shape
carat
color
clarity

Fitting a new stone to an old ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
As a high school graduation gift my mom got me a sapphire ring from a department store. I''ve worn the ring daily ever since. After I learned about this website I''ve realized that the sapphire quality was far from tops (an opaque navy). I planned on keeping it just the way it is though, primarily out of sentimental value but while my mom and I were shopping for my b-day, she dropped by the fine jewelry country to see if there was anything there that struck my fancy. (A large, beautifully cut aqua pendant did strike my fancy but by that point I knew I could do better going with independent faceters and the jewelers listed here.) Anyway, this is a very long-winded way of saying that I''m not thinking about getting the sapphire replaced in my ring for Christmas.

It''s a 4x6 oval, but I was wondering if an emerald or cushion shape with the 4x6 dimensions would work as well. It''s a 4-prong setting, if that helps. And from my previous readings a stone would have to be within .1 of fitting (i.e. 3.9-4.1 and 5.9-6.1) or is that incorrect?

Thanks in advance for your answer to my very basic question!

P.S. Here''s a hand shot of the ring. The stone usually appears darker than this...the camera was trying to flatter it.
1.gif

hsringsmsize.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Oops, sorry for the HUMONGOUS hand pict. I compressed it as small as I could in my software, but apparently not nearly enough. Here is a close-up shot of the ring, taken with flash. And boy does that make the stone look blue! Definitely makes one wary of some of the picts I'm seeing online, because if this picture can make my ring look this blue then I definitely have to be careful while shopping for a new gemstone.

hsringflash.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
One last picture. My stone color is not quite this dark in real life, there''s more navy to it whereas in this picture it just looks black. Just wanted to give a better idea of what the ring looks like and why I might end up replacing the stone.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Oops, I''m a dingbat and forgot to post the pict. Here it is.

hsringdark.jpg

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Just want to restate my question in case the massive picture in my first post made it hard to read.

Would an emerald or octagon or cushion shaped stone of the same dimensions (6x4) fit in my ring that currently holds an oval stone?

To get a stone to fit in my ring, how much leeway do I need to have? For example, would 6.1x3.9 fit? I think I''ve heard 0.1mm as the amount of leeway there is to get a stone to fit, but I just wanted to confirm this.

Anyone?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Due to the underside of the setting (oval basket), it is best to stick with another 6x4 oval. If not, it will not “seat” properly, in addition to the curved sides of the setting which is calling for another oval.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the setting. It does have gold curves on either side of the oval though, which would make it very very hard to replcace the stone with anything other than an oval.

So happy searching!

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the replies! So, oval it is!

Do I have a 0.1 amount of leeway in terms of finding a stone to fit, or would I have more, or less, or...?

Would a cutter even do a custom order for a stone this size? Since trying to find a stone with the right dimensions is hard enough, much less with the right color, I''m beginning to think that I may need to think of that as an option.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 6 x 4 mm stone is a pretty common calibrated size so you should not have to search very hard. You do have some leeway with size of maybe 0.5 mm each way.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results