shape
carat
color
clarity

Fond of flowers, stone selection & ring design suggestions?

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock
So here is another cry for help and advice/suggestions!

I am working to determine the type of stones to use for an engagement ring. I want something that will be durable, but if it is pretty enough, I would take pains to keep it safe from everyday wear and tear. I am a horticulturalist and love all things plants. Green has been my favorite color ever since I was first asked as a child. That being said, I don't think I want a green center stone. I'm thinking maybe some kind of pinkish/purplish (with maybe brown undertones) stone for the center, kind of like a rose (:D) Or possibly a yellowish/orangish/pinky stone? Or maybe some deep red color or other warm tone.

Although I must say that I just now saw a beautiful tourmaline ring that was greenish blue.

For the side stones, or as I like to envision them as sepals or leaves, would have to be green. Green or blueish green depending on the color of the center stone. I like the half moon shapes, pears on their side pointing away from center stone, trapezoid, trillion or maybe even just a good old emerald cut.

I'm fond of white gold and considering rose gold. *side note question* - does rose gold lose the coating like they say white gold does over time?

I don't really like the flower-petal rings that scream flower shaped for an e-ring. I was thinking more subtle, maybe just with the colors and not the ring itself. Maybe some thin and close arching strands above/below or around the center stone would be pretty and suggest a flower shape/essence.

Ok, I think I have rambled enough! I hope that what I described is clear...or at least enough to suggest some good colored stones. Thanks for all the time and effort y'all put into these forums! Its hard to stay away from sparkly things, I'll admit!

Oh yeah! the important part. the budget would be ~$1500, with maybe, just maybe a $200 addition if it was something worth the money that would make or break a ring/stone

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Fond of flowers, stone selection & ring design suggestio

I think spinel would make a nice center stone option, they come in many "flowery" colors in the pink/rosy spectrum and look lovely as an ering I think.
http://precisiongem.com/html/html/Spinel.html

For side stones, it'd be easier to say if you had a stronger idea of the style of ring you're imaging? Personally, if I were to do a flower inspired ring, I might have polished pear chyroprase or jadeite cabs for side stones instead of faceted side stones. But that's just me, and I'm a little weird. But for faceted green stones, I think tourmalines offer the best quality green in terms of bang for the buck.

Green lake jewelers has many flower themed designs, so that's a place to browse for ideas.
http://www.greenlakejewelry.com/

Is the 1500 for the entire ring? If so, I should warn you that with high gold prices, at least half of that budget (if not more) will likely need to be invested in the custom setting. But pink spinels are generally pretty affordable so I think you can make it work!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock

If you're looking for flower or nature inspired and are on a budget, I would look at http://www.clay-pot.com for inspiration and check out Etsy, too. MTG's suggestion of Greenlake is also a good one; they do a lot of that kind of work and are great to work with (I've been talking to them about a possible custom project and found them very pleasant).

I'd suggest, as folks around here often do, to get your stone first, as that will inform what you can/can't/hope to do for the setting.

Have you seen anything that you love and could post here, to give us a sense of what you like? There are natural/flower inspired more vintage settings and then more artistic/modern ones, so once you have some ideas of what you want or don't want, maybe we can help find cheaper versions!

Good luck, keep us updated!

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

In terms of colour have you thought of green and purple together? It can be stunning. A purple spinel (durable) with either green garnets or tsavs or sapphires as side stones (but small and protected) by the setting would work.

Tourmaline - stay away from it for an everyday ring.

Be careful if you're having a multi stone ring that the colour of the gold matches all the stone colours. Having rose gold with, say, purple and green would be ok (depending on the colour of the rose gold) but it could also clash horribly.

Sally from Heartofwater on Etsy has made some wonderful organic creations. She also can make to your design and not only is her work of very high quality, she is also incredibly reasonably priced (much more so than other Etsy vendors that I know have been used by forum members).

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Yes, I LOVE Sally's work. A substantial ring in gold with a complicated design would probably be maybe 700-800$? Absolutely worth it in my opinion, but I just wanted to mention that upfront because if the structural design of the ring is an important priority, then you can budget for the stones accordingly.

I guess it depends what your priorities are. Do you think the design and customization of the ring's design and artistry is more important and you want to find the perfect stone to fit into that work of art? Or is your priority to find the perfect gem, and then to create the setting around it to best highlight it? Or both? Hehe. Many of us probably fall into the "stone comes first!" camp, but some people envision the ring rather than the stone.

Here's a photo of an ering I saved because I loved the design. It reminded me of flower without being overly literal.

I also just commissioned a ring from Sally for my star sapphire. It will be the head of the lotus ring, but with the leaf shaped arch supports of her Iolani setting with accent diamonds. I imagine it will look quite floral as well when finished, but that won't be for another month or so!

402_3_.jpg

ssapph.jpg

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock

Whew! Lots to reply to! and I look forward to sending out inquiries to lapidaries and looking through all of the suggested designers! I need to eat something, so I'll be back later on to check in, but please keep suggestions coming, I love all the input! Thanks for the help thus far! your time and efforts are greatly appreciated!

Novel

Brilliant_Rock

MakingTheGrade|1296417598|2837504 said:
Yes, I LOVE Sally's work. A substantial ring in gold with a complicated design would probably be maybe 700-800$? Absolutely worth it in my opinion, but I just wanted to mention that upfront because if the structural design of the ring is an important priority, then you can budget for the stones accordingly.

I guess it depends what your priorities are. Do you think the design and customization of the ring's design and artistry is more important and you want to find the perfect stone to fit into that work of art? Or is your priority to find the perfect gem, and then to create the setting around it to best highlight it? Or both? Hehe. Many of us probably fall into the "stone comes first!" camp, but some people envision the ring rather than the stone.

Here's a photo of an engagement ring I saved because I loved the design. It reminded me of flower without being overly literal.

I also just commissioned a ring from Sally for my star sapphire. It will be the head of the lotus ring, but with the leaf shaped arch supports of her Iolani setting with accent diamonds. I imagine it will look quite floral as well when finished, but that won't be for another month or so!

I ditto everyone about Sally. She is such a pleasure to deal with, too.

A bit OT, I saw that ring IRL recently, and the sapphires look like a dark guard around the diamond, its not nearly as flowery as I'd hoped it would be, or as subtle. And eeek, excited about your new ring, MTG!

ETA: Patrick Irla does some pretty literal and amazingly beautiful work, IMHO. His etsy site is http://www.etsy.com/shop/PatrickIrlaJewelry. One of Freke's e-rings is by him (scroll way down here, the one with the gold leaves - https://www.pricescope.com/communit...simple-settings.148794/#post-2693191#p2693191).

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

This is a Harry Winston setting -- I saved the photo in case I ever want to have something similar made (for less $$ I hope!). Any stones would be great -- I'm thinking of it for my green tourmaline, with side stones of dark blue or maybe mint colors.

The 2nd one is from Hearts of Water on Etsy -- various versions available. I love it, very flowerlike & organic.

--- Laurie

8349_G.sized.jpg

poss. model for tourm, harrywinston.JPG

Cabochon1

Shiny_Rock

Hi Jewelfreak,

I am pretty sure the second one is a design by McTeigue and McClelland unfortunately and not on Etsy. It's a lovely design and one of my favorites but very expensive...

Cabochon

greenfreak

Rough_Rock

I know you're not a big fan of green for the center stone, but I wanted to show you my e-ring:

peridot_011511_40.jpg

That's the best picture I have right now, but here is the setting, but with a round diamond:

eng_ring4.jpg

The links in this thread are helpful for me also because I am looking for a floral themed wedding band to go with it (I lost mine :( )

Thanks!

bleeblue

Shiny_Rock

Can I also suggest James Meyer's work. I've always admired how organic his pieces are and he is a true craftsman. I don't think he will set external stones anymore though.

Edit: Sorry, I've just noticed your budget - this may put JM's work out of your price range.

Largosmom

Brilliant_Rock

Very pretty settings! I like your ideas, I bet your ring will be very special.

velouriaL

Brilliant_Rock

Also check out Julia Kay Taylor on etsy. A lot of people have worked with her on here, so do a search to see examples.

Two Claws Jewelry on flickr does great work and Scott is a great guy. His hand-engraving is gorgeous.

Did you know that gold comes in green? It's very subtle, but might be a nice effect. You could possible skip the sidestones and go leafy engraving on filigree in green gold. Might help bring down your budget.

I agree that a rose-y spinel would be a great way to go and should be within your budget.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock

Cabochon, you're right. It is MC2, had it labeled wrong. Apologies. Durn thing is out of my budge too, that's why I recommend it to others -- somebody ought to get that beautiful thing!

--- Laurie

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

For an e-ring, I’d stick with either spinels (pink, lavender, purple) or if pressed, garnet (Malaia) because it needs a bit of babying. For your sidestones, it will be almost impossible to find half moons and trapezoids unless you pay through your nose to have them custom cut. Emeralds and trillions are doable but uncommon. Pears are your most likely bet. What concerns me most however is your budget when you are clearly taking custom setting with the vision you have shared. Even if you chose to go with an Etsy jeweller, the setting cost will be the bulk of your budget, not leaving you much for the stones.

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock

I really adore all those examples y'all posted, beautiful rings!

MTG, I'm excited to contact Sally and see what there is to work with! Her work looks very well done and substantial.

I have checked out all the other designers/sites as well like Green Lake which has a great array of fine details in their work as well as Patrick Irla who has the leaf vein detailing which I love!! I'm very thankful and excited to continue on with possibly designing my own ring!

I almost wish I had never even seen that McTeigue & McCelland ring (cause I know from what was said in the thread I'd never be able to get it, the price isn't even listed! eek) ,but it is soooo lovely!! I wish there were more shots of it at different angles though. Thanks JewelFreak, that design really inspired me!

And thank you greenfreak for sharing the info on the Mc&Mc and your photos, that green is very striking, and I love the mill-grain detailing!

crasu, thanks for sending another suggestion, that ring looked pretty, but I think I'd go with a slightly more traditional form for my e-ring, but it was lovely and I am a fan of roses :)

What concerns me most however is your budget when you are clearly taking custom setting with the vision you have shared. Even if you chose to go with an Etsy jeweller, the setting cost will be the bulk of your budget, not leaving you much for the stones.

Chrono, I understand your concerns and appreciate your input. I know that this is quite a daunting task for such a meager budget, but I am a pretty hopeful, resourceful person who works hard to find the best deal for the quality and it never (really) hurts to dream, right? I don't have my heart set on something because this is just the beginning stages, my ring idea is still evolving and I'm sure that I will be able to find/create a ring that is meaningful to me throughout my lifetime.

It may have to be something completely different than what I am hoping for, but I'm open to change and excited to continue hearing more of PSers thoughts or suggestions or more beautiful pictures of your own rings out there!

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock

Ok y'all I've been doing some thinking, what if I used silver for my metal? That would save on costs considerably (I would think)...I personally have no problem with silver but my only concern is that if it might not wear well? I know it must be polished but that doesn't bother me either unless that would compromise the stones in the setting in any way. I guess it would be a stone by stone basis though.

Thoughts? Good idea/Bad idea?

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

You could also do two tone if you go with an etsy vendor like Sally since they work by hand. I often get a silver shank, and high karat cold heads and accents. And it works well for me.

Also, you can ask Sally (or vendor of your choice) for a ballpark quote first just to see where you stand. If you go with Spinel as your stone, they are not particularly expensive in the colors you are looking for (more delicate, flowery colors) and so even if you spent 1000$ on the setting, you could probably still find a spinel for 500$ that is lovely.

freewheelinrose

Rough_Rock

Thats a really great idea MTG. I will definitely look into that. Good to hear from someone who has the same and verifies that it is a good practice.

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock

Hunt County also does really well with organic shapes and they work with colored stones a lot; I believe they cut colored stones as well, so you might be able to source the whole thing from one place!

http://www.huntcounty.com

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Here's my tsavorite lotus from Sally, mix metal and in my opinion, look just lovely.
She rhodium plates the silver, so I haven't had any issues with tarnishing. But just in case, with gems that are expensive, I try to make all the intricate parts and parts in contact with the stone gold so that in case there ever is a tarnish problem, I can clean the silver fairly easily without damaging the stone with chemicals.

mtgtsavupside.JPG

mtgtsavbox.JPG

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock

Greenfreak - love your engagement ring :) You said you are looking for a floral themed wedding band, and I suggest you look at the bands by Beverly K. She has several bands of varying widths. I have a thin band that looks like a vine.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock

MakingTheGrade|1296417598|2837504 said:

Here's a photo of an engagement ring I saved because I loved the design. It reminded me of flower without being overly literal.

Do you know who makes this ring? I love the setting!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Guilty Pleasure|1296694126|2841358 said:
Do you know who makes this ring? I love the setting!

The company is Saturn Jewelery. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results