shape
carat
color
clarity

Fun with tripods and photoshop + macro tips (spinel pics)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
Just thought I''d post this, both for those who were interested in seeing my red spinel in something resembling daylight, and for any who are interested in taking macro photos of gems.

I have a pretty poor camera, I suppose, for macro photography, but for the amateur hobbyist/regular guy, it''s not too bad. I''m not sure about the technical specs of the lens, I think it''s: 5.4-16.2mm, 1:2.8-4.8. It''s a Canon Powershot A70, 3.2 megapixels.

Now, I tried to take macro shots at first, just using my hands, and holding my breath, propping up my elbows, etc. But I found that to get good color coverage the stone has to be within a fairly small angle window, and it''s very difficult to rotate the camera to get this. The best bet is to keep the camera steady and somehow rotate the gem itself, on a small platform or something that can pivot. My results weren''t aesthetic (I.e. I had pencils, erasers, the small plastic case for a CF card) but they work.

Now, keeping the camera steady even when rotating the subject is almost impossible. The reason is you need to forego the flash entirely, and so to get enough light (unless you are flooding the area with really harsh halogen or incandescent light) the shutter speed has to be fairly slow. I realize now that I used program-control mode, so the camera set the aperture and shutter speed itself based on evaluative light metering. Probably if I was a better photographer I''d be able to tweak the aperture for maximum effect, but I''m still learning.

Nevertheless the shutter speeds are often simply not fast enough for a steady pic, especially when taking close up shots. So you *must* use a tripod, but I bought a $9 tripod, a tiny plastic contraption that is designed for macro shots. It''s called the Giotto BallPod. It''s not perfect, as the maximum downtilt of the camera platform occurs on a side of the tripod that is not entirely stable, so you do need to put your hand on one of the tripod legs to hold it steady; takes some practice. You could use it on the stable side but then you can''t get the camera to tilt downward more than 45 degrees, and I was taking some pics with the lens facing almost perpendicular to the surface and subject.

Here is another tip: put your camera in delayed drive mode if you have the option, so that when you press the shutter it doesn''t expose immediately. This is because even with a tripod, pressing the shutter button does shake the camera a little bit. My camera has a 2sec and 10sec delay button, which is GREAT. I use the 2 sec, press the button, let go of the camera and make sure the tripod is steady by putting my hands/weight on it.

Focusing tips: make sure you''re in macro focus mode. One thing I did not realize: if you are zoomed in, even the slightest bit, the focusing is highly compromised. The best focusing range occurs if the camera lens is zoomed all the way out. You can verify this by going into manual focus mode and seeing that the focus range is much better when zoomed all the way out. So bottom line: better to bring the subject as close to the lens as you can focus, than to have it further, then zoom in. When you zoom in you compromise focus. Also try to set the focus zones to the center of the camera viewfinder, if possible -- it helps with focusing, so the camera doesn''t accidentally focus on something else that''s off center (like your finger).

As for lighting, man it''s tough. Basically I ended up using the auto-white-balance the most; it came closest to actually replicating what I saw with my eyes. But it was never perfect by any means. I think the best bet is to shoot that way unless the lighting is really weird. Then to adjust in photoshop. With more photography experience one learns the best exposure settings (ISO film speed, exposure compensation, light metering, aperture, etc.) but you still have to make a color balance compromise, then just tweak from memory.

Three collages follow.

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
Here follows some incandescent pics I took last night, with the tripod. The best of the pics have been cropped and put into a nicely viewable collage.

incandescent-collage.jpg

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
And, as promised, the "daylight" pics. The center bottom one comes closest to capturing what Richard Sherwood did. Still these pics are a bit more pink than the daylight reality, which is a slightly deeper candier type of red, though not as straight red as incandescent. These pics were taken indoors on my desk which is flush with a window. Some were taken with the blinds up, some with the blinds down (to shade it a bit and make the light more diffuse).

daylight-collage.jpg

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
Finally, this is a little collage of some of the excellent pics sent to me by both Gary Dutton (the vendor) and Richard Sherwood (the appraiser). They were too good not to post in an attractive setting like this. Most are in incandescent, but there is a daylight photo or two by Richard, as well as a fluorescence pic next to two untreated Burma rubies, and some GIA gemset color standard comparisons.

others-collage.jpg

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
awesome photos and great photo info......i''m saving this page for future reference!!
2.gif
well done.

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
Well your camera takes better pictures than mine does. I like the photo on the dime.

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
The pics on the red background were not taken by me. The photo on the dime was done by Mr. Sherwood.

Art Nouveau

Brilliant_Rock
Your spinel is gorgeous! Thanks for sharing your macro tips. I have to buy a tripod and try some of your tricks. Did you buy it from a camera store or computer store? I have a Canon G3 and a Nikon Coolpix 990. The Canon is a newer camera, but I seem to have better success with the Nikon in macro mode.

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Great results goes to show some of the variation possible in photos, Buyer beware I think its important to know the supplier if your buying from photos and ensure they have a return policy.I wish they were my stones.

Cheers
Andrew Lane

raddygast

Shiny_Rock
Art Nouveau: A full-blown tripod is definitely a good investment for lots of types of photography, but I think for macro it would be useless. Try to get one of these tiny little tripods (maybe there are better ones that are heavier and completely support even a heavy camera with its lens pointed straight down). I bought it at a camera/photography specialty store. Not sure if the regular photo place would have them -- best bet is a place that specializes in all sorts of camera equipment.

lonewoodminer: Thanks. Most vendors who sell on the internet have a return policy, as far as I''m aware. If they don''t, then their customers are suckers! Especially in the field of color, seeing is believing and is definitely absolutely necessary before committing. In my case it is more problematic to "view" stones because of the border and customs hassles, so I made as sure as possible that the stone was worth consideration before even attempting to see it myself. Between Gary''s descriptions and Richard''s intensely detailed appraisal, I felt I wasn''t gambling.

P.S. I am so enamoured with spinel now that I think I just have to make me and my brothers each a black spinel ring with some sort of engraving inside the band.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

HI:

Great pics! I like to experiment with my Olympus 770 too, and feel I get a good "likeness" in macro mode as well. There is a real knack to photographing anything--but I don''t mind the learning curve..... You seem to have really taken to this colored gemstone stuff and photography--is it too late to change your field of study????
2.gif
9.gif

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results