shape
carat
color
clarity

Have you seen any nice aqua lately?

DotDot

Rough_Rock
I have been looking for aqua on and off for several years. For various reasons, still haven't fount the "it" stone. Have you seen any nice aqua recently? Using PS standard, clean medium blue. None of the washed out blues please.

I am borrowing a picture from one of the PS posts as inspiration. I was completely wowed by it.

_22329.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Does it have to be an aqua? With the color you posted I'd think you'd have better luck looking at zircon.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Oh I remember that!!! - who doesn't? Colorluvr's divine ring and she also had a loose stone - both now unfortunately sold ;(

If that's the colour you're looking for and it must be aquamarine, I hope you realise these sell at a premium IF they can be found, though Niel's right with colour being similar to Zircon and easier to find.

I'll have a little hunt...but as always AJSgem has a good selection.
http://www.ajsgem.com/aquamarine-gemstone-beryl-2046340420.html

What is your budget and preferred shape? Is it for a ring?

SPSGuy

Rough_Rock
Aquamarines are rareish in that kind of intense color and can be harder to find. I'd say go with what the others posted and maybe look for a zircon.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Buy from a reputable dealer, because much of the deeper blue material on the market these days is irradiated, and can fade in color over time.

Much aqua is very greyish as well, so if you like those brighter medium blues as in the stone above, that's a rare color to find.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
i'm curious: when did aqua get to be so popular and expensive?
when I was a kid it wasn't a desired stone or so it seemed.....

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
movie zombie|1410710247|3750852 said:

When I was a kid, it was actually very desirable, but only in deep dark colors, and then when blue topaz came around, it became even more desirable as blue topaz was considered a cheaper aqua simulant.

There was a decline in price for a while, but mostly on very pale aqua, bordering on goshenite. It has always seen popularity as a birthstone, and blue is such a popular color for gems, that everyone loves it.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
T L said:

When I was a kid, it was actually very desirable, but only in deep dark colors, and then when blue topaz came around, it became even more desirable as blue topaz was considered a cheaper aqua simulant.

There was a decline in price for a while, but mostly on very pale aqua, bordering on goshenite. It has always seen popularity as a birthstone, and blue is such a popular color for gems, that everyone loves it.
I don't have the link or photo on hand, but do you remember Princess Di had an amazing aqua ring and bracelet set.... :) :razz:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1410744059|3751039 said:
T L said:

I don't have the link or photo on hand, but do you remember Princess Di had an amazing aqua ring and bracelet set.... :) :razz:

The Queen has a really nice set of aquas, although it's not suitable for casual wear (the tiara might be too much :lol: ). I think there's a brooch and a bracelet too. It was a state gift from Brazil.

qebrazilparure_1_.jpg

DotDot

Rough_Rock
If I can have just one piece of the queen's set... I will be a happy happy woman.

Yes, I know I am looking for premium quality aqua (thus the multi year search) and a zircon won't cure my aqua itch. :doh:

Not counting Santa Maria aqua, I thought I can get premium quality aqua for $500 per ct? Even the vendor prices differ quite a bit (mineralminer seems a lot more affordable than africagems?). How should I set my expectation with prices?

Thanks for all the great listings. I like emerald cut, rectangular cut and pear cut. Prefer no round nor oval(unless good deal). Love the 5.22ct Loverskites posted though that will be over my budget. I am thinking roughly in the 3k range. Does Africa gems negotiate? Also anyone bought from mineralminer? They are not on the recommended list though they seems to have nice choices too (say the 5.89 and the 8.72cts).

Thanks again for all your great inputs.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene of Precision Gems had some gorgeous Mozambique aquamarines at some time in the past. It might be worth asking if he has any left and whether he is willing to cut any for you. I don't think he does commissions anymore.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Okay... so this bobbed to the top again because of a spam post that's been deleted.

However! I was wondering recently whether you had found something Dot - do tell :))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results