shape
carat
color
clarity

FIY 2.38c diamond, opinions needed

Ramod

Rough_Rock
Been lurking on Pricescopefor a little bit, lots of great knowledge. I got my eye set on a FIY center diamond for an engagement ring, just wanted your guys opinion on the value/price/look of it. Thanks for any responses in advance.

GIA report:
2.38 carat
FIY
Cushion modified brilliant
VS1, no flouro
VG polish
G symmetry
66% table
68% depth
7.45x7.26x4.94

Price: 30,000 USD

fancy-intense-yellow-cushion-diamond-90579-3_0.jpg
fancy-intense-yellow-cushion-diamond-90579-4.jpg
fancy-intense-yellow-cushion-diamond-90579-5.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
I don't know much about yellow diamonds or diamonds in general. What I don't like about that diamond, though, are the grey areas on the edge of the diamond (see attached photo). I'm not sure what that is called but I see it on fcds commonly and I'm turned off by the effect. Does anyone here know what it's known as?

I like this one (even though it still has some of the aforementioned grey areas): http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamond/202ct-fancy-intense-yellow-cushion-if-95250-16520

fancy-intense-yellow-cushion-diamond-90579-5.jpg

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
Asscherhalo_lover said:
That's called cutting meant to get the best color and not necessarily the best performing cut.

I see. I guess it depends on the person but I wouldn't settle for it. I would wait for an fcd with good colour, cut and performance, especially on a large budget.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is it a Leibish FCD? I tried to find it on their website to view the video but couldn't find it. I would put more stock in a video over a static picture. In any case, the pictures look overexposed so I would not rely solely on them for a final decision.

mcmsinger

Rough_Rock
IMO,

According to multiple pictures you posted and the video...

I would try to find more prices for similar stones for the price.

Is there any treatments they disclosed? If so what treatments to be exact? Did they post a copy of the GIA report online?

The diamond has poor color saturation and very uneven zoning and I honestly believe this does not have to do with cutting... Although it may seem that way going by pictures.

I believe this stone has been laser-drilled/diffused.

If not... I honestly believe this stone is not a good value due to the problems with the cutting/color zoning/saturation mentioned. Also factor in that it's a VS1. For a diamond it's a decent clarity but for $30K? I'd pass especially with the other combined flaws I see.

I understand it's a 2 carat. But in my humble opinon.... Carat size should be on the last value factor. You should first consider color, clarity, cutting and any treatments the stone has for the price. Than factor in carat size.

Many people end up buying a stone just because of carat size and I think that's a mistake. Not making assumptions about why you choose this stone though.

Just honestly believe you can do better than this stone and they only thing going for this stone is the carat size.

If carat size of at least 2 carats is mandatory, I don't know your budget and don't want to make assumptions about it but I suggest seeking a BIT more of a expensive similar stone that is at the 2 carat mark but doesn't have issues with cutting/color at least and maybe on the same clarity grade or even better. Also check for any treatments. Laser-drilled or diffused is a BIG NO NO! Never ever buy a stone with such a treatment.

Shop around.

Find out all the legit wholesalers and do your research.

Just don't rush it. Always compare ALL options from all legit reputable dealers and see which one fits your need, budget and who is giving you the most value for your dollar.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cutting would drive me nuts. For lack of a better term, I would say that stone has significant problems with extinction, which renders quite a bit of it's surface dark/unreflecting of light.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
mcmsinger said:
The diamond has poor color saturation and very uneven zoning and I honestly believe this does not have to do with cutting... Although it may seem that way going by pictures.

I recognize the diamond's photography being from leibish.com - they are very reputable and sell all their diamonds with a GIA report. However I also believe the OP can do better for his budget.

I wouldn't call the saturation poor but that is a personal perception that is different for everyone.

By uneven zoning are you referring to the grey areas or something else? I'm trying to learn more about FCDs.

Thanks.

minousbijoux said:
The cutting would drive me nuts. For lack of a better term, I would say that stone has significant problems with extinction, which renders quite a bit of it's surface dark/unreflecting of light.

Same. People forget how important cut is. Oh, is it called extinction in diamonds too?

mcmsinger

Rough_Rock
Even a reputable dealer can sell you a stone you could have gotten with a bit better of a price elsewhere.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
There is a lot of weight in the pavilion close to the girdle. I'm not particularly well versed in fancy colored diamonds, but I'd like something that weighs almost 2.5cts to face up a bit bigger.

I'm also not a huge fan of the way the stone is reflecting the camera in the video, and obviously in the still photos. But it's hard photographing gems.

Are there other options that you've been considering? It seems as though you have a pretty good sized budget, so I don't think you should settle.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
Hello Ramod. Welcome to PS!

I think you should continue your search. There are much better yellow diamonds out there in your price range.

The diamond is cut very oddly - almost like a gem, rather than a diamond to retain weight. It's definitely not not performing to its potential.

In a great performing diamond, the bottom facets act like little mirrors to reflect light back up to you. This gives the diamond it's spark (fire) and brilliance.

In this diamond, you can see a lot of windows in the video and pictures (areas where you can see right through the diamond). This means light is not coming back up to the eye. It won't be a good sparkler in person. In fact, from the video, it looks pretty dead.

You should post what you like and what you are looking for in the Rocky Talk section of this forum. There are lots of great experts wandering around this site - but I think more of them visit the Rocky Talk section for questions like this though.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
mcmsinger|1393872213|3626527 said:

Mcmsinger,
Where are you getting this tidbit of information? I am surprised Leibish would sell such a stone without disclosure.

mcmsinger

Rough_Rock
Chrono|1393877472|3626640 said:
mcmsinger|1393872213|3626527 said:

Mcmsinger,
Where are you getting this tidbit of information? I am surprised Leibish would sell such a stone without disclosure.

He didn't mentioned treatments or lack of in the OP.

So I assumed it was treated someway because color/cutting and zoning was that bad. I haven't seen any natural stone worse in it's lack of color stability even with the most horrible cuts.

But I clearly implied that it may just be cutting.

mcmsinger

Rough_Rock
I never assumed or accused they would sell without disclosure. I merely assumed they did and maybe perhaps OP didn't check as he didn't list treatments or lack of. Maybe I should have checked the link of the product on the vendor's page. Sorry.

Also GIA reports will grade Laser Drilled stones.

MollyMalone

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leibish.com avows that they sell only natural diamonds that "have not been treated or enhanced in any way" - last FAQ in the first section re Our Diamonds and Jewelry
http://www.leibish.com/faq

They don't hold fast to that, however, in their eBay store; I've seen some black diamonds there that have been heated. and identified as such in the listing.

Ramod

Rough_Rock
Hey guys!

Thanks for all the informative feedback. I thought the stone looked ok from the video. Here's another pic
I got.

image_1321.jpg

Yes so the 2+ carat is important for me.

My criteria is around 2.2-2.4 carats, fiy preferred or a good
Fy. Vs1-vs2 and almost square in cheap (radiant or cushion).
Good face up size is optimal as well.

I've been looking for awhile and this was the best I found. I looked at dbl but nothing fit my criteria

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cut is definitely better but the colour is slightly less intense than the initial FCD you posted. Still, light performance is important and I'd rather this one over the first FCD.

Ramod

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

So scrapped the 2.38 FIY, taken your guys advice. It's not the price, but the beauty.

http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamond/258ct-fancy-yellow-cushion-vvs2-100012-16894
http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamond/250ct-fancy-yellow-radiant-if-84801-15383
http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamond/220ct-fancy-yellow-radiant-if-80071-14919

Now the 2.58 seems both visually very appealing and an amazing price. This is probably due to the larger depth and strong blue fluoresence. I'm assuming the fluro must have quite an effect on the price as the price seems wayy too good to be true for a diamond of that caliber.

The 2.5 is also very nice. A bit of a bowtie effect and extinction on the N/S edges but not much I think? It has a larger depth as well, but now only medium fluor. The price difference is quite drastic around $8000.

The 2.20 is also quite pricy, polish and symmetry bit lacking compared to the other two but very good face up size and depth. Visually, it looks like there's a bit more windowing around the center and dark clouds around the edges then I like. Or perhaps it's just the picture's glare, a bit hard to tell. This stone has no fluro however.

What are your guys opinions? Which stone would you choose and why? Any comments much appreciated.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamond/258ct-fancy-yellow-cushion-vvs2-100012-16894
I don't know how much the strong blue fluoro plays into the appearance of the FCD outdoors and this is a question best posed to Leibish. My experience is that they will be honest and forthright with you. The video is overly white for me so I cannot evaluate the colour and performance accurately.

http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamond/250ct-fancy-yellow-radiant-if-84801-15383
I don't like this particular shade of yellow; it looks like a "dirty" yellow which could account for the lower price.

http://www.leibish.com/yellow-diamond/220ct-fancy-yellow-radiant-if-80071-14919
Would be nice to have a video of this one.

From a colour, clarity and price point, I would pick the 2.58 ct as long as the SB fluoro does not have a negative effect on its colour when under UV lighting. The 2.50 ct is definitely out for me due to the colour. When narrowing down to 2 or 3 FCDs, I would ask for Leibish's opinion since they have the stones in hand and can compare them more fairly.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono et al: I'm honestly not well-versed in the effects of fluor, but doesn't it have the effect of turning a yellow stone whiter/slightly greener in sunlight, or am I making that up? What should the OP look for with fluor - that is, how would you not want it to respond?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Strong blue fluorescence could potentially make a yellow diamond appear paler when viewed under strong UV. Many yellow diamonds fluorescence blue and fortunately, not many will look paler out in the sun.

Ramod

Rough_Rock
Don't you guys think the price is too cheap? Especially if the strong blue flouro has no effect. It seems too good to be true. It's averaging ~7200/carat

I asked the Leibish representative about the strong blue flouro again. He actually mentioned it to me before, when I asked about this stone a couple of weeks ago:

"Although the stone has a St Blue fluorescence it doesn't look milk or cloudy at all and the stone is full of life and luster. Also the St. Blue gives the diamond a stronger yellow color face up so when it will be set with a 18K yellow gold cup underneath it will look as Intense"

I just feel like this stone would have way to much going for it if there wasn't something wrong.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is all about colour; the video of the 2.58 ct is all white making it useless to evaluate colour and performance whilst there is no video for the 2.20 FCD. Slight nuances in colour can affect pricing greatly. Have Leibish photograph or video the two FCDs next to each other for comparison.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ramod|1394038130|3627973 said:
Don't you guys think the price is too cheap? Especially if the strong blue flouro has no effect. It seems too good to be true. It's averaging ~7200/carat

I asked the Leibish representative about the strong blue flouro again. He actually mentioned it to me before, when I asked about this stone a couple of weeks ago:

"Although the stone has a St Blue fluorescence it doesn't look milk or cloudy at all and the stone is full of life and luster. Also the St. Blue gives the diamond a stronger yellow color face up so when it will be set with a 18K yellow gold cup underneath it will look as Intense"

I just feel like this stone would have way to much going for it if there wasn't something wrong.

Your concern is quite legitimate. If I were you, I would ask exactly this of Leibish - what accounts for the lower price? What, if any, negative, does the fluor result in? What in their opinion, are the drawbacks of this stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results