shape
carat
color
clarity

Graff 8.32 carat ruby sells for 8.6 million!

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright, time for someone here to 'fess up! It was a PSer, right??? Lol...

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it just me or is that a terrible pic of it? Cause I am not seeing 8.6 million worth of $$$$$ in this photo.

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, just saw the link. Graff bought it back. I hope it's much nicer in real life, some of those photos make it look like a garnet... At least to my amateur eyes.. [emoji23] [emoji23]

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mochiko42|1415927254|3783037 said:
Oh, just saw the link. Graff bought it back. I hope it's much nicer in real life, some of those photos make it look like a garnet... At least to my amateur eyes.. [emoji23] [emoji23]

Oh it is! And Graff is haloing it at my request! :saint: :bigsmile:

cheers--Sharon

liao

Shiny_Rock
need a better pic. it does not look like a 8.6million ruby :bigsmile:

cut_apprentice

Rough_Rock
I hate to be of topic but please help me; I know an entertainer who wears $3, 000 diamond rings. Shouldn't they glitter from the stage? His does not. Do diamonds have to cost a certain amount before they reflect at a distance?

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
When you see it in all its grandeur, it appears as if its pure red! Magnificent!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I believe this is the same stone.

graff_ruby_01_1_.jpg

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Such great color. For some reason the stone looks masculine to me. Neither of the settings accentuate the stone. I think I would set it in a yellow gold solitaire setting and let the stone speak for itself or make it a pendant and hang it from a big diamond bale.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder whether the difference is in photography (which doesn't make much sense given all the photography touch ups done for printing/advertising/promotion) or it is in the metal used (yellow gold vs platinum).

soberguy

Brilliant_Rock
Someone linked a video that shows several of the pieces in this collection. It is a staggering beauty!

akmraju

Rough_Rock
Hello Everybody, I was so excited going thru your forum and I have read about this Graff's Ruby more than a million times and each time look at my prized possession which I named it as RedBrat.
My favorites pastime is hunting for ROCKS and stones. It has been my hobby for the last 25 years and I have collected lot of specimens. ( Agates, jadeite, carnelian, rough diamonds, bloodstones, Herkimer diamonds, amethysts, 60,000 carats of Rhodolite Garnets which I planned to make a coffee table, etc ).
The picture attached, the 9 CT ruby is a gift from my Grandpa (1902-1985) who bought this in the year 1964-65 from Burma Repatriates to Vizag, a coastal town of India. There were hundreds of repats from Burma who arrived by ship to Visakhapatnam, and my grand pa has been buying crockery, porcelain ware and all other stuff which was exquisite compared to what we get in India. This ruby was a prized possession of one of those repats who did not want to sell to him, but finally did after a long persuasion. This Ruby was part of the other jewelry and as it was not mounted in any setting, we ignored it all the time after my Grand pa passed away in 1986. I have been so much fascinated with the Ruby that I researched a lot about rubies and their properties. I just signed up to Pricescope and headed to the Graff 8.32 CT ruby. Will send more pics in a few hours from now

redbrat.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
akmraju|1416240239|3785133 said:
Hello Everybody, I was so excited going thru your forum and I have read about this Graff's Ruby more than a million times and each time look at my prized possession which I named it as RedBrat.
My favorites pastime is hunting for ROCKS and stones. It has been my hobby for the last 25 years and I have collected lot of specimens. ( Agates, jadeite, carnelian, rough diamonds, bloodstones, Herkimer diamonds, amethysts, 60,000 carats of Rhodolite Garnets which I planned to make a coffee table, etc ).
The picture attached, the 9 CT ruby is a gift from my Grandpa (1902-1985) who bought this in the year 1964-65 from Burma Repatriates to Vizag, a coastal town of India. There were hundreds of repats from Burma who arrived by ship to Visakhapatnam, and my grand pa has been buying crockery, porcelain ware and all other stuff which was exquisite compared to what we get in India. This ruby was a prized possession of one of those repats who did not want to sell to him, but finally did after a long persuasion. This Ruby was part of the other jewelry and as it was not mounted in any setting, we ignored it all the time after my Grand pa passed away in 1986. I have been so much fascinated with the Ruby that I researched a lot about rubies and their properties. I just signed up to Pricescope and headed to the Graff 8.32 CT ruby. Will send more pics in a few hours from now

Akmraju,
Did you ever get a highly reputable lab report for that stone? If not, I highly suggest that you do.

akmraju

Rough_Rock
Thanks TL, I was hesitant to get it done in here. I have been hanging around GIA NY, last year but was not so sure how to approach.
Very much appreciate any suggestion.
Thanks again,
AKM

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
What is kinda funny is when a big ruby comes up for sale Graff and one other person pushes the price up because they have a bunch of them in their safes and it pushes the prices up on all of them.
He even admitted he did so in an interview.
Between him and the other guy who's name escapes me at the moment they own something like 90% of the large high end rubies that have went up for sale the last 30 years.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
cut_apprentice|1416162496|3784719 said:
I hate to be of topic but please help me; I know an entertainer who wears $3, 000 diamond rings. Shouldn't they glitter from the stage? His does not. Do diamonds have to cost a certain amount before they reflect at a distance?

No, they just have to be cut properly.

Wink

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I was thinking the same thing Karl. Why is it that dealers are the ones who buy these stones?(Jewelers) I looked at the ring and wondered if it was the same one that sold a few yrs back and so it is. I like the bulgari setting better than the new one, but the stone looks redder in the new photos than in the photo of the Bulgari.

So is value real if the dealer keeps buying it?

Annette

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
akmraju|1416242466|3785154 said:
Thanks TL, I was hesitant to get it done in here. I have been hanging around GIA NY, last year but was not so sure how to approach.
Very much appreciate any suggestion.
Thanks again,
AKM

If you're going to be in NYC, take it to AGL (American Gemological Lab). They're the premier lab for colored stones. I suggest GIA more for diamonds and fancy colored diamonds.

akmraju

Rough_Rock
Sure TL, I will approach them in NY. I was trying to upload some pics from my iphone and had trouble with it. I am uploading one now.
-akmraju

rbrat.png

rbe.png

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
akmraju|1416405079|3786392 said:
Sure TL, I will approach them in NY. I was trying to upload some pics from my iphone and had trouble with it. I am uploading one now.
-akmraju

Is it completely clean???

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very big, very red and very clean. I'd definitely get it checked out - it's either a whopping rarity that is worth an unbelievable amount of money or well, no need for me to say it.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results