shape
carat
color
clarity

First coloured stone purchases!

kiwiflea

Rough_Rock
Hello, I really wanted to share my exciting (to me) first purchases since discovering the wonderful world of coloured stones.

I picked up this tourmaline at a very small local gem club show back in May (here in nz) and have since learned for myself how difficult it is to photograph green stones! It is 8 x 6 and is almost like a peridot in colour but has what I would call a minty colour in the middle, and was very inexpensive.

And more recently a 21.36ct labradorite cab from gemselect which I am going to have made into a pendant for my sister - I am no expert on these stones but I liked the look of it and even happier with how it looks in person. My sister loves labradorite and although it may not have as much of a blue sheen as some I have seen I think she will prefer this one. I am thinking of setting it in a sliding bezel in silver or white gold, with a long pretty chain. Open to suggestions! :D

Thank you for looking!

_8758.jpg

_8759.jpg

_8760.jpg

_8761.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Glad you decided to dip into the coloured waters with those purchases. Interesting first pieces too. What do you plan to do with the tourmaline? What is the mm size of the cabochon?

kiwiflea

Rough_Rock
I hadn't even thought of setting it east west! I will definitely consider it, maybe something with a layout a bit like this but more in the HOW style;

Unfortunately customs costs add on quite a bit for me, but I have found a local jeweller that does custom work so I want to try them out for this piece.

_8769.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Welcome to the world of colored stones. Warning -- it's habit-forming! Great that you have a local jeweler to try -- hope it works out well. The labradorite should delight your sister & I think it would be super set in silver (less expensive than wg too). Here are a few ideas from a Maine jeweler I have bookmarked -- could all be done in silver.

You could use something other than diamonds for the small accents.

beach_comber.jpg

x2421_med1.jpg

x2861_m_med.jpg

x2867_h_med.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We welcome another member into the club of colored stone addicts. :) You did very well with your first purchases and your sister is very lucky.

kiwiflea

Rough_Rock
Thank you all for the warm welcome :) Im not in a hurry to get these set but I appreciate the inspiration - will update when I have some progress!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results