shape
carat
color
clarity

Gypsy, Gypsy........I think I''m ready!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
I THINK I''m ready, I must read up and do a bit more researching before "full steam ahead" is set in to place!
9.gif

I''m ready to see what goodies you have stored away! I''m really feeling green and would love an emerald - my only qualm would be how soft the stones are...nothing I can''t deal with though. Or red....maybe a ruby....

Then there''s always sapphire.... *sigh*
20.gif

So whatcha got?

Really though, I''m leaning a bit more towards the emeralds....
27.gif

I figured I''d try and keep your mind off the upcoming special delivery!!
31.gif

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
7.gif
7.gif
I''m not Gypsy
7.gif
7.gif
7.gif
9.gif
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.gif
I''m Gypsy... but this thread, I think is going to be open to quite a few folks.

OK... so lets start by
doing a search on Tsavorites on PS (Pandora has a stunning one that''s mistaken for an emerald quite often) as they have a nice refractive index, emerald color... and are harder than emeralds. Tiffany even carries them. Search "pokey special'' too. How big and what general shape stone are we looking for?

Then looking through www.cherrypicked.com and www.rrwise.com they will have emeralds as well as Tsavorites. www.palagems.com is a good place to look as well, although no prices are listed, as it''s a dealer site.

Then getting an idea for what kind of piece it''s going to be... a ring? What general style? I know you don''t want a three stone.

Wink and Leon can find you lovely stones as well. And Harriet, as well as others, have had a lot of experience hunting these things up so they may be able to add other vendors to the list. But I think that''s a solid start for now.

Let see what you are visualizing, and what you like, and we''ll go from there!
SO MUCH FUN... thanks for letting me be a part of it Evvie!

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/13/2007 4:49:55 PM
Author: Gypsy
2.gif
I''m Gypsy... but this thread, I think is going to be open to quite a few folks.

OK... so lets start by
doing a search on Tsavorites on PS (Pandora has a stunning one that''s mistaken for an emerald quite often) as they have a nice refractive index, emerald color... and are harder than emeralds. Tiffany even carries them. Search ''pokey special'' too. How big and what general shape stone are we looking for?

Then looking through www.cherrypicked.com and www.rrwise.com they will have emeralds as well as Tsavorites. www.palagems.com is a good place to look as well, although no prices are listed, as it''s a dealer site.

Then getting an idea for what kind of piece it''s going to be... a ring? What general style? I know you don''t want a three stone.

Wink and Leon can find you lovely stones as well. And Harriet, as well as others, have had a lot of experience hunting these things up so they may be able to add other vendors to the list. But I think that''s a solid start for now.

Yes yes, its open to EVERYONE!

COME ONE, COME ALL!

I didn''t mean to exclude any of you, its just Gypsy mentioned she had a few pretties in mind.
18.gif

Everyone, share with me your vast knowledge and options!

12.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pssst, Evelyn, here is something green.
3.gif

I would LOVE to have this ring....in any color... *sigh*

2111-A1.JPG

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/13/2007 4:49:55 PM
Author: Gypsy
2.gif

OK... so lets start by
doing a search on Tsavorites on PS (Pandora has a stunning one that''s mistaken for an emerald quite often) as they have a nice refractive index, emerald color... and are harder than emeralds. Tiffany even carries them. Search ''pokey special'' too. How big and what general shape stone are we looking for?

OMG, the Pokey special is delish!! He did such a great job on his fi''s ring, it''s just stunning!! What a good man!

I did an extensive search on tsavorites and emeralds (I quit reading at page 11!) and although the tsavorites are much more glittery and scintillating (due to the refractive index I think??) I think I prefer the soft glow of the emerald! *cowers*

As far as finger-real-estate, something not too over-the-top....I''d really like something that has that "wowza!" color.

Shape, well really anything OTHER than a round would be a possibility...I am open to pretty much anything! I have shortish fingers and small hands if that helps? I like emerald-cut, the vintage cushions...again, any stone with some good color saturation would be awesome! (I know, it would be more easier if I had a general idea in mind! I just spent a ton of time browsing the Colored Gem Gallery and every new piece I saw, I was "Hmm, I love THAT! No no, now I love THAT!" etc!!!

I would really be open to anything....well, cut gems, no cabouchons....unless its that yummy cab and baugette Montpassier on Leon''s site!
31.gif

I quickly browsed through CherryPicked and checked out Palagems a while back... I will check out the other site as well.

DH is taking me out to dinner with one of his co-workers and his wife. They are such a sweet couple, I''m excited! I will check back in when we get home if it''s not too late.

Thanks Gypsy and others for your helping hands, I would be running blind in the dark without you!!

12.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif
1.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
ooooooh Evelynn. . . fun project
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
I would talk to Wink of Winefields to see what he has or could bring in for you
31.gif

Chrono has a lot of colored stones. I bet she would give you her thoughts too; hopefully she will chime in!

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
Oopps, forgot about the ring design question,

I would set it in something with pave with some fun details (scrolling/pave/something under basket, LM claws or similar, I think I read about a "leaf prong" somewhere too.....)

Nothing too 3-stone'ish.

Well, I COULD get a nice 3-stone gem bomb, then reset my set.....

Nah....
11.gif

1.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
How fun!! Love new projects, can''t wait to see what you come up with!!! The Pokey Special is one of my most faves on PS.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/13/2007 5:59:33 PM
Author: Kaleigh
How fun!! Love new projects, can''t wait to see what you come up with!!! The Pokey Special is one of my most faves on PS.
Ditto! I see Pokey Special posted all over PS. It is for sure jaw dropping gorgeous!!!! I can''t wait to see what you come up w/Evelynn
31.gif
31.gif

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Evelynn, I used to prefer tsavorites to emeralds. Then, I met my emerald and realised that you can't compare the two. In my opinion, they're different beasts.
P.S. You avatar amuses me.

Gypsy, thanks for the honourable mention.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have fun at dinner!

Here's a couple of things to look at...

www.rwwise.com item number 5295 Emerald 1.62 carats 7.8 x 5.6

http://www.palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=588

http://www.palagems.com/php/db_search.php?action=gemdetail&inventory_number=590

http://www.paraibainternational.com/products.php?category=24&products_shape=0&products_price=0&products_weight=0&products_quantity_type=0&submit.x=33&submit.y=12

IF it were me, I'd be going to Leon for the setting... so I would contact both him and Wink and ask them to look into finding you the nicest Emerald they could, not round, top color, in your price range.

I'm also going to be bad and say that I've seen two really nice PAIRS of emeralds... that would be amazing in some drop earrings by Leon... so if you're interested in something for the ears... you know, let me know.
11.gif

Can't wait!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s a little necklace idea, you know if you got a PAIR of emeralds, one could go in a ring, the other in a necklace... like this kinda:

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Lets try that again.

IDEASEVVIE.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
neckshot-- with a knock out emerald in there it would just be amazing.
31.gif

neckshotEVVIE IDEAS.jpg

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
Hi Ladies!

Thank you for all the great links and ideas....we actually talked about the "project" saturday night at dinner - DH''s co-worker''s wife is a jewelry nut too!
9.gif
Her and I talked for quite some time about pieces, designers, etc and I mentioned Pricescope to her. I was expecting some sort of a "An INTERNET chat/vendor site??? And you are a member of this weird club?? Whaa?
23.gif
" sort of response, but she was all about it! I mentioned some of the Leon pieces and all the beautiful jewelry you all have and share and she was going to check it out!
1.gif

After receiving some quotes for a few other items from Leon, he will indefinetly be doing the mounting!

I really like the color of the third stone you posted, Gypsy! I''m finding it''s a bit tough finding a "velvety" green - and all the discrepencies from monitor/photograpy coloring...

What about these:

http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=1713 (It''s sold, but I like that coloration)

http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=1634 (they are a pair, but the color is nice...)
Expanding on this link: is it just the way the light reflects off the stone that is giving it they weird yellow flash on top? I noticed this happening on a few of the listed Zambian emeralds, too.

And Zambian vs Columbian...any opinions?

Red?
http://www.cherrypicked.com/Gallery/Score.aspx?ItemID=996

Grr...

But here are some photos of the style I would like:

LMmontpassier.jpg

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
or this:

emeraldhalo3.JPG

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
again:

emeraldhalo.JPG

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
Or this Leon, its set with a 13+ct Sapphire....I''m thinking not so big, but I love the bubbles!!

523HeidyLM.jpg

Evelynn

Shiny_Rock
Sideview:

He is such an artist!

523HeidyLM2.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh honey, baguette halo ALL THE WAY. That emerald bag halo is the twin of the sapphire one I fell head over heels in love with, that I desperately wanted for my asscher, and that I ultimately decided was an ideal look for colored stones, but not white stones. The baguette halo is just... extraordinary, and Leon can do it beautifully. That setting is very similar (read: nearly identical) to a Daniel K setting as well. SO incredibly stunning. I love the color of the emeralds you posted (especially the sold one) and that pair was what I was suggesting for a necklace/ ring combo. But I can see that you love LARGE stones (the 5 carat asscher gave that away too) so I'm going to have to say that you should call Cherrypicked, rwwise, and Leon and ask them to source you/ find you an emerald. It looks from the pics that want something around 9x9 for that baguette halo as it will had a nice amount of mm to the outside, for a non square stone... 8 x 10 or larger, I'm thinking. Of course if a square emerald is unavailable the setting with the baguettes and the cab emerald is TO DIE FOR as well.

Oh man Evvie, this is going to be one stunning ring.

ETA: you have a three stone step cut... so ACTUALLY a pave ring is a nice counterpoint to that. So that cab setting, with the pave and the bags would be just so lovely for a non square stone. Mmmmmmmmm. Or even a square stone.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I agree that tsavorite and emerald are two different beasts.

The important thing is that people have realistic expectations about emeralds. A lot of girls I know IRL are convinced that emeralds should look like green diamonds - a bit like the Walt Disney one''s in Snow White. Then they can''t work out why most of the ones they see are included and not very sparkly.

Shops in the UK are doing a roaring trade in emerald engagement rings - using lab emeralds
20.gif
, which look more like they are expecting.

Personally I''m a huge tsavorite fan - I love the way they change colour in different lights and how much they sparkle! But I can appreciate a nice emerald too - my grandmother has a beautiful one in her e-ring - but if I had the money to buy one, I''d just buy an even bigger tsav and make a nice pendant!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results