shape
carat
color
clarity

Gemfix Sapphire Advice Needed

ggkauai

Rough_Rock
Aloha all,

I have been working with a jeweler who has helped me source a sapphire that I want to use for my e-ring. The goal was to find a light-med blue/green non-heated Montana sapphire in the 1-2ct range. I lean toward cushion cut, naturally.

Here's the stone we chose, and the jeweler purchased in order to take more photos and videos for me: http://gemfix.com/gems/sapphire-montana-803
sapphire_montana_803.jpg

Video: https://kenanddanadesign.vids.io/videos/e89bd0bf1012e7cf60/g-mov
g_2.jpg

I plan to have it placed in this setting: https://kenanddanadesign.vids.io/videos/709bdcb61d1be6c1f8/ivyyellowcushion-mov

all that being said, I love the colors (as I've seen from the photos and video), but do I dare move forward without seeing it in real life?
I don't know much about sapphires, so is there anything I should be concerned about this particular stone, or in general?
Would love any feedback.

Thank you!

S

SparkliesLuver

May I ask your budget? I'd love to look around really quick if you could give a bit more detail.

Have you seen unheated Montanas in person before? If not, I strongly suggest you do. They're very shifty and typically have a good amount of gray. ETA: This one also looks slightly silky - are you familiar with that in-hand?

chroman

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Is that a window at the bottom-center of the in-hand pic?

ggkauai

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1476978773|4088922 said:
May I ask your budget? I'd love to look around really quick if you could give a bit more detail.

Have you seen unheated Montanas in person before? If not, I strongly suggest you do. They're very shifty and typically have a good amount of gray. ETA: This one also looks slightly silky - are you familiar with that in-hand?

I'm not necessarily looking for something else, but the stone budget is around $1500.

The description on gemfix reads: Beautiful unheated Montana sapphire cushion. Eye clean with some silkiness that gives it a soft glow. Lengthwise it appears a light baby blue, turned widthwise a yellow-green flash appears down the center in N daylight, and under fluorescents. Under incandescent light, colors all blend into a soft grey-blue. (Cut by Andrew Gulij).
sapphire_montana_803_a.jpg

I'm not familiar with silk in hand, or with non-heated Montana stones in the lighter colors. Should I have the jeweler send me the stone?

S

SparkliesLuver

chroman said:
I wondered this too.

ggkauai said:
I'm not familiar with silk in hand, or with non-heated Montana stones in the lighter colors. Should I have the jeweler send me the stone?
I'd definitely say yes.

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Some people like me really love silky stones because of the glow, others do not and want more of a sparkle. Occasionally you can find a silky that has both but I don't know how common that is. If you are not familiar with Montana sapphires or silkiness I suggest you view this stone in person before you put it in your e-ring. As SL pointed out Montana sapphires can have a fair amount of grey in them and can be shifty. I find sapphire a very difficult gemstone to purchase sight unseen as they change dramatically depending on the light source. I would hate for you to be disappointed.

ggkauai

Rough_Rock
Poodles4me|1476985821|4088967 said:
Some people like me really love silky stones because of the glow, others do not and want more of a sparkle. Occasionally you can find a silky that has both but I don't know how common that is. If you are not familiar with Montana sapphires or silkiness I suggest you view this stone in person before you put it in your e-ring. As SL pointed out Montana sapphires can have a fair amount of grey in them and can be shifty. I find sapphire a very difficult gemstone to purchase sight unseen as they change dramatically depending on the light source. I would hate for you to be disappointed.

Thank you. I'm not much for flashy or sparkly – in that case I think I would have gone with a diamond. I feel most attracted to these light blue/green and teal colors on the spectrum, which is why I decided on the Montana sapphire (among other reasons, Montana significance, birthstone, etc.). Not sure I would be put off by gray, either, unless it lost all other hints of color. Sounds like I need to have it shipped to me!

ggkauai

Rough_Rock
SparkliesLuver|1476985343|4088963 said:
chroman said:
I wondered this too.

If it were, in fact, a window. Is this a big concern/deal breaker? From my understanding, this means that the light passes through without reflecting? Is it a mark of poor cutting?
I'm not sure that even if I had the stone in hand I would be able to tell...

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
ggkauai|1476986468|4088970 said:
SparkliesLuver|1476985343|4088963 said:
chroman said:
I wondered this too.

If it were, in fact, a window. Is this a big concern/deal breaker? From my understanding, this means that the light passes through without reflecting? Is it a mark of poor cutting?
I'm not sure that even if I had the stone in hand I would be able to tell...

I think it's most likely a tilt window and is noticeable because of the angle the sapphire is being held in the one picture. I finder paler coloured stones show tilt windows more. The video isn't clear enough to tell if it's an actual window. Ask your jeweller if he notices a window as he will know for sure.

Everyone's tolerance for windows is different. I have a couple of stones with windows - one I love because of the uniqueness of the gem and its colour and the other one I can't stand to look at anymore.

Reactions: T L

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Everyone is different, but there is only a few situations where I would purchase a stone and have it set before viewing it unset in person. As others have said, Montana can shift color in different lightings, and also can have a gray component. So I would suggest seeing it in person. I do think it looks pretty in the photos.

ggkauai

Rough_Rock
Thank you for all the feedback. This site is really empowering. I discovered and read through a few forums, including the "New to coloured gemstone buying" post before deciding to join and post this.

The jeweler has been so awesome and patient with answering my questions, so I will ask about the window/tilt window.
I will request to have the stone shipped to me as well!

ElleK

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That is a tilt window. All gemstones do this, even diamonds, it just changes depending on cutting, the angles and the variety of gemstone as to how much it and at what degree it shows.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Is that a window?
No. It is a tilt window, which is very normal for a coloured stone. It is also small and not a dealbreaker.

2. Should you view it in person first?
Yes. The nuances of a coloured stone is very different in person. You may decide that you want a bit more sparkle than you initially thought, or the colour didn't look like something you'd like in person, or perhaps it is the perfect stone for you. Do check out the stone under various lights (natural, shaded, full, fluorescent, halogen, etc) and make sure that you like it under the lighting conditions that you'll wear it under most often.

ggkauai

Rough_Rock
So, opening up a bit and considering other options as I attempt to get a view of this one in real life. If anyone has other suggestions for 1-2ct unheated Montanas in similar coloring, I would love to potentially benefit from your sourcing skills! Budget is around $1500.

On a side note, I will be off island and in the Bozeman, MT area around Christmas. Hoping to have picked out a stone before then, but if not, maybe there's an opportunity to see some Montana sapphires that haven't traveled too far from home.

Hivona

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It turned out beautiful! Glad you are happy with it too! Congratulations!!!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Your ring came out so pretty! I love all the different colors your sapphire shows. I know you will enjoy observing the changes. Congratulations! :love:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a beautiful ring. I'm glad you came back to post the finished piece. :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results