shape
carat
color
clarity

Garnets?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I''m due in January and am thinking about birthstones. I know garnet is the birthstone for January. I know that this stone comes in several different colors, but I''d like something that have some reddish/purple/pink in it. I don''t care for the deep red garnets. For this purchase I''d like to stay away from the very different colors such as greens, orange, etc. I also don''t want it to be very expensive, so I''m trying to get an idea on color and prices right now.

Do you know of any sites that sell the stones already set in quality settings? At this point I''m interested in either pendants and rings. I obviously want a nice looking stone, but having color treatment doesn''t bother me.

Thanks for any help pointing me in the right direction!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Garnets are rarely treated in any way, so no worries there. I would suggest rhodolite or umbalite garnets for the color you might like.

I know Michael E of the Gemshoppe both cuts and sets gemstones, and I've only heard great things of his work. You can conduct a search here on PS to see some of the projects he's done, and he is very helpful in working within a budget.

Barry of acstones.com has a lot of garnets available, but to my knowledge he doesn't set them himself. (But someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Here's a thread full of garnets if you want to get an idea of the type and color you would prefer
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-garnets.112815/

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gene of precisiongem.com also obtains nice umbalites from time to time. Arjunajane has a ton of pictures of her awesome umbalite ring (from Gene) on PS.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Barry doesn''t usually set stones himself, but many of the jewelry items seen on his site are things he has put together using Stuller settings or asked his jeweler to create. I have seen several examples of his work, but they are usually rings he makes for himself.
37.gif

Basically faceting is his main deal and he likes to try his hand at making jewelry in his spare time. So I think Michael E is probably your best bet for buying the stones and getting them set. I''ll also second MTG''s suggestion of rhodolite or umbalite garnets.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The Rhodalite Garnets are still pretty dark. I have one and it is a dark red. I''ve seen a few online that look a bit more purple.

I''d also look at Tanga Garnets that have a pinker tone to them online. I''ve seen them on Barry''s site, ACStones.

HTH

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have a rhodolite that is a bright pink with a purple hint to it. Very pretty. Tangas will probably work too.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
I''d look at the royal rhodolites on Art Cut Gems. Rick is also a jeweler so he can set things as well.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 12:42:28 PM
Author: Stone Hunter
The Rhodalite Garnets are still pretty dark. I have one and it is a dark red. I''ve seen a few online that look a bit more purple.

I''d also look at Tanga Garnets that have a pinker tone to them online. I''ve seen them on Barry''s site, ACStones.

HTH
Hey there! I wanted to edit this but computer problems prevented me. Anyway...

I have a Rhodalite cut my Michael E and it is darker IRL than in it''s glamour shot. So all I''m saying is if you don''t like dark red garnets then get lots of pictures of any Rhodalites you are thinking of.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you go with a rhodolite, for sure go with one that is pinkish.

-A

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I forgot all about rhodalites, but have never heard of umbalite garnets before...I''ll check them out.

I looked at the GemShoppe website and wasn''t impressed at all. Maybe I wasn''t looking at the correct site? Or maybe I was just expecting too much? I''ll check out the other sites suggested as well.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 1:09:45 PM
Author: orbaya
Thanks so much for all the suggestions! I forgot all about rhodalites, but have never heard of umbalite garnets before...I''ll check them out.

I looked at the GemShoppe website and wasn''t impressed at all. Maybe I wasn''t looking at the correct site? Or maybe I was just expecting too much? I''ll check out the other sites suggested as well.
Umbalites are a type of rhodolite from the Umba valley in Tanzania. They have a very distinct reddish purple color. They''re typically more expensive than rhodolites, but they''re generally not expensive gems (around $100/ct).

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 12:32:55 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Garnets are rarely treated in any way, so no worries there. I would suggest rhodolite or umbalite garnets for the color you might like.

I know Michael E of the Gemshoppe both cuts and sets gemstones, and I''ve only heard great things of his work. You can conduct a search here on PS to see some of the projects he''s done, and he is very helpful in working within a budget.

Barry of acstones.com has a lot of garnets available, but to my knowledge he doesn''t set them himself. (But someone correct me if I''m wrong).

Here''s a thread full of garnets if you want to get an idea of the type and color you would prefer
Just a few words about treatment of garnets. I prefer to buy untreated stones. Looking for demantoids, I came across several incredibly beautiful stones. Almost too beautiful, so we sent them to AGTA and got back a report, stating "indications of heat treatment". If you look at Pala''s list of demantoids, some of them are "heated", some are not, some are marked as "unknown". I do not know about other garnets, but some of them are totally transparent and it makes me wonder. I think Richard Homer''s stones are untreated. A Namibian Mandarin garnet that I bought from Africagems is probably not, it is quite included.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Do you have any shape preferences? Some stones lend themselves very nicely to certain shapes and cutting styles IMO, so I''d (for example) seriously consider a trillion cut for deeply colored garnets such as rhodolites, especially if you''d like to set it into a pendant. Trillions are cut quite shallow compared to most other cuts which helps bring out the color more in darker stones (such as many rhodolites) and is a very lively cut if done properly. Also, how large would you like this stone to be? Approximate budget in mind?

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/9/2009 1:34:34 PM
Author: crasru

Date: 12/9/2009 12:32:55 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade

I know Michael E of the Gemshoppe both cuts and sets gemstones, and I''ve only heard great things of his work. You can conduct a search here on PS to see some of the projects he''s done, and he is very helpful in working within a budget.

Barry of acstones.com has a lot of garnets available, but to my knowledge he doesn''t set them himself. (But someone correct me if I''m wrong).

Here''s a thread full of garnets if you want to get an idea of the type and color you would prefer
Just a few words about treatment of garnets. I prefer to buy untreated stones. Looking for demantoids, I came across several incredibly beautiful stones. Almost too beautiful, so we sent them to AGTA and got back a report, stating ''indications of heat treatment''. If you look at Pala''s list of demantoids, some of them are ''heated'', some are not, some are marked as ''unknown''. I do not know about other garnets, but some of them are totally transparent and it makes me wonder. I think Richard Homer''s stones are untreated. A Namibian Mandarin garnet that I bought from Africagems is probably not, it is quite included.
Yes, demantoids are commonly heat treated, but are (as far as I know), the only garnets to.

A too clean to be true stone, though, is more likely synthetic, instead of heat. Heat doesn''t always improve clarity and it is a risk to heat included stones, as they are much more prone to cracking. Most heat is done to change colours (zircons, some tourmaline, tanzanite, etc).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, I should have specified that I meant that the garnets in her color of interest (pinkish purple) was generally not heated/treated.
1.gif
As far as I know anyways..

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 2:01:03 PM
Author: ma re
Do you have any shape preferences? Some stones lend themselves very nicely to certain shapes and cutting styles IMO, so I''d (for example) seriously consider a trillion cut for deeply colored garnets such as rhodolites, especially if you''d like to set it into a pendant. Trillions are cut quite shallow compared to most other cuts which helps bring out the color more in darker stones (such as many rhodolites) and is a very lively cut if done properly. Also, how large would you like this stone to be? Approximate budget in mind?

I''m not a big fan of trillion cut stones. I know I do not want round either. I think I prefer oval or cushion, but am open to other cuts for the right stone.

As far as size, I''m thinking maybe 7-8mm, or even larger. I want something substantial without being huge. I honestly haven''t thought much about price yet because I''m not really sure what the prices run on these stones.

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
I know many of you have stones cut to your specifications, etc. I''m sure price depends on size, the type of cut, etc. I''m wondering how expensive it generally is to have one cut...how much it can add to the total price of the stone? If I''m looking at a garnet, which seems to be generally lower in price than many other stones, is it worth looking into getting one cut, or should I just keep an eye out for something already done?

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Here is a pretty round Rhodolite from The Gem Trader. Link You can easily have it set at a local jeweler in either a ring or a pendant.

I'm a little confused by your questions. You began asking about getting a ready-made piece, and now you are thinking of having a stone specially cut. I suggest you take a look at the stones which are currently available before deciding that none of them meet your specifications.

ETA - And, as the mother of two children, neither of whom was born in the month they were due, I'd also suggest waiting until after your little one arrives before purchasing the stone. Congratulations on your pending arrival.

Oct-09-RhodoI.gif

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/9/2009 4:59:23 PM
Author: orbaya
I know many of you have stones cut to your specifications, etc. I''m sure price depends on size, the type of cut, etc. I''m wondering how expensive it generally is to have one cut...how much it can add to the total price of the stone? If I''m looking at a garnet, which seems to be generally lower in price than many other stones, is it worth looking into getting one cut, or should I just keep an eye out for something already done?

It would depend on who cut it for you. I wouldn''t call all garnets cheap, some of them can be stratospherically expensive!! I certainly encourage you to check out the vendor thread. I know of one that is used around here a lot which isn''t on the list (mastercutgems.com ). but its in dire need of updating/pruning.

If you don''t find one thats already cut to your liking, it would certainly make sense to contact a seller.

But the size you''re looking for shouldn''t be that hard to find. The hue is usually another story!

-A

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/9/2009 5:40:31 PM
Author: Fly Girl
Here is a pretty round Rhodolite from The Gem Trader. Link You can easily have it set at a local jeweler in either a ring or a pendant.

I''m a little confused by your questions. You began asking about getting a ready-made piece, and now you are thinking of having a stone specially cut. I suggest you take a look at the stones which are currently available before deciding that none of them meet your specifications.

ETA - And, as the mother of two children, neither of whom was born in the month they were due, I''d also suggest waiting until after your little one arrives before purchasing the stone. Congratulations on your pending arrival.

I''m definitely not buying before the little guy is here, just for that reason.

I was just asking about stone cutting out of curiousity and just learn more about all my options.
1.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
I''ve never had a stone cut, probably because I''ve never had a specific project in mind that called for a specific stone. My thing is to cruise the colored stone vendor websites, admiring the wares. Every once in a while something calls my name and I pounce. To have a stone cut would mean contacting various vendors to see if they had appropriate rough in order to cut the stone I wanted. They might, or they might not, but contacting them is not something I would do unless I was pretty serious about purchasing. I''ve never been that sort of buyer (yet!).

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Excellent list, Freke.
1.gif

And, if you still are thinking the preset jewelry route, here is a pretty garnet ring from Rick at Art Cut Gems. Link

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock

Wow Freke!! What gorgeous stones, thanks for looking those up! I''m going to keep those links. I can''t wait to see what I end up with either!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
2.gif
I''m glad you liked my list! I''ve been stalking gemstone sites lately so I just had to retrace my steps!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results