquis for sale.. but that stone sits much flatter and closer to the ring than what I've seen.. almost like this one is a bezel setting and not a prong setting...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50ct-Estate-Vintage-Diamond-14k-White-Gold-Engagement-Ring-by-Neil-Lane-J33720-/131023603399?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e819d86c7

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Chrono|1383793166|3551960 said:
I would check out James Allen for the marquise. Whiteflash's "outside" diamond policy isn't as consumer friendly as it used to be. JA will also do 3 ASETs for free so you'll know which stone is a good performer. I would ask for such help in Rocky Talky. I would skip the store setting altogether too. The accent and melee diamonds are likely to be frozen spit quality as well with an estimated SI2 to I1 clarity stated. Daniel M is a good bench to try. Does IDJ do such custom work?
Good advice Chrono.

IDJ does custom work, and they would likely be budget friendly. You have to work directly with Yeuketiel. You tell him exactly what you want, we can help you, and you will get it from him. His shop is in the middle of the NYC diamond district, so he has access to ANYTHING. I mean it because I've seen it. But don't work with anyone but him directly.

http://idjewelryonline.com/index.php

James Allen diamonds:

0.38 Carat G-VS1, $560
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/0.38-carat-g-color-vs1-clarity-sku-240837

0.45 Carat G-SI2, $650
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/0.45-carat-g-color-si2-clarity-sku-250389

0.51 Carat I-VS1, $970
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/0.51-carat-i-color-vs1-clarity-sku-31386

If you wanted to put more money into the stone, and go for a simpler setting:

0.68 Carat H-VS2, $1,500
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/0.68-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-229094

0.65 Carat H-VS2, $1,320
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/0.65-carat-h-color-vs2-clarity-sku-253220

Or just get a big diamond and get a temporary solitaire:
1.00 Carat J-VS2, $2,950
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/1.00-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-sku-31690

Examples of what not to buy because of the big black stripe across the middle (called the "bowtie"):
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/0.50-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-sku-252081
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/0.51-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-sku-252083
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/marquise-cut/0.72-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-sku-252091

Options are never a bad thing. Please don't corner yourself into getting that setting there because they are the only place that makes it - they aren't. You're going to pay a premium for sub-par quality stones because it has Neil Lane's name on it, and that's lame. You can get yours made with the semi-bezel like the one you pulled up on ebay - save that pic and send it to the people you ask for a quote from.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Melvis|1383794980|3551974 said:
Funny... i did look on ebay and found another NL marquis for sale.. but that stone sits much flatter and closer to the ring than what I've seen.. almost like this one is a bezel setting and not a prong setting...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/50ct-Estate-Vintage-Diamond-14k-White-Gold-Engagement-Ring-by-Neil-Lane-J33720-/131023603399?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e819d86c7
Odds are this was an earlier version of the same ring you've been looking at - marquise cut stones vary too much in shape to make a stock semi-bezel like that, which is why the one you buy in stores has prongs - easier to adjust prongs to fit a fatter or skinnier stone than a semi-bezel.

Melvis

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone for all the help :) A ton of knowledge! I do hope I can include the Tsavs like I want. We shall see :)

Melvis

Rough_Rock
curious as to why you would say you woudnt suggest this to buy?

Im really starting to dig on the vine rings from Adzias... yes yes.. blows my budget out of the ball park 3 states away.. LOL.. besides the stone is too big for my small hands (I can fit into kid size gloves). So a half carat, max 3/4 is all I want/need as a center stone. but the colored halo is INCREDIBLE first I've seen where the halo stones are colored and not the center stone.. the leaf/vine design is kinda growin on me... and he does have other cuts/styles in this with cushion that is just as pretty.

My concern about the bezel setting style like these is that it appears to ..idk.. dull the stone.. you dont get as much light refraction? They just dont seem to sparkle as much. thoughts on bezel setting?

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/162453084/vintage-inspired-yehuda-diamond?ref=shop_home_active

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Because it's a tourmaline center stone and tourmaline isn't an every day wear type stone unless you sit with your hands in your lap all day.

Joe Escobar makes lovely lovely items of jewelry, and I wouldn't hesitate to suggest them for jewelry projects or for sourcing stones.

I quite like that ring you linked to from Adzias! It has the same feel that you like from the NL!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
And bezel setting a diamond should be just fine. With other colored stones, the stone would possibly darken just a little bit, so long as it's well cut.

carmen1

Shiny_Rock
Melvis|1383896136|3552634 said:
Im really starting to dig on the vine rings from Adzias... yes yes.. blows my budget out of the ball park 3 states away.. LOL.. besides the stone is too big for my small hands (I can fit into kid size gloves). So a half carat, max 3/4 is all I want/need as a center stone. but the colored halo is INCREDIBLE first I've seen where the halo stones are colored and not the center stone.. the leaf/vine design is kinda growin on me... and he does have other cuts/styles in this with cushion that is just as pretty.

My concern about the bezel setting style like these is that it appears to ..idk.. dull the stone.. you dont get as much light refraction? They just dont seem to sparkle as much. thoughts on bezel setting?

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/162453084/vintage-inspired-yehuda-diamond?ref=shop_home_active

They do custom work and they will also set accept your stone if you find a diamond for a ring yourself. Why don't you contact them and tell them your budget, and ask about whether they could make some changes to that ring that would be more to your liking. I would think that you could come up with something unique and exactly what you want.

Good luck!

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen SAMnSUE's shop on Etsy? They are relatively new to Etsy (spring of 2012), but they have very positive reviews;** the photos bespeak of very good craftsmanship (e.g., the milgrain is very impressive); they are happy to accept custom work, and in addition to the prices being reasonable, they offer a layaway plan.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SAMnSUE

** Also see this PS post with pics:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-sam-sue-etsy-eternity-ring.188357/

Here's the listing for a vine-leaf band & why I thought you might find them especially simpatico:
http://www.etsy.com/listing/110806133/14-karat-white-gold-diamond-vine
This band has better diamonds & higher total ct. weight than the Kirk Kara one that first inspired you -- and at $685, it's 1/3 the price, so an engagement ring within your budget seems like a likely prospect.

etsy_samnsue_refabr019864rgt0z.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Great suggestion! That's a very pretty ring, a little out of the ordinary vine leaf design. It never hurts to ask what they can do within your budget -- asking is free! =)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results