shape
carat
color
clarity

Grey Tourmaline

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RandG, it looks fabulous on your hand! Glamorous was the first word that came to mind, and chic was the second…the color is amazing, so different and just something you don't see coming and going, and the size and shape of the stone is really flattering. Setting is perfect. Thanks to you, I now have another style of ring added to my wish list lol. And I have to say, you managed to find the perfect nail polish to go with it! :cheeky:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
RandG|1414937155|3776327 said:
I appreciate all the comments, even those edited out. I didn't cut the stone, so I don't take the criticism personally. I did ask about the window and color saturation, in advance. To the vendors credit, I had the option of returning the stone. Top quality cutting it's not. But the color and shape of the stone is very interesting. A burnished or oxidized metal might serve this stone better, an edgier look. It's not worth a re-cut.

The more interesting aspect for me is that over the last six months, I've bought several items from vendors found through these forums, some heavily promoted. In nearly every instance, It's been a disappointment. I received another item last week that was so poor in quality, I literally replaced it back inside the packaging and sent it back, without even leaving the post office. Perhaps, I should have done the same with this stone. I don't regret trying. I've learned to stick with what I know. I've also learned a gray tourmaline is not going to satisfy my desire for a gray diamond. :)

I really appreciate that you didn't take my comments personally. Now knowing you asked in advance about the cut, I feel better.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
TL|1414938593|3776335 said:
RandG|1414937155|3776327 said:
I appreciate all the comments, even those edited out. I didn't cut the stone, so I don't take the criticism personally. I did ask about the window and color saturation, in advance. To the vendors credit, I had the option of returning the stone. Top quality cutting it's not. But the color and shape of the stone is very interesting. A burnished or oxidized metal might serve this stone better, an edgier look. It's not worth a re-cut.

The more interesting aspect for me is that over the last six months, I've bought several items from vendors found through these forums, some heavily promoted. In nearly every instance, It's been a disappointment. I received another item last week that was so poor in quality, I literally replaced it back inside the packaging and sent it back, without even leaving the post office. Perhaps, I should have done the same with this stone. I don't regret trying. I've learned to stick with what I know. I've also learned a gray tourmaline is not going to satisfy my desire for a gray diamond. :)

I too would be interested in what kinds of items you bought, you don't have to list the actual vendors. Were they colored stones, jewelry, both? What was wrong with them? Were the vendors those recommended in our sticky list??

I too have had instances where the stone went back the same day to a vendor. You excitedly open the box, ;( ;( ;( , then it goes back. :blackeye:

This only happened to me once. A known vendor here, in the sticky thread. It was a cheap stone, mind you, a round pink spinel. In the photo and video it had medium saturation and medium tone. In real life, well... I could barely see the colour it was so extinct. The colour I could see was not as nice as they made me expect. And this was a precision cut (very poorly done). By the time it got to me I was out of the return window. I bought from the vendor twice before (inexpensive stones again) and my expectations were either met or exceeded those times which is why I haven't posted about it before. I hope it was a fluke.

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Over the years, I've largely bought at shows, auctions or from a small universe of dealers I've collected over 20 years of buying. Buying online is very tough, but its also very convenient, especially if you work and travel all the time and shopping in-person can be a challenge.

Pricescope is a very small world, with many vendors making a living selling through these forums. I'm not going to use this forum to shame vendors, particularly when the vendor does the right thing. When disappointed with an item, the vendor(s) took their item back. I do have one vendor who sent an echeck refund via Paypal and it has bounced, but I've given him an opportunity to resolve it. Here, the vendor told me in advance I could return the stone. What more can one expect? The onus is on me.

We all have different aesthetic needs and expectations when we buy and every stone is a balance. Some see a window first a foremost. Some see the rich gray hues. I tend to favor things a little irregular so although bothered by the window, it's wasn't enough for me to give up on the stone. If I only went after the "ideal" or some prescribed idea of perfection, I'd have lost out on some really great pieces over the years.

I like Marlow's eye for color. I'm hoping Marlow will help me identify some nice untreated lilac/lavender spinels, with silvery grayish undertones, to be used for earrings. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RandG|1414943342|3776355 said:
Pricescope is a very small world, with many vendors making a living selling through these forums. I'm not going to use this forum to shame vendors, particularly when the vendor does the right thing. When disappointed with an item, the vendor(s) took their item back. I do have one vendor who sent an echeck refund via Paypal and it has bounced, but I've given him an opportunity to resolve it. Here, the vendor told me in advance I could return the stone. What more can one expect? The onus is on me.

No one is asking you to shame vendors, and if they do the right thing and give a hassle free refund, that's good. I understand if you don't want to name names. However, I would hope for anyone in this forum, that if a vendor is giving someone a major hassle, or very poor customer service without redeeming themselves, they would mention it as to save others from heartache.

I've been in very similar circumstances as well, where vendors couldn't refund all my money because they were usually stone flippers or had very little income and spent the money before they could refund it. It's something to be aware of if a vendor has a very small operation, or no other source of income. To me, that's not a good excuse to keep your money. I feel vendors should hold on to the money until the return window is over. JMO.

At least your vendor resolved the issue, but that is probably someone I would not buy an expensive gem from, if I did buy a gem from him/her at all. Thanks for sharing your experience and enjoy your ring. :)

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Which size and shape??

No problem!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow, you're awesome!

I would prefer larger than 8mm. Beyond cut, color is most important to me and I can live with most shapes but favor cushions, ovals, and emerald cuts most. If cut like an old mine or euro, even better but I know its not likely. If you find bigger than say 9mm, I'll set them on a French wire. If smaller, I'll do a stud with a halo to gain scale. I'm pretty flexible. If you find a really big stone (12-13mm), an oval or cushion, and its a great stone with a cert, I'd even do a large stone too. I like to stay with cutters/dealers who are USA based, with a reasonable return policy.

No rush, of course. I'm patient :) and want to wait for just the right color. It needs to be like a Sterling or Silver rose, that kind of soft silvery lavender. Thank you!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
I can talk to my sri lanka vendor. He will be in Tucson, Las Vegas etc.

This material is not a problem but the sizes and a matched pair - the can cut it if you take them.
Maybe you contact some custom cutter too .

I will ask him to give me some stones - I will make some pics and post them on loupetroop - then you can contact him...

You want more gray or lavender?

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
That would be great, or if you want to suggest vendors I can contact them directly too. I really appreciate it.

Lavender should be the primary. I've been looking for a while and can't seem to find just the right shade, but I know I'm aiming for a sterling/silver rose type hue. Inspiration photo attached if that helps.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
pregcurious|1414939349|3776336 said:
i think to make the vendors list, it means that the vendor is honest about treatment, their pictures are not outrageous, and their customer service is reasonable. As for the cut and color of the stone, it is up to the buyer to discern. It is very hard buying over the Internet. Vendors show their stone in the most flattering way possible, not necessarily as they will look all the time. A hand shot can be very helpful but most of the vendors do not do this.

This is exactly right. Occasionally, I sell stones and I take many photos. There are always photos that show the stone to its best advantage, and while the temptation is to show these photos, I do my best to also show in different lightings, in different circumstances so that expectations will be tempered and they will not be disappointed. Of course, I spend a profuse amount of time on photos because I do not do this for a living, and I am not charging for my time; I can understand why those in the trade do not have this luxury.

Before I learned to ask questions or ask for additional photos, I bought many stones where no matter what I did, I could not replicate the way the stone looked in their photo (maybe with the exception being if I blasted the stone with exceptionally strong light). Really disappointing.

Starzin

Brilliant_Rock
Great find Marlow and great purchase RandG! I'm sorry the cut turned out disappointing even after your queries but it's still a great stone (and size) for a good price if you're in to these colours, which I am as well.

Is the colour you're looking for more of a saturated Rose de France?

LK said:
By the time it got to me I was out of the return window.
For future reference, the return window (usually) starts when you receive the stone. That's why it's a good idea to communicate with the seller immediately you receive it AND clarify it beforehand.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Starzin|1414978215|3776560 said:
LK said:
By the time it got to me I was out of the return window.
For future reference, the return window (usually) starts when you receive the stone. That's why it's a good idea to communicate with the seller immediately you receive it AND clarify it beforehand.

Ah, thanks for that info Starzin. Oh well.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We know that photography can be a challenge so the vendor's list mainly houses name of vendors that have a good return/review policy and is honest (will refund your money without question). There are some vendors that take more accurate photographs that others. This is why a second thread was created - the Vendor + Owner's Picture thread. This is to allow others to make a comparison themselves and see the review of how close the vendor's photography is to the actual stone received (and hopefully make the correct mental adjustment as necessary).
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vendor-pictures-and-owner-pictures-of-ps-stones.109420/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/vendor-pictures-and-owner-pictures-of-ps-stones.109420/[/URL]

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
Marlow... you totally got my color! What do you think of the cut?

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
If you like the color be quick!!!

I like it very much!!

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I took the leap of faith! Thanks for remembering my quest and if you find others, also untreated, keep me in mind. THANK YOU!

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
Post pictures - hope it is what you want.
:D

RandG

Brilliant_Rock
I will- for sure. Seller is in Australia, a place I've spent a lot of time over the last 8 years so that makes me pretty encouraged!

And thanks again. You nailed the color to perfection.

Marlow

Brilliant_Rock
It is very easy - you love a color which is typical for most taaffeite - and I love taaffeite!!!

But of course much cheaper is spinel...

The vendor is interesting - like some of the rough sapphires. He is active on another forum - sounds good.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results