shape
carat
color
clarity

G to the 3!!! Yellow Gene grossular garnet finally set

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, I have been really bad at posting lately - got a bit destroyed by work for a few months and also pretty distracted by nesting into our new house :)

HOWEVER. A project I had kicked off by Quest Jewelers back in like, January is finally done! Original thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-ideas-for-my-gene-yellow-garnet.184174/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-ideas-for-my-gene-yellow-garnet.184174/[/URL]

The stone is from Gene, the only stone I've been lucky enough to get from him so far and it's GORGEOUS. Great cut, color, and dispersion (at least to my still untrained eyes :) The guys at Quest were in awe of it. Or at least, maybe acted that way to flatter a customer, haha.

Yellow grossular garnet, slightly over 2cts, ~7.3mm on each side, set in 18k white gold with side half moon diamonds. Thanks very much to those who helped on the setting, especially LD!!!

First, pics! Then my thoughts on how it came out.

Outside in the shade for the first few. The green you see in the stone is reflected from the tree. Excuse the ridiculous jagged nail.

Side view of the half moons

(edited to correct the carat weight)

g3_finger1_sm.jpg

g3_hand_sm.jpg

g3_handclose_sm.jpg

g3_handside_sm.jpg

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Aaaand more. I've said it before and I'll say it again, this stone is silly hard to photograph. It keeps coming out brownish, and it is a nice, medium yellow through and through. I came closest in the prior outside shots, my inside shots were terrible.

On my hand inside. This gives an idea of Gene's awesome cutting, but the stone still looks warmer here than it actually is.

g3_gallery_sm.jpg

g3_handprofile_sm.jpg

g3_profile_sm.jpg

g3_handinside_sm.jpg

colorluvr

Brilliant_Rock
Gorgeous! I love that is sits down fairly low, but still has gorgeous detail! Congrats!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Oh my, I ADORE it!!! So beautiful, I love lighter colored (well pretty much all, lol) garnets. What a beauty, the setting is gorgeous too. Congrats!

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
And now for the things that make you go, hmmm...

It's been awhile, so I'm sure nobody remembers from the original thread, but y'all had convinced me to go yellow gold for this ring - and I did. Except as you may notice, it ain't yellow. Yep, Quest screwed that up. I picked it up today and definitely told them immediately. They apologized and offered to redo it for free, so I'm happy there. I told them I would think about it.

Secondly, I had multiple, multiple conversations with them about wanting the halo to be delicate, and 'barely there'. It was written down by them, I brought it up when I saw the CADs, and then it came out like this. I certainly don't think the halo looks bad, but it's definitely not a 'barely there' / subtle halo. Again, they said they could redo it, so I figured I'd wear it for a bit and see if I am comfortable with the look.

Overall, I do think it's gorgeous. The profile filigree is exactly what I wanted, and the milgrained bezel on the half moons came out great. I had to harass them like 3 times that I wanted ONLY bezel on the milgrains, not more halo, so at least they didn't mess that up. And the underside is beautiful. I hadn't even drawn out anything for them and I love what they came up with. Lastly, I do think it shows off Gene's lovely garnet. The prongs are great, they blend in with the stone, the shape of the halo is great and accentuates the stone's pillow shape.

So far I'm thinking I will give Quest a pass this time on the mistakes, because the final result is extremely well put together. What do you guys think?

katharath

Ideal_Rock
Jereni|1367094634|3435814 said:
And now for the things that make you go, hmmm...

It's been awhile, so I'm sure nobody remembers from the original thread, but y'all had convinced me to go yellow gold for this ring - and I did. Except as you may notice, it ain't yellow. Yep, Quest screwed that up. I picked it up today and definitely told them immediately. They apologized and offered to redo it for free, so I'm happy there. I told them I would think about it.

Secondly, I had multiple, multiple conversations with them about wanting the halo to be delicate, and 'barely there'. It was written down by them, I brought it up when I saw the CADs, and then it came out like this. I certainly don't think the halo looks bad, but it's definitely not a 'barely there' / subtle halo. Again, they said they could redo it, so I figured I'd wear it for a bit and see if I am comfortable with the look.

Overall, I do think it's gorgeous. The profile filigree is exactly what I wanted, and the milgrained bezel on the half moons came out great. I had to harass them like 3 times that I wanted ONLY bezel on the milgrains, not more halo, so at least they didn't mess that up. And the underside is beautiful. I hadn't even drawn out anything for them and I love what they came up with. Lastly, I do think it shows off Gene's lovely garnet. The prongs are great, they blend in with the stone, the shape of the halo is great and accentuates the stone's pillow shape.

So far I'm thinking I will give Quest a pass this time on the mistakes, because the final result is extremely well put together. What do you guys think?

Hmm. I personally think the design is gorgeous, I wouldn't change a thing there (but that's all very much a personal opinion thing).

As far as the gold color, that one makes me wonder. I think it looks amazing in WG, but I prefer YG myself and would've chosen YG, especially with a yellow gem. It's tough though, bc the ring looks so beautiful. I personally wear 99% yellow or rose gold, so if it were me I probably would make them fix it bc that would bother me. But that said, if you like WG, then I'd probably stick with it as is, since it came out so well.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That is just stunning! The setting compliments the stone perfectly! Well done! :appl: :love:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
The more I look at it, the more I think the white gold suits it. I think bc of the ring design itself. The diamonds and the side detailing looks so nice in white gold. I wonder if it would work as well in yellow. But I'm a newbie to this stuff, I'm just posting for fun until the big dogs come along and point out all the things my untrained eye doesn't notice :). So keep that in mind, lol.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I do remember your original thread. The ring is really beautiful! It looks very well made. But it is kind of a bummer though that you asked for yellow and got white :-/
Wear it and see how it feels.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
colorluvr|1367094301|3435808 said:
Gorgeous! I love that is sits down fairly low, but still has gorgeous detail! Congrats!

Thanks so much! I definitely like how low it sits, it feels like a fairly natural extension of my hand.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
katharath|1367094388|3435810 said:
Oh my, I ADORE it!!! So beautiful, I love lighter colored (well pretty much all, lol) garnets. What a beauty, the setting is gorgeous too. Congrats!

Thanks so much! I love garnets too, it's a shame that so many of them are dark! Was very excited to get this one.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
yennyfire|1367095711|3435825 said:
That is just stunning! The setting compliments the stone perfectly! Well done! :appl: :love:

Thank you yennyfire! I have PS to thank for the setting ideas :)

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
innerkitten|1367096465|3435833 said:
I do remember your original thread. The ring is really beautiful! It looks very well made. But it is kind of a bummer though that you asked for yellow and got white :-/
Wear it and see how it feels.

Thanks IK :) Yeah it was a bit of a shock when the lady brought the ring out, but my first thought was - 'oh that looks really good!' So now that I see it, I'm hesitant to change it. And I wear more white metals anyway.....

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
You can always save the yellow gold for a future project. I wear more white metals too. Although I occasionally will wear yellow gold and I like to mix my metals.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Seriously gorgeous!!!!! I love everything about this ring.

indigoblue

Shiny_Rock
I LOVE it. I think the wg complements the stone beautifully and brightens the yellow color. In the yg examples in your original thread, I personally thought the yg just blended with the yellow stones whereas your wg accentuates your stone. But what do I know.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Jereni --- that is BEAUTIFUL!!! If it were mine, I wouldn't change a single thing about it!! I love it in the WG as it really makes your garnet POP out! I love the halo - no, not 'delicate' but it is well balanced and awesome proportions and the details.... YUMMY!!!

I really think it looks STUNNING!!! Yay Quest!!! :appl:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Nicely done!! :love:

cheers--Sharon

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
It is beautiful! It reminds me of those expensive yellow diamond halo rings that I've been seeing.

I love it in white gold!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I admit I'm pretty much over halos, but that said, I do think its pretty. I too would be hugely disappointed with the mistakes made. But I like the color combo. In fact, I wonder how it would look with yellow gold, and based on your photos, wonder if the stone wouldn't seem brownish if it was surrounded by yellow gold. I too think a more delicate halo would have been lovely, but for what its worth, there is a symmetry between the blocky, cushion stone, and the dimensions of the halo...

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
It's gorgeous!! Sorry it didn't turn out exactly how you originally envisioned it, but it is truly a beautiful ring and I think they did a good job accentuating the beautiful garnet. I like the half moons a lot too! Reminds me a lot of a friend's e-ring that she just received but your garnet is just so beautifully cut. Enjoy it!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it means anything, I really love it. I'm sorry it's not what you asked for but I think it's beautiful none the less.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much LisaRN, indigoblue, Enerchi, canuk-gal, txgreeneyes, minous, pandabee, and Catmom!

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1367154705|3436040 said:
Jereni --- that is BEAUTIFUL!!! If it were mine, I wouldn't change a single thing about it!! I love it in the WG as it really makes your garnet POP out! I love the halo - no, not 'delicate' but it is well balanced and awesome proportions and the details.... YUMMY!!!

I really think it looks STUNNING!!! Yay Quest!!! :appl:

Thanks Enerchi, that means a lot :) I definitely think their work is stunning and have no complaints about their craftsmanship.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
minousbijoux|1367168038|3436116 said:
I admit I'm pretty much over halos, but that said, I do think its pretty. I too would be hugely disappointed with the mistakes made. But I like the color combo. In fact, I wonder how it would look with yellow gold, and based on your photos, wonder if the stone wouldn't seem brownish if it was surrounded by yellow gold. I too think a more delicate halo would have been lovely, but for what its worth, there is a symmetry between the blocky, cushion stone, and the dimensions of the halo...

It's so funny you say that - bc being on PS, I saw so many halos and was kind of bored by them. But now I own two and ....well they sure are sparkly! :) :) :)

I think I am in agreement with you on the metal choice. The stone doesn't present as brown, but I wonder if the metal would affect that. I think I'm pretty set on keeping the white gold. Unfortunately now it's other things that are starting to worry me. I'm still not sure about the width of the halo, and I'm starting to stress about the half moons.

Jereni

Brilliant_Rock
Catmom|1367180920|3436217 said:
If it means anything, I really love it. I'm sorry it's not what you asked for but I think it's beautiful none the less.

Aww, thanks Catmom! Your lovely colored rings are quite a source of inspiration for me. I LOVE your yellow diamond ring :)

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a big yellow gold lover but I feel like the white gold really sets off the yellow stone! The setting is gorgeous!

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock
This ring really is gorgeous but I personally would really be upset if my ring came back with those errors. I think of Quest as a place to go to *predictable* not *artistic* custom work. If one of our artisan, hand-fabricating jewelers came back with a wider halo than expected, well, that is one thing, but I think that for a company like Quest, it is another issue. To me, the gold color issue is inexcusable, no matter who produces it. That said, the ring really is lovely, maybe even lovelier than it would be had it come out to your specifications! Nevertheless, even if you decide not to have the ring remade, I think that Quest should definitely offer to make good on this in some way, perhaps give you a sizable discount on a future project? It looks really well-made, and I especially love what they did with the under-gallery!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Jereni|1367187342|3436275 said:
Catmom|1367180920|3436217 said:

Aww, thanks Catmom! Your lovely colored rings are quite a source of inspiration for me. I LOVE your yellow diamond ring :)

Thank you so much Jereni, that's so nice of you to say! I really do love your setting, especially the profile. I know many people think a halo is passe but it's really a classic style and has been around forever [spoken by an admitted halo lover, lol]. :lol:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I had not known what was originally requested, I would have thought the ring as perfect. It's fantastic! That said, it does not meet your specifications and Quest acknowledged that and is willing to make amends at their cost. I would take them up on it. If you want a smaller halo, go for it. If you see that it looks better in yellow gold, go for it. We can't see the stone but you can. I've had custom work where it didn't meet my specs but is still lovely, yet I requested a redo because its not what I wanted. Think over this carefully to decide if you are "settling" or if this is truly what you love. Don't be in a hurry. The extra month or two wait is worth it if it is what you want.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results