shape
carat
color
clarity

Gems w/ surface reaching feather

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Would you buy one?

I bought and returned a spinel because it had a small 1mm feather that reached the surface. The points that reached the surface was in a "y" shape, and about 1mm long total. No cleavage, just a thin break in the surface that I can see w/o a loupe. The feather is where a prong would cover in a 4 pronged oval setting, and I was concerned the setting process might crack the stone.

Now i kind of regret it, because the color was so beautiful.

Did I do the right thing?

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I'll be interested to hear the consensus on this because I would have returned the spinel, too. Any surface reaching inclusion makes me very, very nervous, prongable or not.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think for that price, it shouldn't have such an inclusion.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1293055180|2804048 said:
what if it was around $700?

I've seen cleaner Mahenges or ones without such surface breaks, with similar color, for less on Tan's various sites. I think you can do better.

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
I have a low tolerance for feathers but when they are surface breaking there is no question.
My feeling is that a feather, whether it breaks surface or not, is a fracture, and fractures can always grow with little provocation.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Thank you guys, you have made me feel infinitely better. His prices have gone up recently, so i'm not sure i can find one for $700... but i'll keep looking!

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
look at multicolor

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did the inclusion actually breaks the surface? From the video it looks like it doesn't? Also was it actually a feather? It looks like two inclusions rather than a feather?

In all honesty, for that money, as TL has said, you can probably do better but may have to compromise a tiny bit on the colour because I suspect that's why this gem has been priced so highly.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
VapidLapid|1293056909|2804067 said:
look at multicolor

I just looked thru multicolour and emailed them about two, but they dont look very saturated or vibrant. Hopefully additional pictures will show something different. There were two cabs that caught my attention tho! :)

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Here's a comparison shot they took of the 1.72 i have and the 1.65 i returned:

spinel comp.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock
It's likely just the photos, but to me they both look,...diluted.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
it doesn't look very saturated in person either, but i got the 1.72 for about $590 after some ebay bucks and if i return it, i dont get my ebay bucks back.

Would you keep the 1.72 for $590? It's quite sparkly and a little more pink in person.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
BIG BIG thank yous for putting up w/ me, btw. my family is sick of seeing pictures of gems because everything looks the same to them. I really appreciate your time and effort, esp around the holidays when everyone is busy!

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
TL- would that look diluted? I must say i'm having a really hard time w/ saturation. I honestly cannot tell at all.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To be honest, I'm not keen on the saturation of any of the stones in this thread, including the top one, but I am on my bad computer monitor. This is one I own that's pretty saturated (my jeweler and a Mahenge dealer said so too), if you want to compare videos.

http://odysseygem.com/Gem_Shop/product_info.php?products_id=981

The trillion I bought was also extremely saturated, more red than pink, and it was 1.77 carats for $850, to give you an idea of what you should be paying. Except for one small non surface reaching inclusion, it was very clean too.

I returned two to Multicolour that were more saturated in the photos than IRL, so I'm not keen on that company, although others love them.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, I see what you mean... i have a smaller one from tan's auction, and it's very vibrant hot pink and saturated looking, also very included, but i paid very little for it so i kept it. I wanted to find a bigger one like it but it's been rather difficult!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ForteKitty|1293062437|2804164 said:
Hmm, I see what you mean... i have a smaller one from tan's auction, and it's very vibrant hot pink and saturated looking, also very included, but i paid very little for it so i kept it. I wanted to find a bigger one like it but it's been rather difficult!

There are more saturated ones, but they are either more included and/or more expensive. I'm glad I got the trillion when I did, and I bought another highly saturated trillion, but it is included. It has a surface reaching inclusion, but I paid $170 for it and it's 1.91 carats. It is beautiful so the surface reaching inclusion doesn't bother me too much. However, the price was very very low for such color, and it's well cut too. I think the one I just linked to is a good buy for the color, clarity and cutting. I prefer the cutting on it and high crown than the one you returned. I think it's worth a look or at least asking Tan about it.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I dont mind inclusions in gems, as long as they dont reach the surface. Just emailed him about the one you linked, i wonder if it looks the same in person as the 1.72 one i have.. the vids look almost the same!

Still really bummed about the 1.65... the color looked so vibrant in person. it actually glowed in my office.. and NOTHING looks good here.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Haha, i emailed him about the 1.90... he said it's already been sold. To a PSer!

I wonder if the 1.99's window is really noticible in person. Will send another email...

THANK YOU!!!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That window would probably close up in a setting.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results