shape
carat
color
clarity

Halo setting with princess cut stones on the shank for a golden brown stone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all,

I''m helping my SO''s SIL - lets just call her D - put together a halo ring with a golden brown stone, probably a tourmaline. Before she buys the stone (there are a couple in the running - cushions, ovals, and emeralds, mainly), we want to make sure she can get the kind of halo she wants. I''ve sent her lots of LOGRs but she really wants a bezel halo (open gallery necessary, given how dark the stone will probably be) with princess set stones in i the shank. I can''t find one... can any of you?
31.gif

Thanks for your help! Once I know the setting is doable, I''ll start playing with stones (and showing them to you all)!

We''re trying to recreate something like this, as I don''t love the way that stone looks and having the designer set a different stone won''t cut down much on the cost. If we can''t find a setting, we''ll probably go that option, though:

bronze halo.jpg

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
we all know i don''t like halos.....but i like this ring. it has personality. good luck in your quest!

mz

ps perhaps you want a stone that has a higher RI than a tourmaline?

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
MovieZombie, I'm happy to hear that! Its a good sign. I kind of feel the same way, frankly.

I found a brownish gold spinel and a couple similarly colored garnets, as I was having the same thought.

Thanks for the encouragement! If we have to, we'll ask him to set a different stone, but its basically the same price with the stone as it is without, so....

ETA: Is there another higher RI stone you can think of that would work? Zircon is probably too soft, right, esp because its a bezel?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is she trying to create the look of a champage or chocolate diamond?

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I think that is what the ring''s original intent might be but D really likes the idea and look of a bronze-ish stone with reddish tones. I think the more she sees of reddish spesses, the more she''ll like them, so we''re moving towards red with brown undertones, I think. Some of the ones we''ve been looking at (though I''m nervous about GemSelect - should I not be?) are:

http://www.wildfishgems.com/inc/sdetail/10203
http://www.artcutgems.com/item.php?item_id=332&page=2&category_id=49
http://www.gemselect.com/spessartite-garnet/spessartite-garnet-123522.php
Gem 599

She also loves this but there is nothing disclosed or proven and after reading here so much, that makes me nervous!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would do a darker toned spessartite garnet then. You can find them all over ebay for inexpensive prices. Gems with a brown color should be very affordable. It has a higher RI (more sparkle) as well. It has the brownish red color she so desires (like a burgundy).

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, TL. Thats what we''ve started looking at. Are there any ebay dealers that you (or others here) have used before and trust? I''ve heard about that Bob (I think) person... need to look up his name, though!

Still kind of lost on the setting, but glad to have stone help!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bob Kast's ebay id is Vallejo916.

Dana of Mastercutgems also has some ebay auctions going from time to time (ebay id is also mastercutgems). He may have some burgundy spessartites on his site as well, mastercutgems.com.

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks, TL. I actually emailed Dana because there were some stones on his site I was interested in. I''ll check out Bob Kast, as well!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
garnet was my thought. please don't get a spess with brown tones! and be very careful with ebay stones if you're looking for a special ring....as this appears to be. i'd drop a very red...not orange spess.... or better yet, i'd even consider a chocolate moonstone.

i too love the look of champagne diamonds but a spess with brown is not going to look good. in fact, i'll say that a brown looking spess means [at least in my book] that its not a good stone.

however, there are other garnets to consider: hessonite would be one. some mali's are more golden than green........and check out grossular garnets as well.

mz

ps this is a good time of year to let a vendor know what you're looking for....a vendor who will be in tuscon in february! and don't forget that its getting to be holiday season and the mad rush to buy will shortly limit the supply of some vendors.

eta: if the price difference isn't that great, i'd be tempted just to get it as is.........

eta 2nd time: http://www.johndyergems.com/onlinecatalogpg29.html

checkout the mali in the upper left! the baby dyer's are said to be less expensive....maybe wink could get it for you to see?

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
MZ, that baby dyer is a great idea! I hadn''t made it that far in the catalogue.

We''ve been seeing a number of nice looking hessonites. I think D has asked for more pics of the stone that comes with the ring, to see if we should just go with it as sold. Its funny, I''m not really into brown stones, but I definitely like the look of the champagne-ish stone with that setting, too.

Thanks for your help!

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
you''re welcome!

have fun!

mz

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results