shape
carat
color
clarity

First ever gemstone purchase arrived!

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
So my lovely spinel that was found for me by Chrono got here at the end of last week. To say I am happy with it is an understatement, it's so pretty! The picture didn't do it justice at all. It sparkles and the colour is beautiful, and although it's a delicate colour it still has a decent amount of saturation to it.
Took a few quick pictures of it, hope they're okay. If I could get some advice on the different conditions under which to take the photos to show a gem I'd be most grateful :)

This little gem was destined for a ring and I think it still is. I've been really undecided as to which direction to go in for it. I've thought of everything from a halo ring, to a miligrain halo; to a simple design using silver and rose gold, or even just silver.
However, I have really been attracted to the idea of stacking rings, and due to this particular stone being an oval and my new found love for pear and trillion cuts, I think I may have to go in that direction with it, what do you think? I've seen some really beautiful pear shape gems but I've never really liked the way they appear in rings. However I found a picture of some stackable rings that included a pear cut, and also an oval seat east to west (which is how I was thinking of setting this one anyway). How do you think it would look if I was to get a trillion for the third stone? And colour wise I don't know whether to choose colours that are on the same spectrum but different saturation levels (so maybe a hotter pink or paler peach or even something more orangey), or to keep the saturation level the same and just choose gems of a different hue. So pale yellows or mint greens etc.

Also consider having the bezel of this gem in rose gold on a silver band, and having the other rings all silver. I'm collecting together a lot of both silver and rose gold jewellery because I just love the two colours together!

fotor__12_.jpg

fotor__13_.jpg

fotor__14_.jpg

stacking_rings.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
First purchase is thrilling, isn't it? I'm glad you're so happy with it -- that's a special plus. It's hard to tell its size from your pics -- stacking rings are a great idea if it's not too big to go with others, & that's for only you to judge how it looks on your finger.

I'd go for other colors -- your thought of mint green is great, & maybe consider something blue? More-saturated stones in the same general colors would tend to overpower its subtle color. Besides, with different colors you can also wear the rings separately when you're in the mood.

Congratulations! Fun coming up!

--- Laurie

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I love buying loose gems even more than finished jewelry now, which is huge for me!! So I certainly understand your excitement (as most here will, lol).

It's a pretty spinel, enjoy it and show us more pics when you set it please!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Turned out better than I expected as well. :bigsmile: What is your finger size and the mm size of the spinel? This will help give us an idea whether it can be an EW stacker. In general, stackers tend to have similar saturation, some having opposing colour wheel hues and neighbouring hues.

NexivRed

Shiny_Rock
Chrono|1376258851|3500989 said:
Turned out better than I expected as well. :bigsmile: What is your finger size and the mm size of the spinel? This will help give us an idea whether it can be an EW stacker. In general, stackers tend to have similar saturation, some having opposing colour wheel hues and neighbouring hues.

Ring size on the finger I'm planning on wearing it is K or a 5, whichever you work with. Or may need to be 0.5 up from that cos the rings from my left hand are slighter tighter on the right. The mm of the spinel is 7.36 x 5.98.

Currently considering a sort of pale, blue/green tourmaline trillion (5.60mm) and a pear cut aquamarine (7.72 x 4.76). The three pastelly shades seem to go really nice together. The Aquamarine is about the same price the spinel was, and the tormaline is about $15 more, so it's well balanced in that respect. However because of the simple nature of the ring I think I shall stick with all silver this time round.
Can aquamarine hold up as a ring stone? I know zircon and apatite aren't very good ideas, and blue topaz is a little too saturated for the other two stones. Really would like the pear to be a pale blue though. Small, and no more than around £60.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
7x6 mm set EW might be too large to stack with 2 other rings but perhaps just one additional ring will not be overkill. :bigsmile: Aqua is a good occasional wear ring stone. This spinel is likely to be further washed out in a rim of white metal. 2 toned with rose gold might look nicer. Some pale aquas are the same way.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results