shape
carat
color
clarity

Gem questionability quagmire on ebay jewelry!

meth

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

Due to current circumstances, I have been looking to purchase some cheap jewelry for my wife off of ebay (All great stories start with sentences like this!). To get straight to the point, I see a lot of large, light green colored gems on evilbay being claimed as unheated emeralds coming from Africa (like in the photos below). My question/concern is, what are these large gems exactly? lab made? colored glass? Polished uranium turds?

Has anyone by chance bought some jewelry from sellers off ebay in the Chanthaburi, Thailand region, and what were the results? It seems like they should have plenty of real gems since that area is known for their gem market.

Thanks in advance!

2014053100051.jpg

2014053100056.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
meth|1418334346|3799656 said:
Hello all!

Due to current circumstances, I have been looking to purchase some cheap jewelry for my wife off of ebay (All great stories start with sentences like this!). To get straight to the point, I see a lot of large, light green colored gems on evilbay being claimed as unheated emeralds coming from Africa (like in the photos below). My question/concern is, what are these large gems exactly? lab made? colored glass? Polished uranium turds?

Has anyone by chance bought some jewelry from sellers off ebay in the Chanthaburi, Thailand region, and what were the results? It seems like they should have plenty of real gems since that area is known for their gem market.

Thanks in advance!

That seller has tons of stores, and keeps selling lots of what looks to be synthetic or simulated gems as real. The prices are too low for what he or she is touting, and the stones are too good to be true (too large, clean, fake looking), and those emeralds don't look real at all.

Buyer beware!

meth

Rough_Rock
TL|1418334865|3799663 said:
That seller has tons of stores, and keeps selling lots of what looks to be synthetic or simulated gems as real. The prices are too low for what he or she is touting, and the stones are too good to be true (too large, clean, fake looking), and those emeralds don't look real at all.

Buyer beware!

I agree with you 100%! I just grabbed that one particular piece off of ebay, but there seems to be a ton of sellers selling the same type of jewelry. I'm just curious as to what the gems actually are (besides being "real"!).

VirginiaZee

Shiny_Rock
Not sure what you're looking for specifically, but I'd really encourage you to reach out to Dana at mastercutgems.com, he's got a ton of different gems for every budget, including things that might not be listed on his site. Artcutgems.com might also have something interesting. Good luck with your search!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd say the stone is anything but real. Probably lots of photoshipping thrown in for good measure.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results