shape
carat
color
clarity

Genes Ruby & Tourmaline - PIX I Promised

iLander

Ideal_Rock
So these are the Gene stones that I managed to snag before his drop email even went out. I promised photos when the stones arrived, to try to make it up to you all. 8)

They are lovely stones, great colors for both. I didn't expect the ruby to shift a little in incandescent (I do LOVES me some color shift), and the tourmaline shifts back and forth as well. They both explode with color and sparkle when the light hits them, and it overwhelmed my camera a bit. The sparklefest is why I love Gene's cutting.

The colors in Gene's photos are 100% correct, for some reason my pics skewed bluer than what is seen with the eye.

So, here you go, starting with his pics, then an outside shot and an incandescent shot.

20_ruby_from_africa_precision_gem_thumb.jpg

genetourmpic.jpg

_30230.jpg

_30282.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
The picture with the ruby ring shows a ruby I got from Gene 3 years ago. It's a sleepy stone, with excellent color, and I included it to show that you shouldn't be afraid of sleepy stones, they offer a blast of color in low light. Not a sparkle, but constant glow, which I've very much enjoyed.

Shot order is beside window, incandescent, window, incandescent. PS blew out my informational captions.

So, yeah, am I forgiven? :rodent:

_30283.jpg

_30284.jpg

_30285.jpg

incandescenttourm.jpg

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing to the max. Both of them. Thanks for sharing!!!

Any ideas on how you will set these?

_30286.jpg

iLander

Ideal_Rock
LOL, Acimom! I wish you hadn't posted that picture, now I must hate you, because you are SO beautiful! :bigsmile:

I have a feeling these will end up in IDJ halos, unless someone can show me a setting that surrounds the stone with diamonds in some other way. Stop me before I halo again! :shock: Suggestions very welcome.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander, we've known each other for a long time, so may I speak freely? You don't need two rubies, one is enough. And in your heart of hearts, you KNOW where the other belongs...

ETA: whoops! Forgot to say that they are both lovely. Congratulations, you so deserve them!

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
iLander - since I'm a relative newbie to Pricescope I have to ask if you have a thread on your sleepy ruby ring? It really does glow. I'd love to see more pics! Great purchase and congratulations. And I don't hate you because of being beautiful or having beautiful stones :lol: .

Acinom - love the pic. I have to save this!

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both are lovely, thanks for sharing, and I look forward to seeing the finished rings.

DK :love:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
minousbijoux said:
iLander, we've known each other for a long time, so may I speak freely? You don't need two rubies, one is enough. And in your heart of hearts, you KNOW where the other belongs...

ETA: whoops! Forgot to say that they are both lovely. Congratulations, you so deserve them!

:lol:

I agree, Minou, my heart does feel that at least one belongs with you, if not both. :(( But I know how burdened you are by colored stones, I feel the anguish that they cause you. :sick: It is with a much resolve and determination that I valiantly carry this burden for you, Minou. :| It's not easy, but it must be done! :(sad

:bigsmile:

iLander

Ideal_Rock
bling_prism|1431796639|3877487 said:
Pls post more pics iLander! They look like the perfect saturation! :love:

I might, but it took me 87,000 tries to get these lousy things . . . :bigsmile: I'll see if DD can help me.

Poodles4me said:
iLander - since I'm a relative newbie to Pricescope I have to ask if you have a thread on your sleepy ruby ring? It really does glow. I'd love to see more pics! Great purchase and congratulations. And I don't hate you because of being beautiful or having beautiful stones :lol: .

Acinom - love the pic. I have to save this!

I don't have a thread for it, and I should. I agree, we do need a thread comparing sleepy versus sparkly stones, I might give that a try.
dk168 said:
Both are lovely, thanks for sharing, and I look forward to seeing the finished rings.

DK :love:

Thank you! :)) If you have any setting ideas, I'm open to seeing them.

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
They are both gorgeous iLander! Can't wait to see how you set them!

baby nurse

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was really looking forward to these pictures! Wow, they're gorgeous :love: :love: I'd forgotten how amazing Gene's faceting was!
And your sleepy ruby ring is lovely, also.

iLander

Ideal_Rock
ricezo|1431823740|3877619 said:
They are both gorgeous iLander! Can't wait to see how you set them!

Thank you! LOOVE your avatar stone, BTW! :love:

baby nurse said:
I was really looking forward to these pictures! Wow, they're gorgeous :love: :love: I'd forgotten how amazing Gene's faceting was!
And your sleepy ruby ring is lovely, also.

Thank you, baby nurse! I have gotten so addicted to Gene's faceting! :love: I think I may start a thread on the sleepy ruby to compare it to a sparkly ruby, they're really different animals.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think an Art Deco style ring with step cut diamonds would be gorgeous with the tourmaline. I am thinking of Lovinggems inspiration ring for her spinel. [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/forum/files/_28732.jpg']https://www.pricescope.com/forum/files/_28732.jpg[/URL]

The oval ruby would be stunning in a classic three stone. I can see it flanked on either side by either pear or round diamonds.

I agree that Gene's cutting is phenomenal.

Please start a thread for your rubies :appl: ! I would love to see the comparisons. I find mine are a bit shifty as well which I love. My one seems to glow in the evening kitchen light when it turns to stop light red.

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
You and your stones are too beautiful, I think I just turned to a deep green shade. :mrgreen:

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
iLander,

Since you asked :naughty: , these would be my choices for the oval ruby (I love the butterfly/berry & leaves settings, just need to find a suitable oval stone):

1385078289_30_1_5285_pink_sapphire_ring__1_of_5___1_.jpg
_t2ec16f__wse9suw_zbdbsiohs3_dw__60_12.jpg

A 5-stone setting like pregcurious' spinel ring would be very nice too:
pregcuriousspinel5stonering02.jpg

As for the tourmaline, not sure if the cut would suit these settings, however, the shape would, IMHO, therefore, some tweaking may be required:

il_570xn_137.jpg
imagesr5mo3pid.jpg1206_01.jpg

DK :))

mochiko42

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Genes Ruby & Tourmaline - PIX I Promised

Gorgeous ruby! And that cat, Acinom!!

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are beautiful iLander! You are forgiven.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Someday I hope to own a Gene as well. :)

iLander

Ideal_Rock
poodles4me; I do like Lovinggems setting! :love: I wonder where she got it? :confused:

Lovinggems; We were just talking about you! :D Where did you get that fabulous setting for that tourmaline?

dk168: I do like those setting very much and it sparked an idea about a setting with marquis that I saw. What do you think of this one?
https://www.uniquesettings.com/products/show/4953 I probably can't afford it, but I'll ask IDJ for a quote.

mochiko42; Very kind, thank you! Isn't Acinom a hoot? :lol:

LisaRn: Thank you, I was starting to worry . . . :-o

ecf8503; You will, sometimes they turn up on Loupe troop, you might do a search there. ;-)

shulaibaoma: Setting them is soooo hard. . . ::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results