shape
carat
color
clarity

Full cut vs single cut melee

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
I have little rounds to set as delicate ring/earring. I was given the choice to decide between single and full cut diamond melee for the halo. Which should i choose? Full cut will be 80 bucks more on average. Can someone share what diff does it make? Thanx

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good Morning! I think this question has probably been asked many times before - I know I just asked it a few months ago and here is the link: [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/full-cut-vs-single-cut.152010/?hilit=minousbijoux']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/full-cut-vs-single-cut.152010/?hilit=minousbijoux..[/URL]. If that doesn't answer your question, you might want to search the topic. I received different answers but basically, full cuts have more facets. As you probably know, you also want to be concerned about the quality and color of the diamonds. I've found that I care that they be at least VS and F or above.

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
If its an LOGR--full cut. LOGR 'full cut' kind of means 'upgrade' to clearer diamonds. I think there has been a thread before where someone asked for clean single cuts..IIRC the individual ended up with full cuts anyways. (if anyone has a link to the thread, feel free to link it/share if you remember better than I do)

If its a Leon/Singlestone--single cut. In this case, single cut actually means single cut, and therefore it will be melee with fewer facets than a full cut, meaning bigger flashes of sparkle. Its just a slightly different look/detail that some prefer.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As Indy has said, single cuts (for small diamonds) give exceptional sparkle and some high class jewellers (such as Leon Mege) use them in preference to full cuts. I think it depends on the size of the diamonds though. If they're bigger than melee you may want to go with full cut.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As said by everyone else, it depends on the size of the melees. If they are just diamond accents, then full cuts. If they are for micropave, then single cuts. The reason for this is that with very small sizes like those used for micropave, a full cut is just too busy for the human eye.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So what is considered micropave? Chrono, your response is consistent with earlier responses on the question, but it is hard to tell when it should be single and when it should be full. I have melee in various rings, including LOGR, which is full cut. I paid for upgraded melee, and while they sparkle somewhat, they are blown away by the melee I have in some other rings. When I loupe them, it appears that the other stones are slightly bigger in size, but both are full cut. At the size of LOGR's melee, which I would assume qualifies as micropave, should we be asking for single instead?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not all full cuts are created equally; just like diamond center stones, the cut is what will affect the sparkle. Well cut melees are going to blow away crappily cut melees, no matter the size. I think anything 1 mm and smaller look better as single cuts to the eye.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Thanx to all of you! I will choose the single cut melees.. They are about 4.5mm rounds.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
I mean to say that my round red ruby are about 4-5mm, sorry for the miscommunication. I am using 1mm melee. :wacko:

Lovinggems

Ideal_Rock
A haloed ruby piece, I can't wait to see it. I love the colour red, especially a glowy ruby. :appl:

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought that 4.5 mm seems too large to be a melee sized stone too. :naughty: Can’t wait to see your new ruby in its setting.

Agnesg

Shiny_Rock
Thanx it is not a high grade piece, I tends to have lot of ideas to create but most often than not I will end up getting a ready mounted piece..

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results