shape
carat
color
clarity

Harry Oppenheimer Diamond Museum (with pics)

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I hope everyone is doing well :wavey:

I recently visited the Harry Oppenheimer Diamond Museum in Israel and thought it would be fun to share pictures and the overall experience.

I was barely there for 10 minutes so I didn't snap many pics but I plan on going again tomorrow for the full experience.

It contained mostly basic information about diamonds, marketing, and the 4 c's etc. Boring.

Then some very pretty pink and yellow FCDs in various cuts were exhibited along with a colourless marquis with the biggest window I have ever seen :knockout: Unfortunately I didn't take a good look at the FCD jewelry.

Things got most interesting at the end when they had a nice CS exhibition too! The bixbite pictured below really stole the spotlight for me. It had no major purple modifier irl like my horrid photo suggests - and it had an ethereal glow. Sorry for the blurriness - I'll capture it better tomorrow. based completely on dimensions it must've been between 0.4-0.8ct.

The specimens were particularly beautiful with pinkish-red spinel, rubellite, rhodochrosite, kunzite, various garnets and the most stunning emerald crystal pictured below. (some faceted ones too probably under 1ct).

There was a giant rose quartz cabochon with a perfect star which is worth mentioning and a true green Egyptian peridot. The peridot looked awful under the harsh lights but I bet it would be beautiful in hand. They also had unusual gems like phenakite and oligoclase and others I know nothing about.

I'm sure I missed some treasures trying to rush and see everything but I promise I'll go again tomorrow.

Bye for now, hope you enjoyed looking =)

20140204_175924.jpg

20140204_175726.jpg

20140204_175730.jpg

sonyachancs

Shiny_Rock
those glowing emeralds sure are something! these always remind me of Green Lantern. thanks for sharing! :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm loving all those pictures. Thank you so much! :appl:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
No problem, glad you like them. I went again however they closed really early so ended up with less time than before. I got some more photos but they all sucked... these were the only half decent ones. The lady working there practically had to push me out the door... lol

Thanks for looking :)

20140204_175705.jpg

20140204_175719.jpg

20140204_175745.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice pics. Thanks for sharing.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What an amazing sight to behold. I can't believe the specimens you saw. I love the emeralds in all their glowy finery, but that block of kunzite is unbelievable! :love:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1391618018|3608377 said:
What an amazing sight to behold. I can't believe the specimens you saw. I love the emeralds in all their glowy finery, but that block of kunzite is unbelievable! :love:

Yes, the specimens were most impressive. Just to set some proportions, the faceted kunzite was around 5-7cm wide. So the crystal was huge and gemmy and frankly I hope it stays unfaceted. :))

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
The bixbite is amazing. Dream stone for me. Can you imagine a five carat of that color and clarity?!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results