carat
color
clarity

Graduation present?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi all!

I'm still not due to graduation for another year, but I know that sometimes looking for just the right colored stone (within the right budget!) can take even longer than that! So I thought I should start to get some ideas early in case it turns out to be a long search.

I've been deferring graduation presents from my parents for my college and high school graduations, and so I have a decent budget saved up for my medical school graduation since my parents are awesome and lovely people. Right now it's tentatively 2k for the stone.

Unfortunately, I can't figure out exactly what I want, which makes it hard to start looking. I know I want something either red, blue, or white (school colors), probably for a pendant because I already have more than enough rings! And preferably something fairly durable as I'd like to be able to wear it often.

I really really loved the leuco garnet that TGT posted, and wanted to make a bezel pendant out of that, but it was sold by the time I inquired. I know they are an exceptionally rare gem, do you think I'd be able to find one in a 1ct size in the next year?

I love garnets, but they don't do blue very well, and the reds tend to have a bit of brown and appear a bit dark. I was thinking blue spinel since from what I understand, it's slightly more affordable and available than red spinel if I'm not hung up on having a cobalt spinel. But I know that search can take a long time as well! I searched pala and while some of the blues look gorgeous, the shapes and cut were often really odd... I have a tanzanite pendant I really love, and I'd love to own a spinel that had a color that could compete with it!

Anyways, any input about the rarity of leuco garents, or leads on nice blue spinel, or other ideas about what would make a special pendant in general would be lovely!

ETA: There is always of course, the option of the classic diamond solitaire pendant.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I like the idea of a red or blue spinel.

What do you think about either a blue sapphire or a ruby? Is corundum out?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hey Indy!

Corundum is tricky for me since I don't really like heat treatment, even my tanzanite is unheated, lol. And my budget probably wouldn't cover unheated and great color. Also, I think I like the idea of having something a little more quirky and specific to the CS world. Most people have heard of sapphires and rubies, but spinels and leuco garnets are a little more reserved for colored stone afficianados.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock
Since you have time...my first suggestion is to choose a cutter whose work you love and then pick a color and see what they come up with--and give them time to cut you something very special. Or, if you are going to work with a couple of colors, perhaps you can do blue/white (diamond or sapphire), or red/white perhaps in a three stone ring?

My second suggestion is to go for a color that you will wear not due to the school's colors..but because you love it. If both are the same then great! You can afford a very nice blue sapphire or blue spinel at that price, I think. Do you have a setting style in mind?

Laura

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the suggestions. I've only contacted Barry so far, but I'll probably reach out to Gene as well. I've actually never managed to buy anything from Gary or Jeff because their goodies get snapped up so quickly! If anybody has other suggestions though, I'm all ears.

And yes, luckily red and blue are two of my favorite colors, which is a happy coincidence. :)

No particular style in mind. Most likely going to try for a pendant as I have many rings, and only 3 pendants. But who knows, if I see a stone that just screams: "Put me in a ring and stare at me!" Then I will happily cede to it.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lavender spinel with small mint garnets on the sides? Or green chrysoberyls? Tan always sells small cushion chrysoberyls.
(Sorry, I am obsessed with lavender and light green, it may not be your idea at all but since you are thinking spinel + garnets...)

Another dream of mine - either cherry opal from Barry or very saturated opal with small intense green tsavorite.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I still like the diamond solitaire pendant idea. Not exactly unique, but more unique if you choose an antique cut (maybe one of GOG's antique-style cushions or rounds, since you have the budget for a decent sized one).

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
jstarfireb|1295836974|2831033 said:
I still like the diamond solitaire pendant idea. Not exactly unique, but more unique if you choose an antique cut (maybe one of GOG's antique-style cushions or rounds, since you have the budget for a decent sized one).

I like this idea. What is your budget for the setting? You could either do a simple pendant or something more elaborate such as a colored stone halo.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think red and blue are the most difficult stones to find if you set your sights high, and of course, white just seems boring to me as the star of the show. Since you are particular about treatment, spinel may be the way to go since garnets do not do red and blue as well, plus they are slightly less durable. Your chances of getting a decent blue spinel is better than getting a red spinel, not to mention, the blue spinel will most likely be less expensive although it’s still not an easy hunt. Definitely start looking now and you may even want to have somebody lookout for any possible candidates at the upcoming Tucson show.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, given the recent thread on the red spinel search, it seems blue would be the better option!

If I can't find anything in the next 8 months or so, I'll default to a diamond pendant with plenty of time. :)

ETA: I might still consider a lovely mint garnet. I'm a sucker for garnets and can almost always be talked into getting a really nice one.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the shout out!

So--we're looking for a blue spinel? I've never actually seen one for sale that was as beautiful as the ones I've seen on the CS board. All the ones I've seen for sale are grayish or purplish. I will certainly keep my eyes open for one though. I actually think red might be slightly easier to find as I saw a gorgeous Burmese one on Tan's Ebay site. (Sadly I think its been sold though! I watched it for some time, but felt too unsure 'reading' Tan's photography to actually buy it.)

Are you looking for a precision cut?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know, I've only really ever known precision cut gems. The only ones I see that are "native" cut are the stones I see in some of the stores on jewelers row and they aren't the most impressive...

I have a long time so I can patiently wait the next few months to see if I can find a nice blue spinel. If after 6 months nothing seems to be showing up, I'll start considering expanding my search to mint garnets or other possibilities, and if still nothing then I'll default to diamonds because those can usually be had with relative ease!

ladyvengeance

Rough_Rock
This will be a great project to follow. I hope you find just the right gem that will be a perfect reward for all your hard work and accomplishments!

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
MTG, whatever happened to the lovely blue sapphire you got from Gene? (Uh, not that I'm obsessed with that stone or anything :) It was so beautiful!)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results